GP2LE crackles with pedal

heya-

Inconsistently GP2 LE on GS3 is making crackling sounds on my system:

P4 2.6GHz
    1G RAM
    4.3G EIDE and 40G S-ATA drives
    Echo Mia (not MIAMIDI)
    Midiman Midisport 2x2

Seems only occasionally to pop in with the crackles, usually when the pedal is down. I can't recall but I suspect it's only the convoluting version of the lib that's crackling.

Everything works with buffers at 64, crackling does not improve when buffers set up as high as 512 but at 1024 the latency is so bad there's no point in trying. Running now at 256 which is acceptable latency and occasional crackles. I am running 64 voices of poly.

Known issue? Are others experiencing this problem?

Is this a problem only with GP2 or am I going to run into it with other libraries as well?

What's the solution? Other than Tascam's suggestion of upping the number of buffers to an unreasonable level, that is.

... and yes FWIW I did do a search and look at other posts on this topic, didn't find any solution other than "increase the buffers"... if that's the only one then maybe GP is not worth it.

Re: GP2LE crackles with pedal

You gotta love the stupid assed explaination they give in the release notes as to why it crackles. A mroe robust setting could be fixed with a more robust sampling program.

Quote Originally Posted by krash
    heya-

Inconsistently GP2 LE on GS3 is making crackling sounds on my system:

Seems only occasionally to pop in with the crackles, usually when the pedal is down. I can't recall but I suspect it's only the convoluting version of the lib that's crackling.
    Gigapulse is a CPU hog, no doubt about it -- but it is doing some serious number crunching in real time. Curious, what does your CPU meter and polyphony count meter read when the crackles occur?

David

There are some "New Issues Found Since Release" listed on the Tascam Gigastudio support site, one of which is:

"GigaPiano-II .gsi files should only be loaded Port 1, Channel 1"

Any chance this applies to your situation?

David

Quote Originally Posted by Existence
    Gigapulse is a CPU hog, no doubt about it -- but it is doing some serious number crunching in real time. Curious, what does your CPU meter and polyphony count meter read when the crackles occur?

David

CPU meter is always very low... under 30% even on "peaks", but it appears to intermittently "spike" but it's difficult to tell what it's spiking to.

Dunno about poly meter... But it's never been very high. I've actually been surprised how easy on the processor GS3 has been.

Quote Originally Posted by Existence
    There are some "New Issues Found Since Release" listed on the Tascam Gigastudio support site, one of which is:

"GigaPiano-II .gsi files should only be loaded Port 1, Channel 1"

Any chance this applies to your situation?

David
    Yeah I saw that, but I was loading them on port 1, channel 1.

I had to disable convolution for pedal down to get rid of the crackling. Since pedal down throws in so much instrument generated ambience, I don't seem to notice that much anyway. However, it is dissapointing that it does not work right.

Poco

Quote Originally Posted by PocoRecords
    I had to disable convolution for pedal down to get rid of the crackling. Since pedal down throws in so much instrument generated ambience, I don't seem to notice that much anyway. However, it is dissapointing that it does not work right.

Poco

No big loss since pedal down sounds like you're stomping the pedal no matter what, imho it's obtrusive.

That sounds like a good plan.

Go Back to forum