• Register
  • Help

Topic: How do I Submit for Xmas CD?

Share/Bookmark

How do I Submit for Xmas CD?

Hi All,

I now have 9 days vacation from work, and am going to finish a GPO Silent Night for the Holiday CD.

This is embarassing to ask, but how does one submit a demo? And how does one submit the holiday music which DPDAN generously offered to master?

I just need specific instructions for what to do. Pardon my ignorance, but I really don't know exactly how to proceed once I have the work ready to go.

Thanks,

Re: How do I Submit for Xmas CD?

Hi Quasar, nothing to be embarrased about. Gary has not yet confirmed that I will be mastering the project. If I were you, I would go ahead and make or finish what you have worked on for this Holiday CD. There is no need to submit a demo, just the finished piece/s. The songs should be stereo on audio CD. Now, I think your question about submitting demos perhaps is on a different subject than the Holiday CD. If that's the case, you need to convert your stereo audio CD to an MP3, then upload it to a web space or website if you have one. If you don't have webspace, you can buy space really cheap. Karl Garrett introduced me to mydocs online
    I have 120 meg and it costs $35.00 a year, you can also get 50 meg for $10.00 quarterly.
    It's really easy to use, simply upload your files, pictures, MP3's anything else you want. If you want people to be able to access the file, place it in the public folder after you upload it. Once you have the file uploaded, copy it's url, and paste it into your post. I use it to store my MP3 files that I have placed on this forum as well as sending the link to friends and family through email. It works great! Hopefully Gary can clarify an exact date and other details soon.
    DPDan

Thanks, man! My ISP has a deal wherein I can set-up 10mb, but $35 for 120mb sounds like a great deal. I'm going to look into this today.

While I can and have sent mp3 files of my music to friends, a wav or CD file is another matter altogether. I don't know that my dial-up will handle this.

So if we're talking audio CD submissions, then we're actually sending physical CD disks through the Postal Service, right? If so, then we would need an address to send it to.

BTW, I entirely agree with you that mp3 is not the way to go. I've heard it said that one can't really hear the difference, but I can hear a profound difference, and I suspect that most musicians, folks who would participate in a forum like this, can as well.

Thanks again for offering to "take the ball" on this one. I hope that Gary gives you the green light.

Regards,

PS: If this is to be all done electronically, I do have easy access to a T1 line at work, and could do it that way, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Quasar
    So if we're talking audio CD submissions, then we're actually sending physical CD disks through the Postal Service, right? If so, then we would need an address to send it to.
    As long as Gary agrees that the submitted songs should be on CD and not MP3s, then yes, they would need to be mailed. I don't want to sound like, or come across like I am indeed mastering this CD because Gary has not told me one way or another as I said earlier. Just in case I will be mastering at least some guidelines will have been made. Mastering is part of my living as an audio engineer, two years ago I recorded a "Live" Christmas CD in Nashville for some friends. They are two guitarist's, backup singers, bass player and drummer for Jimmy Buffett's band. Anyway, thanks for your compliments. Have a great day!
    Dan

BTW, I entirely agree with you that mp3 is not the way to go. I've heard it said that one can't really hear the difference, but I can hear a profound difference, and I suspect that most musicians, folks who would participate in a forum like this, can as well.
    Well, MP3 always means a certain amount of compression, but a 44100Hz, 320kbps MP3 file is ridiculously close to an uncompressed PCM, signed, 16-bit WAVE. The difference is almost inaudible.

Go Back to forum