• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Loading over 1 GB of samples problem in Giga3

Share/Bookmark

Loading over 1 GB of samples problem in Giga3

I'm unable to load more than 44% memory with Giga3. Get the BSOD with the EW.SYS file. Was looking in Task Manager when loading samples and it occurs when 1 GB of memory is used. This has happened multiple times at this point. I'm using Windows XP SP1 with MIDIoverLan as the only other app installed and running.

I've also received the same BSOD (EW.SYS) with only 10-20% memory filled only playing one instrument at a time with and without GigaPulse loaded. I'll be playing a sound and boom, blue screen. These are with the Vienna sounds which are quite small and undemanding. I have yet to try Giga with a full sequence as I can't get the thing to run for more than a half hour before getting blue screens.

Here's a rundown of system:

P4 2.8c CPU
    ASUS P4C800-E Deluxe motherboard
    2 GB DDR 3200 RAM (Kingmax - all matched CS 2.5)
    ATI Rage Pro PCI video card (latest drivers)
    80 GB Maxtor EIDE drive - program drive
    200 GB Seagate SATA drive - sample drive
    Echo Darla 24 Soundcard

I've run system test, memory tests and stress tests on the system with no errors. The stress test used all 2 GB of memory with 100% CPU utilization overnight with no errors or overheating. So the hardware doesn't appear to be the issue.

No other tweaking has been done on the system except basic XP tweaking for performance. No memory tweaks have been done.

Anyone else having issues loading more than 1 GB? I've seen a couple other posts here with issues loading more than 1 GB and getting BSOD's but no particulars on what file was crashing.

Re: Loading over 1 GB of samples problem in Giga3

welcome in the future of 3.0

>No other tweaking has been done on the system except basic XP tweaking for >performance. No memory tweaks have been done.

well, this is weird. the normal behavior is that with no memory tweaks it dosent get beyond lets say 43% or so and after that you get an normal error.

>Anyone else having issues loading more than 1 GB? I've seen a couple other >posts here with issues loading more than 1 GB and getting BSOD's but no >particulars on what file was crashing.[/QUOTE]

i had this on 7 different machines now. without ram tweaking i have no bsod with ram tweaking i get crashes after something like 6085%

there are many reports about this on a few boards.
    i dont have any 1gb ram modules right now (all sold out) and i am waiting since 10 days now to get ram on stock. i will go more depply into this problem later this week.
    Digital AudionetworX

Having the same issues programming my Yamaha library, actually came on the board to see if I was the only one

Kindly
    Franky
    VIntaudio

The weird thing for me is that I can load more samples in my machine with 1GB of RAM than I could when I had 1.5GB in the machine.

In case you haven't read my story, after I updated the BIOS in my motherboard, the system no longer saw all my RAM, so I removed the odd stick. Previously, I could load 47% and then it would crash. The same amount of usage in the 1GB configuration is about 72%. Now I can go up to 90% without problems. At 92% it froze once, but it didn't blue screen.

All in all my 1GB GS3 machine is more stable than when I ran GS2.5 on 1.5GB. Then again, I now have a new BIOS, updated drivers and a clean WinXP SP1 install. GS2.5 might have been happier on my cleaned up machine as well.

For grins you might de-populate your system to 1GB and see if it's happier. If so, consider keeping the RAM in a static bag until GS3.01 appears.

-JF

Do you think 3.01 will address that issue?

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Have you guys done the Matthias trick?

Just a general remark. Don't be confused by the memory percentage numbers in Giga 3. The number is not calculated with the same formula as in Giga 2.5. On my 1.5GB machines I reached 99% in Giga 2.5 which corresponded to about 800MB in mem usage on the msg32.exe process according to task manager. With Giga 3 I reach 74% which corresponds to over 900MB. The conclusion is, I can load more samples, but the memory percentage formula has changed. I still haven't managed to get more info on the subject yet.

There seems to be a problem when maxing out the load capacity though, as my machines also automatically reboots when I try to go over 74%.

/Mattias

Rebooting PC's when going over the memory limit can be caused by weird registry setting in the memory management portion of the registry. Run the diagnostics and look at the log portion with the title
    'SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management'

Here is a correct one for a 1 GB system:

Registry location: SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management
    ClearPageFileAtShutdown: 0x00000000 (0)
    DisablePagingExecutive: 0x00000000 (0)
    LargeSystemCache: 0x00000000 (0)
    NonPagedPoolQuota: 0x00000000 (0)
    NonPagedPoolSize: 0x00000000 (0)
    PagedPoolQuota: 0x00000000 (0)
    PagedPoolSize: 0x00000000 (0)
    SecondLevelDataCache: 0x00000000 (0)
    SystemPages: 0x000c3000 (798720)
    PagingFiles: Unknown Data Type
    PhysicalAddressExtension: 0x00000000 (0)
    SessionViewSize: 0x00000030 (48)
    SessionPoolSize: 0x00000004 (4)
    WriteWatch: 0x00000001 (1)
    I have no idea how these values relate to the tweaks explained by Matthias but after fiddling with values I was able to change the amount of RAM that is available for Giga.

In my attempts to load very large files with 1000+ samples I tried various other things:
    - reduce polyphony in system settings to minimum (32 voices) and set the synthesizer to 12 voices
    - start the application without Quicksound and external components, just hard ware connected
    - and reduced the amount of memory reserved for stacked instruments to 128

This works! You get more RAM available to load. Off coarse you cannot create any work with this but it gives you an indication if it's time to get your credit card out and order some 1 GB RAM chips...

I can now load both files that first crashed the system.
    Best regards,
    Michiel Post

Quote Originally Posted by Mattias Henningson
    There seems to be a problem when maxing out the load capacity though, as my machines also automatically reboots when I try to go over 74%.
    /Mattias
    Hey Mattias,

did you do the Mattias trick?

Just kidding ;-)
    Digital AudionetworX

Quote Originally Posted by Michiel Post
    if it's time to get your credit card out and order some 1 GB RAM chips...
    I dont understand what you want to say.
    Our Problem is that we allready have more than 1gb.
    So, actually that would mean we should SELL hour other 1GB Sticks or so.

No, this all makes no sense!!!
    I think Mattias is again! in the same direction.

Again without the "Mattias" tweak i get no crash (maybe other do???) but i cant load more then something like 40% into ram.
    I am getting 10 1GB Sticks tommorw then i will check if the numbers are correct.
    and what exact amount of ram i can load into msg.exe
    Digital AudionetworX

Go Back to forum