• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: How many compositions have you written?

Share/Bookmark

How many compositions have you written?

In your composing lifetime, how many compositions would you say you've written?

Also, which 'style' of music.

I ask this because, I often get ideas to write for strange ensemble works like tuba, oboe, flute, and timpani, for the sole purpose of exploring the timbral textures it might provide.

Do you guys do this kind of stuff in your spare time? or do you only compose things that might help you make some $$$$. :-D

Re: How many compositions have you written?

I would say I have composed about 30 fulls pieces. I have about 800-1000 unfinished however...lol. I compose every day whenever I get a chance.

Yes, 'finished' or 'unfinished'? Unfinished perhaps 500. Very few finished. I compose relaxing and melodic music for the piano.

On a find *.wrk ( cakewalk files ) in my folder i got exactly 1700 files, add a few more older ones that i have stored on backup cds ( don't know how many ) that's around 7 years of midi-ing .
    Most of them are unfinished -> Experiments, sound explorations, different genres etc.
    I have never made anything for money yet . Hopefuly soon !

Wow! Awesome guys.

Thanks for those gr8 responses!

Quote Originally Posted by EricRichmond
    In your composing lifetime, how many compositions would you say you've written?

Also, which 'style' of music.

I ask this because, I often get ideas to write for strange ensemble works like tuba, oboe, flute, and timpani, for the sole purpose of exploring the timbral textures it might provide.

Do you guys do this kind of stuff in your spare time? or do you only compose things that might help you make some $$$$. :-D

DO IT.
    If it sounds as good as music as it does as an idea, you have no choice.
    Simple.

No questions.
    B

Unfinished: 740....I'm in the process of finishing some of them...haven't even started composing anything yet...

Me? Just one. It won't be finished until I die, but it has lots and lots of movements.

-JF

When I just started composing I finished lots of tunes, maybe 1 a week for a 1 year or two. In the past year I've finished maybe 3 tunes... if only the quality was inversely proportional to the quantity.

Are we including everything? Songs, full orchestral compositions, commercials, bumpers, individual cues?

If so, then for the finished things, say 500-ish? Just a wild guess.

John

Go Back to forum