• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Instrumentation tutorial online?

Share/Bookmark

Instrumentation tutorial online?

I've read Alan Belkin's book about orchestration. In it he says:

"For our purposes, orchestration follows instrumentation, where the student will have learnt how instruments work, and what is reasonably playable by a good professional."

Well, I've clearly haven't learned this yet... I have lot's of questions about REALISTIC instrumentation. Like how...

... soft or hard
    ... high or low
    ...fast or slow
    ....short or long

...each instrument can be used. You obviously won't let a tuba play a part for a piccolo. But I'd really like to know the possibilities and limitiations of all instruments regarding the points I just mentioned (and other which I've forgotten).

Anyone here knows a site (something good like Alan Belkin's) which tells me about about this?

(BTW Is it possible to play impossible high notes on instruments using GPO? Are the instruments limited to realistic scales or not?)

Smile Re: Instrumentation tutorial online?

The Vienna Symphonic Library site has a good instrumentation tutorial.

And yes, the ranges in GPO are realistic.

Good luck,

Alan

Quote Originally Posted by hellogood
    I've read Alan Belkin's book about orchestration. In it he says:

"For our purposes, orchestration follows instrumentation, where the student will have learnt how instruments work, and what is reasonably playable by a good professional."

Well, I've clearly haven't learned this yet... I have lot's of questions about REALISTIC instrumentation. Like how...

... soft or hard
    ... high or low
    ...fast or slow
    ....short or long

...each instrument can be used. You obviously won't let a tuba play a part for a piccolo. But I'd really like to know the possibilities and limitiations of all instruments regarding the points I just mentioned (and other which I've forgotten).

Anyone here knows a site (something good like Alan Belkin's) which tells me about about this?

(BTW Is it possible to play impossible high notes on instruments using GPO? Are the instruments limited to realistic scales or not?)

Re: Instrumentation tutorial online?

I suggest you also take a look into Adler's book on orchestration. Every orchestral intrument is described in there and he mentions all ranges and capabilities. Very good read. I read it about 10 times in the last 6 years.

About your other question: You can't play in ranges the instrument can't reach. Sadly some instruments have been limited so much that you often can't play in the extreme (but perfectly acceptable) registers. That was the reason why I had to buy the full version of Kontakt: I edited nearly every instrument in GPO to make the ranges realistic.

And this is the reason why I fear the nearing update: I will have to edit them all over again. This will take some manhours.... haha...

First of all: I'm VERY glad the instruments have realistic ranges! I like that!

Secondly: I cannot find that Vienna Symphonic Library tutorial and I wonder if that Adler book is a REAL book or not...? I don't want real books. Well, I DO want them, but I don't have the money for it... I prefer online tutorials and books...

Ah yes, the Adler is a real book, and quite a good real book at that. There are many of good orchestration sites up around, though I can't think of any of the top of my head, but ask around the forums and I'm sure you'll find some good information.
    Tim

Smile Re: Instrumentation tutorial online?

Here is the URL for the VSL tutorial:

http://vsl.co.at/english/pages/instr...few__words.htm

Quote Originally Posted by hellogood
    First of all: I'm VERY glad the instruments have realistic ranges! I like that!

Secondly: I cannot find that Vienna Symphonic Library tutorial and I wonder if that Adler book is a REAL book or not...? I don't want real books. Well, I DO want them, but I don't have the money for it... I prefer online tutorials and books...

Thanks for the link! But er.. doesn't anyone have anymore links...? There's got to be more! Google gives me too much results and not the ones I need... This link looks very good but it's quit difficult to print it all, which I prefer (so I can keep it beside me when I'm using GPO).

Hope no one minds if I 'bump' this topic... Thres' got to be more out there... And I'm dying for a good read because GPO still hasn't arrived yet...

Thanks for posting the VSL tutorial (perhaps a better direct link to it is:

http://vsl.co.at/english/pages/instr...s/overview.htm

)

Very comprehensive covering of a lot of the intrument info found in orchestration texts! I will come back to this often.
    - robjohn

Sorry that I keep on bumping this topic... That VSL link is indeed awesome but almost impossible to print... Isn't there something similar on another site or as a pdf which I can download...? I'm sure I'm not the only one here who needs this basic information about all instruments in a printable way...

EDIT:
    Maybe 'Francesco Marchetti's GPO Tutorial' is exactly what I need (the subscription of it seems good to me!) : any news on when it comes available?

Go Back to forum