• Register
  • Help

Topic: Gigastudio and GPO on the same PC!!!

Share/Bookmark

Angry Gigastudio and GPO on the same PC!!!

Hi all,

I recently received GPO (Yippiee!!) and experienced some frustration in getting my midi controller to work. I already had Gigastudio 160 installed and working perfectly (that didn't changed after installing GPO). I am using the RME audio card HDSP 9652 which has two Midi inputs.

I could always get GigaStudio to play using my Midi controller (Korg Triton), but for some reason GPO would never see my controller. After much trial and error i finally decided to do something crazy and unplug the Midi cable from the RME input 1 and plug it into Midi input 2. As soon as i do this i am able to play GPO through my controller but now GigaStudio won’t recognize my controller (argh!).

I take it that whichever program launches first (GPO or GigaStudio) seizes the Midi port not allowing the other program to use it - even if only one program is running at a time (I’m not trying to run both programs at the same time).

The frustrating part in this is having to go behind the PC and redirect the Midi cable to use GPO or GigaStudio. Has anyone else experienced this problem? Am i just an idiot and there's a real easy solution that I’m missing? :-)

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Regards,
    Daniel

Re: Gigastudio and GPO on the same PC!!!

Quote Originally Posted by DJ
    Hi all,
    I take it that whichever program launches first (GPO or GigaStudio) seizes the Midi port not allowing the other program to use it - even if only one program is running at a time (I’m not trying to run both programs at the same time).

The frustrating part in this is having to go behind the PC and redirect the Midi cable to use GPO or GigaStudio. Has anyone else experienced this problem? Am i just an idiot and there's a real easy solution that I’m missing? :-)

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Regards,
    Daniel
    You're correct that whatever program launches first grabs the midi input port. However, you shouldn't have to go behind the pc and switch cables. You should be able to point them both to the same input port. The first app will grab it, and the second app will not see it as available. As long as the first app gets completely shut down prior to launching the second, you should be okay.

If shutting the first app down still leaves the port unavailable for the second app when you launch it, then shut down the second app. Then, bring up Task Manager and take a look at the processes (not applications) tab; specifically, look for the name of the first program's executable (.exe) file. It's possible that it did not shut down gracefully and is still paritally running, i.e. a thread has remained active that's keeping that midi port open. Select that exe and then select End Process (ignoring the Will Robinson message about how that's a Bad Thing - a ghosted process is a bad thing, too). Make sure the second app is also shut down. Once they're both down, you should be able to launch the second app and access the input port.

Of course, shutting down apps via the Task Manager is in general something to avoid, but if an app doesn't shut down gracefully it's your only option short of a reboot.

Hope this gets you past the problem. If not, let me know and we'll chase it further.
    Christopher Duncan
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Author of
    Unite the Tribes and The Career Programmer
    www.PracticalUSA.com

Thumbs up Re: Gigastudio and GPO on the same PC!!!

Thanks Christopher,

I'm not sure what changed, but it's all of a sudden working fine when selecting one app at a time. I'm sure it was user error. :-)

Take care,
    Daniel

Re: Gigastudio and GPO on the same PC!!!

Quote Originally Posted by DJ
    Thanks Christopher,

I'm not sure what changed, but it's all of a sudden working fine when selecting one app at a time. I'm sure it was user error. :-)

Take care,
    Daniel
    Happy to help, or at least further confuse matters.
    Christopher Duncan
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Author of
    Unite the Tribes and The Career Programmer
    www.PracticalUSA.com

Go Back to forum