• Register
  • Help

Topic: Tchaikovsky' Swan Lake - submitted by Marco Maria Gualdi

Share/Bookmark

Tchaikovsky' Swan Lake - submitted by Marco Maria Gualdi

Marco Maria Gualdi from Italy has just done his first work with GPO. Here is his rendition of Tchaikovsky's Swan Lake:

http://www.garritan.com/mp3/mmg-SwanLake.mp3

Swan Lake is perhaps one of the most well-known and revered classical ballets. Tchaikovsky was commissioned by Vladimir Petrovich Begichev to write the score for this ballet for the Russian Imperial Theatres in Moscow. It was the first ballet he wrote and he received the grand sum of 800 roubles for his efforts! In 1875 he wrote to Rimsky-Korsakov, "I took this work partly for money, which I need, and partly because I have long wanted to try my hand at this kind of music." Things haven't changed much for some musicians.

Thanks Marco for sending this. Comments and suggestions are welcome.

Gary Garritan

Re: Tchaikovsky' Swan Lake - submitted by Marco Maria Gualdi

I must say that for the most part this is extremely well presented. The fast strings sound great as well as the brass. The only suggestion I'd have occurs at around 1:20 where it sounds as if there are sustained string and wind lines, they just don't sound right. I'm not sure if it is a lack of legato or that this section is too thick? Sorry I can't pin it down, but this is the only part out of the whole that just stands out, the rest could be taken as a live performance by the casual listener. A very triumphant effort all around. Don't take my criticism as negative, the piece is wonderfully realized.

It sounds very good. The dynamics sound realistic. Well done!

It's interesting to see how famous composers used to interact with one other, not knowing that they themselves and their words to another would become history.
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

And on the second theme, the ending phrases where the oboe goes C# B F# it sounds like thre's an odd chord in the tremelo strings. (I don't have a timer marking.) Sorry to be nit-picky; I think this is excellent work. I only hope I do as well when I start playing with this stuff!! (That's next week, finally- woohoo!!)

Thumbs up Re: Tchaikovsky' Swan Lake - submitted by Marco Maria Gualdi

Great opening! - Tempo is a bit stiff, though, and the string entrance at 1:20 establishes a harshness of sound that's heard all the way to the punctuated brass at 2:35 (which I think has too much trumpet and not enough of the low brass - but then again I'm a former trombonist - what do I know... ). The wind down to the last chord was EXTREMELY well done - save for the last chord, which seems to be a bit eager to hit and run. You might start the strings a bit earlier and then "push" them into that last note, as opposed to hitting it with a sharp attack. Overall this was a very, very nice rendering - makes me want to dive into my collection to find my recording of it. Cheers!
    Houston Haynes - Titan Line Music

Great effort.

Frank

Thumbs up Re: Tchaikovsky' Swan Lake - submitted by Marco Maria Gualdi

Wow! How did I miss this fantastic work of Swan Lake? I was just listening to this last night while reading. This must have taken quite a bit of time to put together. Nice, very nice interpretation indeed!
    Styxx

Marco just sent the MIDI file for his rendition of Swan Lake:

http://www.garritan.com/mp3/mg-TheSwanLake.mid

Marco also layered in some GPO solo strings in his MP3 rendition. Marco writes:
    Thanks to GPO I've been able to perform the music as was intended to be; two oboes solo, two flutes, two clarinets, two bassoons, four F. horns with f and ff overlays, two trumpets, two trombones, bass, trombone, tuba, timpani, harp 1, Violins 1 & 2 tremolo, sus lush, short bows, violas tremolo, sus lush, short bows, Cellos tremolo, sus lush, pizzicato, C.basses sus lush, pizzicato.

Many libraries have too many instruments playing together that doesn't alloud you to play a music as it should be (no choose of instruments dimension) GPO not.
    Thank you Marco for sharing your music and your work product with us.

Gary Garritan

Thank you all for your comments.

And thanks to gary for his support.

I hope to share my other musics with you soon.

Marco M. Gualdi

Go Back to forum