• Register
  • Help

Topic: Tack piano/Dulcitone?

Share/Bookmark

Tack piano/Dulcitone?

Hi.

Can anyone point me towards a good GS sample of a tack piano? I have the Rain Piano and love it. But I'm looking more for that bright Beatles-esque sound--a piano that will cut through a dense pop track. I remember browsing through the great Beatles Gear book and reading that John had an upright modified.

Any suggestions. Maybe this is a project for one of the great piano developers that frequent these forums.

Also, another request for developers. How about a Dulcitone--although I've never heard one and I know very little about this rare instrument, it looks really interesting. I think the true beauty of sampling is its ability to bring super rare instruments into the hands of the masses.

Thanks,
    Justin

Re: Tack piano/Dulcitone?

Quote Originally Posted by Justin_
    Hi.

Can anyone point me towards a good GS sample of a tack piano? I have the Rain Piano and love it. But I'm looking more for that bright Beatles-esque sound--a piano that will cut through a dense pop track. I remember browsing through the great Beatles Gear book and reading that John had an upright modified.

Any suggestions. Maybe this is a project for one of the great piano developers that frequent these forums.

Also, another request for developers. How about a Dulcitone--although I've never heard one and I know very little about this rare instrument, it looks really interesting. I think the true beauty of sampling is its ability to bring super rare instruments into the hands of the masses.

Thanks,
    Justin

http://www.whatisthecrypt.com/intro.htm

I heard through the wilting grapevine that a prepared piano and dulcimer will be included among lots of other things - but no confirmed reports yet.... Alan is staying very quiet about it

Lightbulb Re: Tack piano/Dulcitone?

Hi Justin, I don't know if it's exactly what you're looking for but we have a Upright Piano collection www.vintaudio.com , in the library there's a 1908 Clinton Upright, Sound On Sound gave the library 5 stars out of 5, the review is available on our website also.

Kindly
    Franky
    Vintaudio
    www.vintaudio.com

Siedlaczek's Total Piano available at soundsonline.com has a very good tack piano and a very bright grand. One of the UK music mags (Electronic Music or Future Music maybe?) last spring had some samples of Abbey Road's Steinway upright that the Beatles used. And despite is being only a single velocity layer it's not bad at all. They called it a tack piano eventhough it technically is not. They treated the hammers to be harder to give the piano a brighter sound, but it was not tacks in the hammers. Sometimes the bright sounding pianos were recorded at different speeds than the rest of the tracks to give them a different sound. Unless I'm very much mistaken the honky tonk sound in Rocky Raccoon was achieved that way.

I've never seen a sample set of a Dulcitone (which is NOT even remotely like a dulcimer) either, but would love to find one. The only recorded example of the Dulcitone that I know of is in Fiona Apple's first record, played by Jon Brion.

Daniel

Hi everyone. Thanks for the input. I'll check out the Clinton Upright--it may be just the sound I'm looking for. With all of the great grand pianos on the market now, I think its time to develop great multi-samples of smaller more unique, and dare I say quirky keyboard instruments.

Daniel, I've always been interested in John Brion's production techniques. I really like his choices in instrumentation. Living here in LA, I've met a couple 2nd engineers that have worked on Brion scoring sessions (Eternal Sunshine, Huckabees). He has quite an arsenal of rare keyboard instruments--including a Dulicitone. From what I understand, it is a precurssor to the celeste. But it sounds a little different in tone. Thomas Machell and Sons made them up until the 1920s I believe. But I could be wrong on that one.

Justin

Also, the PMI Historical Instruments Fortepaino works great as a tack piano type sound in a contemporary setting, either alone or blended with a modern piano. Plus, for not much money at all you'll also have two terrific harpsichords and a virginaal. I *love* this library.

Talking Re: Tack piano/Dulcitone?

I've got both the Rain Piano and Total piano - both of which I love for that Beatle-ish pop sound. I think the Rain piano is actually the best option, especially if you seal the deal by putting it through UAD's Fairchild emulation, just like the old Abbey Road compressors...

To my ears, the careful use of eq, compression, and even bits of distortion and other effects are the real secret to getting that old old old school sound.

All that said, I'd love to see more libraries in this kind of area. I find there are way too many uber-clean symphony style sample libs out there, and not enough quirky 'real' sounds.

cheers

Quote Originally Posted by timby

To my ears, the careful use of eq, compression, and even bits of distortion and other effects are the real secret to getting that old old old school sound.
    That's very true. If you're not necesarily going for a tack piano, but that old piano ala Beatles/Todd Rundgren, you can do it with, say, the Bos 290 that comes with GS3. (I did this today, that's why it's on my mind). Remember those were nice pianos, just mustated to work in pop settings. Just mess with a heavy, yet good sounding limiter and dump a lot of low end to cut through a rock mix. It's an awesome sound. And yes, amp simulators can defeintely work!!

Quote Originally Posted by Justin_

Daniel, I've always been interested in John Brion's production techniques. I really like his choices in instrumentation. Living here in LA, I've met a couple 2nd engineers that have worked on Brion scoring sessions (Eternal Sunshine, Huckabees). He has quite an arsenal of rare keyboard instruments--including a Dulicitone. From what I understand, it is a precurssor to the celeste. But it sounds a little different in tone. Thomas Machell and Sons made them up until the 1920s I believe. But I could be wrong on that one.

Justin
    The Dulcitone is a Scottish made instrument that basically uses hammers to strike tuning forks, similar to a celeste, but pretty different. I like to describe it as an acoustic Rhodes. I saw one for sale on ebay several months ago but it was too high for me. Jon uses a little Jenco celeste as well. He had it with him when I saw him at Largo a year ago (I live in Texas, can't get to Largo very often). Anyway, the Tack Piano in the Total Piano disk sounds very similar to the sound Jon got in Punchy Tack Piano from the Punch Drunk Love soundtrack. I have the Vintaudio Uprights and they are well worth the money and great for when you want a nice imperfect piano sound.

Daniel

Go Back to forum