• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Unsuccessful percussion mapping in Finale 2004...

Share/Bookmark

Angry Unsuccessful percussion mapping in Finale 2004...

I'm WAS sitting here trying to work on a percussion ensemble but unfortunately I've ended up wrestling (once again) with Finale's retarded MIDI implementation. When I try to map notes to the corresponding ones in GPO I simply get the wrong notes played. I've checked the MIDI channel, note number, and slot number. I've also used the "listen" feature to make sure that the notes are the right ones. For instance, have a cymbal line that should be sending a C5 piatti cymbal 1 hit to Player 1 - channel 2 in GPO. I take a look at GPO....drumroll...bam! It's showing that G2 is playing. What the hell is this? Is anyone else having these problems with Finale?

P.S. I'm using the mac for this.
    Wintel: Pentium III 1ghz processor, 1.4mb RAM, WinXP Pro
    Mac: Powerbook 12", 1ghz processor, 768mb RAM, OSX 10.3.9

Re: Unsuccessful percussion mapping in Finale 2004...

This is going to be smartallacky, but nope I use Overture SE due to its integration with GPO. Try it, you'll love it. Also, if you can find my thread, I go over how to set up a percussion track using Overture SE and GPO. Sounds like Finale is set up to the general midi mapping. The only thing I could think of is if Finale will let you change the instrument mapping of the percussion tracks so that the pitches match GPO's instruments. Overture SE can do this, but I know absolutely nothing of Finale.

Umm,

Thanks, I guess, Joe. I haven't installed O SE yet so maybe later. As far as Finale goes, it does (theoretically) have the ability to create maps to corresponding with whatever MIDI destination. Unfortunately for me it appears like that it seems to work like speaking Austrian to a Maori. I don't get it, Finale releases these upgrades every friggin year and they all seem to still work like ~~~~e when it comes to handling MIDI. I mean did you hear about the makers of Wonder Bread filing for chapter 11? If you make a mediocre product for years and years, doesn't it eventually catch up with you? Yeah that allegory is stretching a bit BUT I'M MAD!!!!

Try Overture. It has excellent midi handling capabilities. It does lack some of the luxurious notation aspects of its brethren, but they can't touch its playback capabilities. It has a freaking sequencer built into it. You can be just as expressive in Overture as you can in Cubase.

Thanks again Joe,

I'm installing it now. Man, if I ever get to meet some guys from Makemusic, I'm gonna bludgeon em' with Wonder Bread! I'M MAD!!!!

Thumbs up Re: Unsuccessful percussion mapping in Finale 2004...

Thanks Joe for jumping on this right away! Sharky, nice to meet you. I can say I've been there before with Finale and wound up trashing it for just that same reason. JB is right. Use Overture and you'll be able to put together a decent ensemble.
    Roll on bro!
    Styxx

Red face Re: Unsuccessful percussion mapping in Finale 2004...

Yeah,

I'm in like Flynn right now. It's MUCH easier to configure this. To think I wasted all of that time when I could've actually been composing and eating some coq au vin. I've sent emails to Finale asking why they couldn't implement a decent piano roll (like everyone else in th world) but I never get a response. Man, I feel so cheated all of that money. Well I suppose the scores do print out nice.

P.S. How does Sibelius compare? Just curious.

Once again thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by sharky
    Yeah,

I'm in like Flynn right now. It's MUCH easier to configure this. To think I wasted all of that time when I could've actually been composing and eating some coq au vin. I've sent emails to Finale asking why they couldn't implement a decent piano roll (like everyone else in th world) but I never get a response. Man, I feel so cheated all of that money. Well I suppose the scores do print out nice.

P.S. How does Sibelius compare? Just curious.

Once again thanks.
    In Finale, if you have a percussion line with just one percussion instrument, use the Single Pitch plugin to map all of your notes to the desired MIDI pitch for your GPO instrument. And if you are using multiple percussion instruments on one line but in different layers, you can still do the same thing by first turning on Show Active Layer Only and then running the plugin. If you have a problem getting the percussion maps set up, I'd be happy to look at your Finale file for you and show you what needs to change.

I don't agree that Finale can't touch Overture's playback capabilities. Both programs can handle almost any kind of MIDI editing. Finale has better intelligence for default playback as well as better tools for editing MIDI in large sections at a time or for recognizing patterns and applying MIDI data based on them. Overture has a superior graphic interface for quickly editing smaller amounts of data more intimately and efficiently. But you can make a score playback in one program exactly as it will in the other.

I've been a Finale user for many years. I have tried Overture but I too prefer Finale.

I've been using GPO for just a few days now. I've had problems with sound cards and ASIO drivers but now that I have it all working I still prefer to use Finale with GPO. This is not a criticism of Overture .. I think that is good too.

I know how frustrating and maddening it is .. been through it the past few days myself.

Good luck Sharky
    Michael
    Patience is a virtue, sensitivity is a gift

Go Back to forum