• Register
  • Help

Topic: 15 high school students listen to Demos!

Share/Bookmark

Thumbs up 15 high school students listen to Demos!

My oldest daughter had a sleep over last night with 15 of her lovely high school friends. Somehow we to talking got on the subject of music, band, orchestra and GPO. I have to admit I was quite surprised at their interest in what I had to tell them. I told them to stay away from that guy who lives near the old ... no wait, that's a different story. Sorry.
    Anyway, to make a short story long, we ended up in my studio listening to the compilation CD I made of your demos. Too bad my PC wasn't working to actually demonstrate how it all works. (This is where I could have used J.B. help) Basically, we went up on the GPO home page and listened to more demos on one of the girls lap top. They were truly interested and two of them are musician in the school orchestra. One plays viola, the other flute. Both are coming back when I have my PC. Both were quite blown away at all of your demos and could not believe it was sampled sounds.
    Gary, you are making quite an impact!
    Styxx

Re: 15 high school students listen to Demos!

That's pretty neat. Is GPO making inroads into the schools? I would think it would be a wonderful educational tool for kids.

Some of my friends seem to have a hard time understanding the sound sample concept, so what I've done with several folks is this:

I ask them to sustain a melodic note they sing into a microphone that I record with my wave editor. Then I save the file (I might name it the janetphone if my friend's name is Janet, just for kicks.) Then I throw the wav into Kontakt, and start playing the sample we've just made on the keyboard. Of course the sample isn't very good or anything. But then I can explain that if we made multiple recordings on high quality microphones with real instruments and layered them, etc...

... and then people get the basic idea. I then display for them various sounds from the GPO library. No one in my little world who has heard them is anything less than astonished and impressed.

Quote Originally Posted by Quasar
    That's pretty neat. Is GPO making inroads into the schools? I would think it would be a wonderful educational tool for kids.

Some of my friends seem to have a hard time understanding the sound sample concept, so what I've done with several folks is this:

I ask them to sustain a melodic note they sing into a microphone that I record with my wave editor. Then I save the file (I might, just for kicks name it the janetphone if my friend's name is Janet, just for kicks.) Then I throw the wav into Kontakt, and start playing the sample we've just made on the keyboard. Of course the sample isn't very good or anything. But then I can explain that if we made multiple recordings on high quality microphones with real instruments and layered them, etc...

... and then people get the basic idea. I then display for them various sounds from the GPO library. No one in my little world who has heard them is anything less than astonished and impressed.
    Judging from this, I am hoping that the wedding suite I am writing for my wedding will blow the guests away!!! That will be truly awesome, especially since I have GOS and its still blowing me away!!!

I guess the only thing about it is that once you are in the game, you know it and it doesn't come as a surprise anymore... I would have loved it to be able to demo stuff we have now about 7 years ago, cos somehow when I gain knowledge in this area by "evolving" with technology, it somehow minimises the impact of what these great tools can do... Hmmmm...

meeehoon

When I bought GPO I was in high school (I think it was in May) and my peers were quite impressed. I kind of feel bad though, because they listened to a piece I wrote and say "So you play the violin?" and I have to admit that I don't play any instruments. But they are very surprised to find that it is all done on the computer. And my string dynamics aren't even that good!
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

Go Back to forum