• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Announcing a HARP Tutorial by Terry Dwyer

Share/Bookmark

Thumbs up Announcing a HARP Tutorial by Terry Dwyer

Terry Dwyer has written a Harp Tutorial. Here is the link to the tutorial:

http://www.garritan.com/tutorial/GPO_HarpTutorial.html

As a harpist, I have a keen interest in this tutorial. Terry provides an overview of the harp, how to compose for the harp, and using the harps in GPO. There's information about how the harp pedals work, about special effects for the harp and glissandi.

Terry's harp tutorial will be of benefit to those who want to learn more about the 'instrument of angels'.

Thank you Terry for taking the time to write this invaluable and excellent guide to the harp.

Gary Garritan

Thumbs up Re: Announcing a HARP Tutorial by Terry Dwyer

Oh now this is REAL cool! Something they never taught in college for some reason the harp is rarely touched on in education. This is great thanks for posting Gary! Give me something to look forward to later at home.

Now where did I put my little magic harp I got during my trip up the beanstalk...?

Oooooo they are playing Francesco's music during class change now! Sounds great!
    Styxx

Re: Announcing a HARP Tutorial by Terry Dwyer

Thank you for yet another very helpfull tutorial.

Terry did an absolutely awesome job on this Harp tutorial.
    The thing that amazed me, was the midi harp that Gary made. A harp that has a midi connector on it and is used as a controller.
    That is amazing, the pickups for the strings were no doubt very similar if not the same thing as the ones used in real acoustic pianos, I'm guessing anyway.

Gary, I did not know that the midi harp was an actual physical harp.

WOW!

Is there no limit to the role of honour of generous GPO users. Thank you very much indeed Terry for your kind help. I look forward to downloading and using it.

Respect.....

Frank

That is a terrific tutorial on the harp. It does encourage me to ask a question: is the GPO chromatic harp an artifact that has no counterpart among acoustical instruments?

If so, how about just using the chromatic harp as if it were a real instrument and not worrying whether the part could actually be played by a real harpist? Would this seem a sacrilege? (Of course, assuming one did not expect the piece to be played by a real orchestra, which is a real likelihood for some of us!)

Ed

Thumbs up Re: Announcing a HARP Tutorial by Terry Dwyer

Not to HARP on the subject but, I just had the opportunity to read through the tutorial and would like to express my deepest gratitude to Terry Dwyer for graciously offering ... well, you know what I'm trying to say. THANKS TERRY!
    Styxx

Wasn't Terry behind that excellent harpsichord tutorial as well?

Anyway, from the deepest darkest pits of my black dying heart I thank you Terry.

Cool EXCELLENT!!

What a simply TERRIFIC tutorial! He does, in fact, point out the "danger" of using some of the "packet" tricks vis-a-vis scoring for a real harp as well as some of the potential pitfalls of using the chromatic harp. (I always figured that I could "buy" my way out of using too many chromatic things by eventually scoring it for TWO real harps -- a common thing in Mahler.)

KevinKauai

Re: EXCELLENT!!

Hi,

Great work!
    I take advantage of this emphasize Finale's Human Playback capabilities regarding harp techniques:

http://www.garritan.com/mp3/HP_HarpGlissandi.mus

It features techniques such as harmonics and complex glissandi, a good example of what HP is able to do as for idiomatic intrumental notation. This is a Finale 2004/2005 file, and non-Finale users can download a demo version of Finale to open it (http://www.finalemusic.com/finale/demo.asp ).

Best regards,
    Robert

Go Back to forum