• Register
  • Help

Topic: Proper Sonar and GPO Volume & Pan Settings

Share/Bookmark

Question Proper Sonar and GPO Volume & Pan Settings

Greetings,

I have read numerous treads about proper settings in Sonar for Volume and Pan (and not using the GPO settings) and using GPO settins for Volume and Pan and not using Sonar to control Volume and Pan. Could someone put me in the ball park if I suggest the following questinos and template:

1) Should pan and volume be controlled by Sonar? Yes/No

2) Should Volume be controlled by GPO and Sonar for music entry only? Yes/No

Ball Park Volume and Pan Settings:

1st Violins Volume = Pan =
    2nd Violins Volume = Pan =
    Violas Volume - Pan=
    Cellos Volume = Pan =
    Basses Volume = Pan =
    1st & 2nd Flute Volumes = , Pan = ,
    1st & 2nd Oboe Volumes = , Pan = ,
    English Horn Volume = Pan =
    Bb Clarinet Solo Volume = Pan =
    Bb Clarinet Ens Volume = Pan =
    Bass Clarinet Solo Volume = Pan =
    Bassoon Solo 1 Volume = Pan =
    French Solo Volume = Pan =
    French Horn section (French Solo 2, French Horn Ens1, French horn f overlay, French Horn ff oeverlay) all treated as one section on one midi channel - Vol = Pan =
    Tuba Section (Tuba 1 Solo and overlay on same midi channedl) Volume = Pan =
    Trumpet 1 Solo Volume = Pan =
    Trumpet Section (Trmpet 2 Solo, Trumpet 1 Ens, Trumpet overlay all on same midi channel) Volume = Pan =
    Trombone Section (Tenor Trombone Solo, Tenor Trombone Ens1, Trombone overlay all on one midi channel) Volume = Pan =
    Timpani Volume = Pan =
    Basic Orchestral Percussion Volume = Pan =
    Percussion Toys Volume = Pan =
    Glockenspiel Volume = Pan =
    Tubular Bells Volume = Pan =
    Piano Volume = Pan =
    Chromatic Harp 1 Volume = Pan =
    Glissando Harp 1 Volume = Pan =

I realize that there are no exact settings depending upon the type of music. I would like to know your opinions on whether to use Sonar or GPO to control these settings and ball park setting for the instruments I mentioned above.

I greatly appreciate any help you can give me!

Thanks again!

Pan
    Gary Young

Re: Proper Sonar and GPO Volume & Pan Settings

I've used a number of different settings, and several were successful. However, I've settled into this routine, and I highly recommend it.

I set Sonar to control volume, but almost always leave panning alone, unless I have something unusual in mind. There have been a number of times when I have needed to use a volume envelope on a track, especially for a string section morendo, for example.

I start by setting all wind volumes to 30, strings to 40, and piano/harp/percussion quite a bit higher. Then I re-balance as I go along.

30 may seem low, but I find that I get the best out of the winds dynamic range and the mod wheel with this setting. It also helps avoid the dreaded legato right-channel clicking problem that some of us experience with Sonar. For some reason, the clicks disappear when midi track volume is this low.

There are certain instruments that seem to want to be at much lower volumes, and I can't remember them all at the moment. I believe that the bass clarinet is one I've found that I've put midi volume as low as 15 on for one track. In that particular case, it was an unusual orchestration, so that isn't really typical.

Strings are sometimes unbalanced to my ears, depending on the musical style. For chorale type writing, I find that I tend to mix the lower strings a little higher. Maybe something like:
    Vln I, II = 40
    Vla = 45
    Vlc = 50
    CB = 55

Good luck!
    - Jamie Kowalski

All Hands Music - Kowalski on the web
    The Ear Is Always Correct - Writings on composition

Smile Re: Proper Sonar and GPO Volume & Pan Settings

Quote Originally Posted by Skysaw
    I've used a number of different settings, and several were successful. However, I've settled into this routine, and I highly recommend it.

I set Sonar to control volume, but almost always leave panning alone, unless I have something unusual in mind. There have been a number of times when I have needed to use a volume envelope on a track, especially for a string section morendo, for example.

I start by setting all wind volumes to 30, strings to 40, and piano/harp/percussion quite a bit higher. Then I re-balance as I go along.

30 may seem low, but I find that I get the best out of the winds dynamic range and the mod wheel with this setting. It also helps avoid the dreaded legato right-channel clicking problem that some of us experience with Sonar. For some reason, the clicks disappear when midi track volume is this low.

There are certain instruments that seem to want to be at much lower volumes, and I can't remember them all at the moment. I believe that the bass clarinet is one I've found that I've put midi volume as low as 15 on for one track. In that particular case, it was an unusual orchestration, so that isn't really typical.

Strings are sometimes unbalanced to my ears, depending on the musical style. For chorale type writing, I find that I tend to mix the lower strings a little higher. Maybe something like:
    Vln I, II = 40
    Vla = 45
    Vlc = 50
    CB = 55

Good luck!
    Thanks Skysaw for the great advice! One other thing I would ask you or anyone else that has an opinion; There was a thread I saw where several people thought the default GPO panning settings were too wide and they tweaked them. What is the opinion out there on that and how much do you change the default panning (if you do at all).

Thanks again.
    Gary Young

Re: Proper Sonar and GPO Volume & Pan Settings

Before GPO I used the template that comes with Sonar called "Classical Full Orchestra" for panning settings. These are different from the GPO default settings, but works just as well.

Since I have GPO, I rarely change the panning. With certain stuff only for special effects I would play around with it. I plan to upgrade to Sonar 4 with suround sound. I will decide how I will do panning only when I do upgrade.

For volume settings I set my volume initially at the default of Sonar (101). I make use of the CC1 in GPO to change the volume. Often I find that the winds in GPO are not correctly balanced and set them to about 85 in Sonar. The Viola also seems a bit load and I often turn that down to 80 to 90.

Smile Re: Proper Sonar and GPO Volume & Pan Settings

Quote Originally Posted by Sepheritoh
    Before GPO I used the template that comes with Sonar called "Classical Full Orchestra" for panning settings. These are different from the GPO default settings, but works just as well.

Since I have GPO, I rarely change the panning. With certain stuff only for special effects I would play around with it. I plan to upgrade to Sonar 4 with suround sound. I will decide how I will do panning only when I do upgrade.

For volume settings I set my volume initially at the default of Sonar (101). I make use of the CC1 in GPO to change the volume. Often I find that the winds in GPO are not correctly balanced and set them to about 85 in Sonar. The Viola also seems a bit load and I often turn that down to 80 to 90.

Cool! Thanks. I will check it out.
    Gary Young

Go Back to forum