• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Tap Tempo-capable DAW

Share/Bookmark

Tap Tempo-capable DAW

Gentle People:

I need to find a sequencer program / DAW that will allow me to create a GPO orchestration, then follow my lead as I tap the intended tempo on a MIDI keyboard.

Currently, I don't believe Sonar 3 has that capability. Please enlighten me with your experiential knowledge.

Re: Tap Tempo-capable DAW

Quote Originally Posted by David_Maddux
    Gentle People:

I need to find a sequencer program / DAW that will allow me to create a GPO orchestration, then follow my lead as I tap the intended tempo on a MIDI keyboard.

Currently, I don't believe Sonar 3 has that capability. Please enlighten me with your experiential knowledge.
    Actually, I'm pretty sure Sonar 3 has exactly that feature. I haven't tried it, but I recall reading about it in the manual. Can't remember what it's called, though, but I'm 99.9% sure it's there.

Just remembered... It's called "Fit to Improvisation".
    www.EricHermanMusic.com
    - Cool Tunes for Kids -

Gentle People:

From my Digital Performer owners manual....

Tap Tempo is Digital Performer's real-time-tempo control facility. This form of syncronization slaves Digital Performer to a "tap" entered from your MIDI controller. Digital Performer receives a MIDI event for each tap and computes a tempo based on the current meter, the click value, and each event's distance in time from the previous event. Any tempo information in the sequence is ignored while Digital Performer is slaved to Tap Tempo. Tap Tempo supports both recording and playback, so your tap can conduct or be recorded into any sequence, empty or finished. When you record in Tap Tempo, each tap becomes a tempo event in the Conductor Track. Even if you have a minimum MIDI setup, you have everything you need to use Tap Tempo syncronization.

I have looked at some of the other sequencers that are currently on the market and are popular, and it is amazing to me every time, when I find that Digital Performer does and has EVERYTHING!

DPDan

Digital Performer would be wonderful, but I'm on a Windows laptop. Unless I'm mistaken, I assume DP is a Mac-only product.

Re: Sonar 3... What I'm attempting to do is create sequences that I can tempo-steer on the fly during live performance. That is: in a musical theatre setting, be able to mash a single key with one hand (with the running sequence following my tapped tempo), conduct with the other, and make magic happen.

It's a short leap from there to a career as a professional juggler, I'd wager.

I just Googled this topic, came up with a few links:

This looks like fun, although a bit unnatural (watch the video):

http://www.digitalconductor.com/main.php

I don't know if this really fits the bill, but it looks like you can download and try it out:

http://www.prorec.com/prorec/downloa...2566940019794C

Here is a link for the company that makes Sinfonia, the virtual orchestra system which has been embroiled in considerable controversy with the AFM in NYC, LA and other cities (I'm an AFM member myself and have mixed feelings about replacing live musicians, but I can understand the economics of it). Their system apparently uses something like you describe...the conductor or a keyboardist tap keys on a MIDI controller to 'conduct' the performance.

http://www.rms.biz/index.htm

Brian

I thought Sonar had something like "Fit to Improvasation" or something like that. But as I think about it, that is backwards from what you want. What you're asking for is dynamic real time experience so that as its playing you tap the tempo you want and have the program speed up or slow down according to your tapping....(and program in the tempo changes).

This is a good challenge for you MFX wizards out there.... An MFX plugin that listened on a midi channel for tapping(or computer keyboard I suppose) and then computed an averge tempo as you tap along. The downside I can think of is that the song tempo changes would always be changing a little behind your tap changes. Might be able to think of some little trick using optional eighth note taps or something when you want to get a faster slow down or speed up to occurr and track the tapping more closely.

Would be interesting for sure.

If all you need is to compute a tempo from a tap, then try this:

http://www.analogx.com/contents/down...o/taptempo.htm

Maybe by computing a few tap tempos....and then using the graphical editor you can get pretty good at putting in tempo changes.
    "Music is a manifestation of the human spirit similar to a language. If we do not want such things to remain dead treasures, we must do our utmost to make the greatest number of people understand their secrets" -- Zoltan Kodaly

I was just thinking about this some more... An MFX plugin would not completely work..it can't slow down the playback. What I think you'd have to do is use an inline program(that probably does not exist) that interprets tapped tempo on a midi keyboard into Midi Clock to slow down or speed up the tempo... What I'm not sure about yet is how to get the tempo change events recorded, but surely there must be a way. That might be where the MFX plugin would come into handy to convert the quarter notes into tempo change events.

But the thing is... in order to have the actual playback speed up or slow down as you do it..I'm pretty sure that you would have to have Sonar setup to slave to external sync..or something of this nature. Not entirely sure actually...

Interesting topic though..I hope we get more ideas as this is definitely useful for GPO type music..
    "Music is a manifestation of the human spirit similar to a language. If we do not want such things to remain dead treasures, we must do our utmost to make the greatest number of people understand their secrets" -- Zoltan Kodaly

This looks interesting. This would control playback...not sure if the changes would be recorded in a track though... have to check on that..

http://www.macmusic.org/news/view.ph...tQjpAznOhMaS=1

http://www.ploytec.com/34one/

http://news.harmony-central.com/Newp/2004/34one.html

I like this little pedal, though I must say that I would be more effective using a midi key to tap in the tempo with my finger than with my foot. But hey..the general idea is correct..need a device or software that can listen to tapping and generate midi clock, then have the DAW slave to external sync and (hopefully) record the tempo changes.

My understanding is that some midi keyboards actually have a tap tempo feature built in to them. For example, Triton's, apparantly have this feature(which I didn't even know and I have a Triton). I bet some drum machines have this too.

I also found a program for OSX that does this, but that doesn't help the original poster:

http://www.grantedsw.com/midiclock/

Still looking for other software that might do it. If I find something I'll report back here.

Digital Performer would be wonderful, but I'm on a Windows laptop. Unless I'm mistaken, I assume DP is a Mac-only product.
    Hi David, you're right, I wasn't aware that you were using a PC.
    DP is only Mac. You could get yourself a nifty Mac laptop
    you would be stylin'

A tap-tempo maple plugin would be brilliant for this too possibly.

Go Back to forum