• Register
  • Help
Results 1 to 8 of 8

Topic: Ready to upgrade 2 GS 3.0 licenses??

Share/Bookmark
  1. #1

    Ready to upgrade 2 GS 3.0 licenses??

    Hi there,

    I have been really busy but it appears I may have a 'few days' only to upgrade to GS 3.0 (on two machines). As soon as I send the final mix to the client I want to upgrade and get the learning curve and registration bugs out of the way ASAP.

    Both Machines are running ECHO Gina cards - P4 3.0 / 2 gig ram each.

    Can anyone recommend the 'safest way' to implement the upgrade. I have a project starting at the beginning of next week. Should I wait until this next project is done (2-3 weeks) to upgrade or take the plunge now. I am not going to do anything special at this time with FX Teleport (although I eventually will).

    Should just call Tascam to make the change?

    Many thanks in advance.

    Rob
    Rob Elliott Music
    www.robelliottmusic.com

  2. #2

    Re: Ready to upgrade 2 GS 3.0 licenses??

    The safest? Get a new hard drive. Do a fresh Win XP SP1 install. (Don't bother with the authentication, until you get everything working.) Update your BIOS and all drivers. Install GS3. You've then got ten days to register. !Don't! press the restore registration button, or you risk losing your grace period. Register on a Monday morning - not a Friday night.

    If the upgrade fails, go back to your old system disk and make music until you have time to troubleshoot. If it works fine, then enjoy the fast load times of GS3 and the sounds of GigaPulse.

    After you get one system upgraded successfully, you can use the spare hard drive to update the second one - or just go for it! The spare hard drive will not go to waste.

    All the best...

    -JF

  3. #3

    Re: Ready to upgrade 2 GS 3.0 licenses??

    Hi Jon,

    Thanks for the help. Just got a call from the Client (of next week) and the schedule is moving up a few days. I think it will be best to wait until after the 3 week project to upgrade.

    Do you know if GS 3.0 is planning a 'bug patch' between now and then. I really want GP - BUT 2.5 is running so smoothly for me now with NO bugs or crashes. If I get mutliple problems in the upgrade my head is could spontanteously combust with frustration

    I will upgrade - just looking for the best time to do it. What would it be like to have a tech or two that can keep us up and running while we concentrate on the music?

    Thanks again.

    Rob
    Rob Elliott Music
    www.robelliottmusic.com

  4. #4

    Re: Ready to upgrade 2 GS 3.0 licenses??

    I had the same resevations as yourself. I was feeling lucky and took the plunge. Luckily I had no problem at all. I am running GS3 on a dedicated machine (stock Dell machine with no tweaks and a firewire drive for samples)
    and I think a lot of the problems are from people that are running GS on the same machine as their sequencers.

  5. #5

    Re: Ready to upgrade 2 GS 3.0 licenses??

    Hi Rob,

    There's no word on when an update might be released. After all the grief about the GS3 release date, I don't think we'll hear a peep until the update is on the server and ready for download.

    -JF

  6. #6

    Re: Ready to upgrade 2 GS 3.0 licenses??

    Thanks guys for the feedback. As they are dedicated machines, I think I will still wait (just call me paranoid). Can't wait though.

    Rob
    Rob Elliott Music
    www.robelliottmusic.com

  7. #7

    Re: Ready to upgrade 2 GS 3.0 licenses??

    > "I think I will still wait (just call me paranoid)"

    That's the nice thing about using a fresh system drive. There's no risk that you can't go back, so being paranoid doesn't really apply.

    Now, busy - that's another story. It takes time to format a drive, load Windows update the drivers, blah, blah, blah...

    And even if all goes well, you'll be wanting to spend time fiddling with GigaPulse, tickling the GigaPiano II ivories and thumbing through VGS and the other included samples.

    Even having your own tech wouldn't speed up that part of the GS3 experience.

    -JF

  8. #8

    Re: Ready to upgrade 2 GS 3.0 licenses??

    Ok - point well taken. I can just see myself 'tinkering' for ever on this and lying to the client about 'my dog eating my homework...

    Thanks again. I have waited this long. I can wait another 3 weeks.

    Rob
    Rob Elliott Music
    www.robelliottmusic.com

Go Back to forum

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •