• Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Mrs. Cheyney

Share/Bookmark

Thumbs down Mrs. Cheyney

sponsored links

***Advertisments***
    In reply to Franstien's debate comment of the Cheyney's daughter:

"This is not a good man, this not a good man! What a cheap and paultry shot!"

Truest words all week.

Re: Mrs. Cheyney

It was Kerry's weakest moment in the debate.

-JF

I think Mrs. Cheney is too sensitive, and she and her husband are trying to blow this all out of proportion for political gain.

Cheney has talked about his gay daughter during the campaign many times, and Edwards mentioned her in the VP debate, to which Cheney thanked him for his kind words.

I believe Kerry when he says he was just using her as an example.

P.S. - A few corrections:
    - it is "Cheney"
    - her quote was "a cheap and tawdry political trick"

I don't see why she thought it was in any way bad. Her husband has spoken of his daughter often. I think Kerry and Edwards' attempt was to make it clear to Bush and Cheney that they were using gays like Cheney's own daughter as a cheap political trick to divide the nation.

In any case, it was a strange moment, watching Bush, unable to say what he knows his evangelical base wants to hear about homosexuality, have to speak of gays in relatively glowing terms. I wonder if it hurt him with the far right.

The reference probably enraged the Right, but for all the wrong reasons. The religious right would take the reference as a slur, a kin to saying there's insanity in Cheney's family. It's just not something you ought'a be saying in public. True, but not decent to mention publicly.

JG

Plus, Bush himself is in denial. He’s from Midland, Texas – “Where men are men and sheep are afraid!”

"So what if some parts of life are a crap shoot? Get out there and shoot the crap." -- Neil Peart
    Hint:1.6180339887498948482 Φ

Quote Originally Posted by Think_About_It
    In reply to Franstien's debate comment of the Cheyney's daughter:

"This is not a good man, this not a good man! What a cheap and paultry shot!"

Truest words all week.
    What's the big deal? Cheney talked about her in the v.p. debate and so did Edwards. Nobody said a friggin' word. Now all of a sudden they're upset? They must've seen the snap polls that give the debate to Kerry.

And all Kerry had to say was something nice.

When I first read the above quote, I thought she was talking about Bush. Better fit.

I think the thing that bothers me about Mrs. Cheney's response is that she seems to be ashamed of her daughter's sexuality. To have her say that Kerry is "not a good person" for mentioning it public tells me that she considers her daughter's lesbianism to be "dirty laundry" or something that shouldn't be spoken about.
    I would think you would be proud of your child's courage to come out...especially if you come from a Republican family.
    Had this been my child and Kerry would have mentioned it, I would have said, "Damn right! You keep on keepin' on there, Kerry."
    ...but...then...that's probably why I'm not a politician.
    ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by zquarles
    I think the thing that bothers me about Mrs. Cheney's response is that she seems to be ashamed of her daughter's sexuality. To have her say that Kerry is "not a good person" for mentioning it public tells me that she considers her daughter's lesbianism to be "dirty laundry" or something that shouldn't be spoken about.
    I would think you would be proud of your child's courage to come out...especially if you come from a Republican family.
    Had this been my child and Kerry would have mentioned it, I would have said, "Damn right! You keep on keepin' on there, Kerry."
    ...but...then...that's probably why I'm not a politician.
    ;-)
    They're acting like Kerry outed the daughter. Huh? She's been out for ages. It's all politics.

By the way, Mrs. Cheney wrote a lesbian novel a few years back. Wonder what that was all about....

In all honesty, I thought it was stupid of Edwards to bring it up, and I admit that I cringed when Kerry brought it up this time. But Kerry quickly said some very good things right after that. I wish he weren't against gay marriage, but at least he said that gay couples should have equal rights.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast