• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: Trent Reznor... film composer???

Share/Bookmark

Trent Reznor... film composer???

I just got through watching Denzel Washington in "Man On Fire" - and funny thing was - almost the entire movie's soundtrack was remixes of Nine Inch Nails tunes (including The Downward Spiral - the song - not the album, Mr. Deconstruct and some others...)

This is the third film I've seen this month that has used the remix versions of Nine Inch Nails songs for its score, the other two being Seven (remixes of Closer To God) and The Fan w/ Wesly Snipes (a ton of NIN stuff).

And I'm not talking just like - an NIN song on the soundtrack - I mean 90% of the music being his. NIN is a one man studio band consisting of the genious Trent Reznor. He creates "industrial" music through synths, samples and mangling acoustic elements. Just wondering why he hasn't officially taken on a film score and if he ever will. The three films above were scored great using his premade music - but if he would have scored to the picture - I think it would have turned out even better. BTW, when NIN releases an album, Trent also releases one or two fully remixed and re'realized vrsion of that album - and these "remix" albums are where most of the material is coming from.

Also, Trent Reznor was classically trained at a very young age but found his home in industrial rock. You can hear his classical influences on many of his works - and knowing the guy writes and plays everything on the albums himself gives me even more respect for him - some of his piano and cello works are amazing...

Other films Reznor has contributed material for: Lost Highway, The Crow and Natural Born Killers... c'mon Trent - let's hear a full original score from ya...

Guess as Potter keeps getting darker with each new installment - Reznor should be gold for Harry Potter VI...
    Alan Lastufka | www.BelaDMedia.com
    Producer/Artistic Design | Content Producer

20 Things

Re: Trent Reznor... film composer???

lol. that 'd be fun to listen to.
    I think it's a bit easy to use prewritten music for a soundtrack. Since he's classically trained and a good songwriter he should be able to come up with an orginal score...

Trent Reznor is a genius. Simply put. I would like to see him branch into film. I thought his music fit Seven very well, as well as his work on the Lost Highway and Crow films. I'll just be happy to get his next album.

Quote Originally Posted by Herman Witkam
    lol. that 'd be fun to listen to.
    I think it's a bit easy to use prewritten music for a soundtrack. Since he's classically trained and a good songwriter he should be able to come up with an orginal score...
    Right. But the filmmakers aren't asking him to - they are taking instrumental works of his and sprinkling them throughout the films... This is why I hope they will approach him to write a bad*ss score sometime, instead of just ripping instrumental tracks from his albums.
    Alan Lastufka | www.BelaDMedia.com
    Producer/Artistic Design | Content Producer

20 Things

indeed...cause this is more like library music

lets not forget that a fella by the name of Howard Shore did some very interesting stuff in se7en (a great soundtrack if you're in the mood to give yourself the willies) and harry gregson williams, no slouch himself , contributed about 29 cues for 'man on fire'

Not to take a thing away from ole trent tho. I agree, i would like to see him go down that road. Monsieur Manson has started doing it to good effect I think.

cb

FYI: NIN is a 'two man band' - Trent relies alot on his right handman Danny Lohner. Not to discredit Trent at all - he is the mastermind, of course, but he has a team.

He did score the soundtrack to the original 'Quake' - and was also slated to score Doom 3 - but left for undisclosed reasons.

He took a stab at film scoring, for 'One Hour Photo' - but his score was rejected and he was replaced. Film scoring is not for everyone - regardless of how talented they may be.

His studio is very nice - btw :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Burrell
    Trent Reznor is a genius.
    I wouldn't go that far! What's next, Kurt Cobain was a Maestro?

Why not? It's better than Howard Snore or Drab Williams.

Quote Originally Posted by SWL
    FYI: NIN is a 'two man band' - Trent relies alot on his right handman Danny Lohner. Not to discredit Trent at all - he is the mastermind, of course, but he has a team.

He did score the soundtrack to the original 'Quake' - and was also slated to score Doom 3 - but left for undisclosed reasons.

He took a stab at film scoring, for 'One Hour Photo' - but his score was rejected and he was replaced. Film scoring is not for everyone - regardless of how talented they may be.

His studio is very nice - btw :-)
    i thought Lohner pretty much was just guitar...I think Clouser has more of an impact on the production than Lohner.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast