• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Gigastudio 1 gig ceiling raised?

Share/Bookmark

Gigastudio 1 gig ceiling raised?

Has the 1 gig ceiling in GS2.5 been raised in GS3?

Re: Gigastudio 1 gig ceiling raised?

Apparently the Orchestra version will use as much RAM as your system is able. 2 Gigs for Windows, up to 8 gigs for a Mac. Or so I've been told.

S.
    Steven J. Kukla
    Kuklamusic.com

According to Dave Govett's post over at the VSL forums, its still the 1GB limit (or 1.2gb tweaked, when you got 2gb system ram).

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_K
    Apparently the Orchestra version will use as much RAM as your system is able. 2 Gigs for Windows, up to 8 gigs for a Mac. Or so I've been told.
    Steve, you're probably thinking about the unlimited polyphony for GS3 Orchestra. Also, Giga is PC-only.

Oh well, GS3 loads more samples and loads them faster than GS2.5 did. I'm not sure if it's due to shorter sample heads or compression.

The fast load is the cool thing for me. In the past the load time was so slow that I wanted everything at once in a fixed template. Now, I "point and shoot" at whatever articulation I want at the time. Rendering the strings, then loading the wind samples, then the brass would also be fairly painless. We're talking about something like two minutes to load up a RAM-full performance.

I knew that I wanted the samples to load faster, but I didn't appreciate how great it would turn out to be.

-JF

I could definitely load 2x as much of gigs on my 1.5 Gb RAM pc compared with my older 768 mb pc, with Giga2.5. Both were tweaked. Too bad the older one is too slow to run v.3 now.

So which is it..? Is it a fact that GS3 can load more samples, or what? Sounds like you guys aren't quite sure. If the registry tweak would work for win2k, than I wouldn't be too concerned about it, but I hear for win2k it's hit and miss.. usually miss.

I think it loads more samples. A lot of the gigs I'm using now are in 24 bit, so you don't realise at first that's some extra data with every sample (8 bits added 44100 times per second). With my current polyphony settings, the RAM meter starts at 3%. My registry tweaks are set to maximum FFFFFFFF (hexadecimal), which lets the registry determine the highest value possible.

But you don't really know! You think! Bad! I need a definite answer akin to "Yes, water is moist." or "Fire is hot."

For a product long hyped, greatly anticipated, and now OUT - it still seems to be a mystery... nobody I've talked to can confirm whether or not it loads more than 2.5. I've heard good reports on polyphony counts, but thats pretty much it - and I'm not really all for the gigapulse feature, but that's just me.

We all know G2.5 can load 1 gig, but is there a definite or approximate amount GS3 holds (to hell with tweaking, too risky)? This is important, because with every project I compose, Gigastudio is maxed out at 99%. If I can load more samples in GS3 (say, 2 gigs), than the need for multiple/numerous computer setups would be less - which is good for me cause I can't afford to buy 8 pc's. Is the technology not there yet? I'm hearing from people that other samplers are able to load more than GS. WHY?!

*steps down from soapbox*

The problem is that most of us removed GS2.5 when we installed GS3; hence, we "think" it loads more. It certainly loads faster!

-JF

If version 3 and 2.5 would be able to run on the same sytem I could get a clear comparison, but that's not an option.

Go Back to forum