• Register
  • Help

Topic: Sustaining sound with non-looped samples

Share/Bookmark

Sustaining sound with non-looped samples

I've noticed that many good sample libraries focusing on acoustic instruments use non-looped samples- many times any given note can last around 4-5 seconds before silence occurs.

This has been problematic for me in certain instances where I write a long-sustained tone in one or more of the voices- with brass and winds I rarely encounter this since one must consider breathing for these instruments... it is more with the strings that I am wondering about.

With so many solo and even ensemble string libraries using non-looped samples, how does one achieve the essential longer tones needed occasionally in music?

I understand that a bow can only go for so long- of course a bow change must be implied... what are some easy or at least practical ways around this problem. Will this require the editing of each sample to include a loop point... I hope not.

I am using Gigastudio Orchestra with Finale 04.
    Jason DeWater aka Lickety-Split
    Very busy, yet always unproductive.
    Some of my music is here:
    http://www.audiostreet.net/jasondewater

Re: Sustaining sound with non-looped samples

Would just extending the Hold and Decay times help? And in Giga, clicking on Infinite for all the samples and layers?

If the notes still decay too naturally for the effect you want, you might want to try one of the software synths that can emulate strings, although the sound won't be that of a actual strings.

Re: Sustaining sound with non-looped samples

Quote Originally Posted by Lickety-Split
    I've noticed that many good sample libraries focusing on acoustic instruments use non-looped samples- many times any given note can last around 4-5 seconds before silence occurs.

This has been problematic for me in certain instances where I write a long-sustained tone in one or more of the voices- with brass and winds I rarely encounter this since one must consider breathing for these instruments... it is more with the strings that I am wondering about.

With so many solo and even ensemble string libraries using non-looped samples, how does one achieve the essential longer tones needed occasionally in music?

I understand that a bow can only go for so long- of course a bow change must be implied... what are some easy or at least practical ways around this problem. Will this require the editing of each sample to include a loop point... I hope not.

I am using Gigastudio Orchestra with Finale 04.
    It depends. With a solo bowed string instrument a rebow would be expected especially when playing forte. However there may be times when you just want to extend the the bow a little without rebowing.

Of course in string sections rebows are not noticable because players do not rebow all at the same time.

In all cases it is best to put a rebow or bow extension on a seperate midi track.

For a rebow you need a fast attack with not too much noise. If there is too much noise, or if the sample attack is too slow, it is worth using sample offset in GS editor to miss out to first portion and setting the attack time as sounds best (It's worth having this as a seperate instrument in the art file). A little overlap with the initial bow helps.

For a bow extension it is best use more overlap and cross-fade using CC11, to avoid sounding any of the natural attack in the sample.

Go Back to forum