• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Giga Teleport Latency

Share/Bookmark

Giga Teleport Latency

Using 2 P4C800-E Deluxe 3.0 gig computers with a Lynx 2 card in the main cpmputer set at 256 samples, I can only get a clean sound with GVA at a network latency of 1024 which results in a 23 msec latency. Of course on playback everything is fine but 23 msec is a PAIN to play piano with. Is there a way around this? I love being able to load a huge giga template and have it show up in Nuendo's mixer...

Re: Giga Teleport Latency

all depends on your lan - what have you got?

ideally a gigabit nic built into the motherboard on the Neundo PC (ie not a pci gigabit card) - cat5e / cat6 cable, and gigabit switch with jumbo frames support if you want a multi giga/gva setup...

Ian

Ian:
    I have onboard gigabit lan on both Asus P4C800-E motherboards but I'm not using a switch but simply a cat 5 crossover cable between the two computers.

hmm...strange - that should be fine.

I can get mine down to 1.5ms although I get a few dropouts, 6 / 12ms should easily be manageable...

You could try dropping the bit-rate down to 16 and see if there's any improvement but I've not needed to here.

Is there any other apps running which could cause a lan bottleneck? firewall?

Ian

And only enable the TCP/IP protocol under properties, others switch off.

I used FX teleport with a latency off 512 samples latency at 44100 Hz and 32 bit with succes.

Why not using Midi over Lan, record your midinotes into Nuendo and mix down whatever you like? No more latency issues and you can use VST plug-ins in Gigastudio now. Another option is Rewire Gigastudio in V-stack and route the outputs back to Nuendo via Adat in (vst systemlink connection) everything you can mix down with (bad enough some latency but you can compensate). All options are having some disadvantages.

Resident:
    I have tried every tweak in the book (including turning off everything except TCIP) but, under a heavy load (6 or more large instruments almost maxing out the 160 notes) I can still only use a 1028 network latency. Buffer size in GVA and bit rate don't seem to have any effect. At 512, I get lots of intermitent clicks and pops.
    Ian:
    When you say that latency of 6-12 msec should be fine, do you mean sound card latency? My Lynx 2 is set to 128 samples (6 msec) latency and GVA defaults to 512 but clicks there so I have to increase to 1024. Also, other latency settings in my Lynx 2 , both less and more, don't work as well as 128 samples.
    As I said, I love this program but 23 msec (overall) latency is too much for playing instruments in real time.
    Has anyone acheived better latency ( with GVA and Giga 2.54)working on multiple midi channels using big Giga instruments?

I did not use a lan switch but on the FX-max site forum someone told me he used a switch instead of the crosslink cables, he said the overall latency performance was better than with crosslink cable. Maybe this will help for you! Altough it sounds strange to me that it will be faster than with a direct connectiion.

Has anyone acheived better latency ( with GVA and Giga 2.54)working on multiple midi channels using big Giga instruments?
    48 midi track with 48 patch in GS on 3 midi port for 256 samples in GT and 128 in my RME. (It could be more, but the limit was the GS polyphony...)
    Look at my Test 8 here :
    http://www.fx-max.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=589

The problem of GT is the midi steam. Solved by Midi Over LAN (including the Perf Tool).

But I wait GS3 to make a decision about that soft.

Regards

Go Back to forum