• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: 5 stars SOS for Old Lady and Emperor

Share/Bookmark

5 stars SOS for Old Lady and Emperor

SoundOnSound published reviews of PMI Gold Bundle Pianos Emperor and Old Lady. Both pianos recieved 5 stars.
    See the Dave Stewart SoundOnSound review here!

Dave Stewart on Old Lady:
    The Steinway has a warmer, more lyrical tone with more apparent middle energy.
    I found it a great sound source for composing and arranging.

Emperor:
    Most of the sampled pianos I have played disappointed in one area or another. I was beginning to give up hope of finding a truly inspirational instrument, but PMI's latest releases have given me new faith in the possibility of producing expressive music from a sampled grand.
    Best regards,
    Michiel Post

Thumbs up Re: 5 stars SOS for Old Lady and Emperor

awesome - congratulations

Re: 5 stars SOS for Old Lady and Emperor

Hey, it's Dave Stewart from The Eurythmics!

Quote Originally Posted by Alexcremers
    Heathens

Hi Michiel,

Just one quick question about these two libraries. In the Old Lady review he mentions with regard to pedal up and down samples, "The latter have been cleverly programmed — when layered with the 'pedal up' notes, they play all the time but are muted until the sustain pedal is pressed, at which point they quickly fade up into the mix. This produces a reasonable imitation of the effect of a real piano's sustain pedal." Is this feature also offered with the Emporer?

Also I'll be installing Giga 3 shortly and plan to try the pedal convolution offered with Gigapiano 2 with your Bosendorfer 290. What is your opinion on such convolution and what provides the most realistic pedal sound?

Steve Chandler

Quote Originally Posted by pantonality
    Hi Michiel,

Just one quick question about these two libraries. In the Old Lady review he mentions with regard to pedal up and down samples, "The latter have been cleverly programmed — when layered with the 'pedal up' notes, they play all the time but are muted until the sustain pedal is pressed, at which point they quickly fade up into the mix. This produces a reasonable imitation of the effect of a real piano's sustain pedal." Is this feature also offered with the Emporer?

Also I'll be installing Giga 3 shortly and plan to try the pedal convolution offered with Gigapiano 2 with your Bosendorfer 290. What is your opinion on such convolution and what provides the most realistic pedal sound?

Steve Chandler
    Quick answer: yes. Same in Emperor and Old LAdy.
    Dave tested in GS2, where this trick is the only way to achieve a simple realistic sustain pedal sound that works real-time.
    But in GS3 you don´t need to do use this trick. GigaPulse does the real-time pedal work and the combination of GigaPulse sustain resonance and the real recorded sustain pedal down samples is incredibly realistic.
    The Giga DVD of The Emperor and Old Lady contains both the Giga 2 version (with the performance files Dave explained) and the Giga3 version with the embedded GigaPulse resoncance. Plus a PMI GigaPulse pack with several GigaPulse embedded gig files that you can use to stack on midi channels (with any instrument) to add piano body resonance and room ambience.

The best result? GS3 no doubt! The combination of true recorded sustain samples with added flexible GigaPulse resonances are impossible to detect from a real piano!
    Best regards,
    Michiel Post

Thumbs up Re: 5 stars SOS for Old Lady and Emperor

Congratulations Michiel on such a well-deserved award. Keep up the great work!

Gary Garritan

Quote Originally Posted by Alexcremers
    No, he's not, there are more (and also welknown) Dave Stewarts.

Just like there are also other welknown Peter Roos's

Congratz, Michiel!

BTW: does this mean that my Bosey 290 is now a not-so-good-piano-from-Post?

Quote Originally Posted by PeterRoos
    BTW: does this mean that my Bosey 290 is now a not-so-good-piano-from-Post?
    LOL.
    But serious, the PMI Bos290 recieved a 5 stars SOS rating just a year ago. So don´t worry, your investment is still safe...
    Best regards,
    Michiel Post

Way to go!
    Congrats Michiel.
    Worra
    SampleTekk

Arf, arf, arf...

Go Back to forum