• Register
  • Help

Topic: Has anyone already programmed SI Brass for the VSL Alt Tool??

Share/Bookmark

Has anyone already programmed SI Brass for the VSL Alt Tool??

Has anyone out there already re-programmed Sonic Implants Brass to use with the Vienna alteration tool for either giga or EXS?? If so, and you wouldn't mind sharing your programs (not samples) with me that would be outstanding.

Thanks,

Colin

Re: Has anyone already programmed SI Brass for the VSL Alt Tool??

Unfortunately, they SI Brass doesn't have a KS instrument that uses all of the short notes - only one per program, (take 1, 2 or take 3,4 etc.). I was hoping someone had already gone to the trouble in giga or EXS to combine these ala the vienna "short note all' programs. If not, I will post them here once I do it.

Colin

Colin,

Not to "hijack" your thread, but I would like to confirm my understanding of your first post.

Can the VSL Performance Tool be used with other sample libraries? I thought it only worked with VSL libraries. I donl't know much about the Peformance Tool except that there is an "engine" and parameter files that one loads into it.

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

The VSL tool could be used with any library, if the articulations for a particular mapping have been recorded.

Of course, it would only be ethical to do so if you were a VSL licensee, since use of the tool is restricted to those under license.

However, this is one of the loveliest things about GigaStudio 3.0. You could design them in the 3.0 filespec, and program the alternations with no additional tools whatsoever. This would actually be a far easier approach than using the VSL tool, since you can avoid the need to stretch things out onto "unnatural" key mappings. You can just layer dimensions--a much more sequencing friendly approach.

Howdy Colin,

By alternation tool, do you mean to automatically switch between two sets of samples each time you play a note to avoid the "machine gun" effect? If so, I have started doing that within EXS24, no performance tool is required since this function has been built into EXS24 for a couple of years already!
    >>Kays
    http://www.musicbykays.com
    Music Composition for Feature Films, Television and Interactive Entertainment

just to chime in ...
    bruce, there is no need for any sample offset using the alternation tool.
    midphase, jou can switch between more than 2 layers (up to 16 with giga2 files, up to 32 with EXS and up to 128 with the giga3 fileformat) - the alternation tool simply processes the keyswitching for you and you can prepare patterns of 12 different articulations or up to 144 using function keys or the chain mode - happy editing.
    christian

I'm definitely looking to use more complex alternating patterns between all the SI Brass short notes (there are usually from 4-6 variations including sfz). Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the VSL alt tool is the only way to do this at this point. I haven't tried doing this with EXS alone.

Colin

EXS24 will allow you to sequentially alternate between 32 variations for each note. Unfortunately EXS24 is also kinda of a pain to program for that kind of stuff. As far as I know, it will not randomly alternate, but rather run through the sequence of alternations and then return to the original one. But to eliminate the machine-gun effect this is plent.
    >>Kays
    http://www.musicbykays.com
    Music Composition for Feature Films, Television and Interactive Entertainment

Thanks Kays. I'll will definitely dive into EXS a bit more.

Colin

Go Back to forum