• Register
  • Help

Topic: Behind the scenes on my current project (photos...56K probably not)

Share/Bookmark

Behind the scenes on my current project (photos...56K probably not)

sponsored links

***Advertisments***
    Hey all...I have been busy the past week working on my latest project. I am producing an independant film with a friend of mine (Tim Garrick) who is directing. This is my first venture into producing, and his into directing. He is already an established writer and I of course, a composer. The independant, festival bound comedy short is called RUN LENi RUN and is a comedy spoof on the German film RUN LOLA RUN. Tim wrote the script and I will compose the music as well. We have been completely amazed at the wonderfully talented crew and their amazing positive attitudes (sometimes a rarity in Hollywood). It has overall been a very pleasant experience.

Here are some behind the scenes shots I thought maybe you all might enjoy. I know that I have enjoyed this process...working on the project from its beginning and now on the set is very different from just being brought in at the end as a composer in post. We are about 1/2 done shooting and finally have a day off in the schedule today which I need to recover. I am beat.. Anyway

Here are some select photos from the sets:

Director/Writer Tim Garrick (in white shirt) watching the monitor at the phone booth set.

Veteran sound mixer Peter Meiselmann and his gear

A phone booth close-up (yes...that is one of the actual phone booths from Superman). Director of Photography Kirk Douglas is behind the camera.

The Phone booth set

Actress Dina Meyer as Venus. Steady Cam operator Simon Jayes (Collateral, Seabiscuit, Charlies Angels: Full Throttle, Minority Report)
    Regards,
    Brian W. Ralston

Check out my new FREE iPhone App! Click Here!

Re: Behind the scenes on my current project (photos...56K probably not) part 2

Dina Waits - she's such a trooper (no pun intended)

Dina Meyer and Actor Matthew McCallum (LENi) in fight rehearsal with Stunt coordinator Scott Workman (from T3, Charlie's Angels...)

Editor Charles Kaplan stopped by the set to check out filming on the wireless monitor with Stunt coordinator Scott Workman

Me and Dina Meyer. She's so cool.
    Regards,
    Brian W. Ralston

Re: Behind the scenes on my current project (photos...56K probably not)

She's so cool.
    ...And has a mean right-hook by the looks of it!

Thanks for posting this. Very cool!

"So what if some parts of life are a crap shoot? Get out there and shoot the crap." -- Neil Peart
    Hint:1.6180339887498948482 Φ

Come-on Brian we're AUDIO folks here! The audio guy: Sanken CS-1 (or 3) shot gun right? DAT?, DEVA?, Nagra?

Nice gig (lucky stiff - outside in the fresh air away from clients and producers and directors).

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Brian W. Ralston
    The independant, festival bound comedy short
    This might be a dumb question, but...which festival? Sundance? Other?

Quote Originally Posted by MDesigner
    This might be a dumb question, but...which festival? Sundance? Other?
    We will most likely submit the film to festivals that will be appropriate to the film's comedy style. I know Tim has a special place in his heart for Germany (he has family there) and with the original RUN LOLA RUN being a German film, the Berlin Film Festival is probably top on his list to get into. There is the Toronto Comedy festival, of course Sundance and Slamdance, HBO Aspen comedy festival, LA Film fest, etc...

We'll have to see.

I am sure we will have some screening here in L.A. either at one of the studios (with Tim's connections) or at one of L.A.'s theatres. Anyone who is here or can be there at that time, I will make sure you can come to a screening. But that will probably be after the first of the year if I had to make a guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Think_About_It
    Come-on Brian we're AUDIO folks here! The audio guy: Sanken CS-1 (or 3) shot gun right? DAT?, DEVA?, Nagra?
    You know...I am not sure what the boom is. But yes...everything is recorded on DAT in the field. There will be some ADR needed in the film and lots of sound design of course. I will be working with the sound designer closely so the music and sound design will live happily together. Being not just the composer, but one of the producers...I will make sure that happens for sure. Tim is pretty much giving me free reign on creating the film's music and supervising the sound.
    Regards,
    Brian W. Ralston

Brian, I was referring to the actual microphone(s) being used not the boom that holds it.

The adr is always the craziest part. Sometimes it's just best to have the talent return to the studio to "loop" in when the digital tricks, like Voc-Align, amoung others, seem to just take up more time than results produced.

Logic's cycle record works great for this, if you get a Quicktime made of the scenes & open inside the session you're golden. (Cinepak compression easiest, Logic behaves better with & for some odd reason still around)

Go Back to forum