• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Meh....

Share/Bookmark

Angry Meh....

Have you ever had one of those days where you have absolutely nothing to do, so you think, "I'm make some music today." So you sit down at your computer, fire up Sonar (or whatever sequencer/notation software you happen to use) get GPO loaded up and then draw a huge blank in the idea department? Well, that was my saturday for ya. I almost feel like I wasted a day because I didn't really do anything constructive (almost being the key word). So I'm going to go to bed now, in hopes that in about 10 minutes after the lights go out, all those random ideas that come into my head when I can't do anything with them will return. But I'll show them, I'll leave Sonar running, so that when they do pop up, I can make the quick trip from my bed to my computer (a grand total of about 2 seconds + however long it takes me to get unlazy and out of bed). Hopefully I can keep my inspiration for that long. Sorry to rant...meh...
    Tim

Re: Meh....

Man this place is dead tonight

Quote Originally Posted by DPDAN

Man this place is dead tonight
    Well, perhaps you could tie two cats tails together in a knot, then set off a cherry bomb! The cats would not think it amusing, but it would wake things up, I do believe.

(No, I would not really do such a thing. My cats would prefer playing snuggle bunny on my lap to chasing buttterflies.)

Richard Wayland

I once had lunch with harpist Andreas Vollenweider and the topic of composition came up. I asked how he got his ideas for his songs. He said he kept paper and pencil near his bed and he would recall his dreams or fleeting musical ideas and quickly jot them down. This approach seems to have worked as he later went on to win a Grammy.

I hope you can capture your musical dreams as well. Sweet lucid dreams.

Gary Garritan

Quote Originally Posted by tgfoo
    Have you ever had one of those days where you have absolutely nothing to do, so you think, "I'm make some music today." So you sit down at your computer, fire up Sonar (or whatever sequencer/notation software you happen to use) get GPO loaded up and then draw a huge blank in the idea department? Well, that was my saturday for ya. I almost feel like I wasted a day because I didn't really do anything constructive (almost being the key word). So I'm going to go to bed now, in hopes that in about 10 minutes after the lights go out, all those random ideas that come into my head when I can't do anything with them will return. But I'll show them, I'll leave Sonar running, so that when they do pop up, I can make the quick trip from my bed to my computer (a grand total of about 2 seconds + however long it takes me to get unlazy and out of bed). Hopefully I can keep my inspiration for that long. Sorry to rant...meh...

Sometimes reading novels gives great ideas. I got this japanese comic series stashed in my room entitled - "Love Hina", spans 14 small books, and I've gotten numerous ideas for different pieces. Okay, maybe I shouldn't have said that. :-D

I woke up and decided I would try to work on my orchestration contest piece, right after I finished my C++ project for my computer science class.

And I'm still working on that stupid C++ project! Arg!

Of course, I still procrastinate by taking the time to visit forums
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

Quote Originally Posted by Garritan
    I once had lunch with harpist Andreas Vollenweider
    That's a typo, right?? Or have I just not been up on things...

Quote Originally Posted by tgfoo
    Have you ever had one of those days where you have absolutely nothing to do, so you think, "I'm make some music today."
    Nothing to do?? Make music?? Yeah, I had one back around 1997...
    (OK, and that one day last week when I did the Bach thing. There's not another in the forseeable future though... GRRRRRR!!)

BTW, I became convinced at one point I was writing these masterpiece soundtracks to my dreams, so I really made an effort to remember the music when I woke up. (I lose dream content almost immediatly when I wake.) It was always one of two things:
    1) Yep, that's a masterpiece!! That someone else already wrote 200 years ago...
    2) Yep, that's a masterpiece! Well, if you consider Three Blind Mice a masterpeice...

Hey tgfoo, i think it's natural and most composers get it at some point due to stress and the feeling that they "are not creating enough"

I have had long periods of compositional black-outs and i always got depressed during them fearing that i'll never write music again . But it always comes back after you let yourself go ( Forget music ) and relax a bit while absorbing influences

It's good not to stress for music or put pressure on yourself because that is exactly the opposite thing of what music is , i do it lots of time as well and the result is always dissapointing and regreted . Some of my best ideas come when i am testing a new synth for example so i make a test song with anything i come up to with no pressure-> No pressure , no thoughts -> freedom.

It's good to have a Video game console as well , when you've got some spare time, try let go and play a nice RPG like the Final Fantasy series. They have so many emotions and beautiful music that will get your creativity reaching to Clipping points

In the older days, composers went out for a walk and absorbed everything around them , some heard the birds and nature and tried to replicate it with instruments . Today it's harder to do that ,but still it exists in a different way . I was listening to the bus the other day for example go "bru,bru,bru,bru" and i thought that could be a nice loop base for a City Song or something

Relax -> the secret to a happy life
    Theo Krueger - Composer

www.TheoKrueger.com

Kontakt 2 Scripts

Have you ever listened to so much beautiful music, that you just feel like nothing? You feel like no matter how hard you try to compose, you'll never have the ability to write like the masters? Sometimes listening to the wonderful music of others just makes me inferior . . .

I mean, I feel like this when I'm listening to music:

But I feel like this when I think about my own abilities:

Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

Go Back to forum