• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Some useful midi-orchestration and composition links!

Share/Bookmark

Some useful midi-orchestration and composition links!

Re: Some useful midi-orchestration and composition links!

Can you guys listen to the mp3's on the second link ? ( James Newton ). There are two mp3's . One is called Midi Mock-up and the other is called Live orchestration .
    I downloaded the files , i heard them and said "that's not possible man" .
    After wave checking both , they are almost -exactly- the same, even the phaze is the same throughout the songs .
    Is this real or just a big marketing lie ?

Hi Theodor.

I have downloaded both the files, and I think they sound almost (completely)identical. Just listen to the strings. If James Newton Howard is able to emulate the same string sound as the live orchestra have with his samples, its really amazing. BTW, the performance is very complex (sometimes chaotic) and I can't separate the two performances by listening to them. Something else about the strings: When the strings starts playing a leadline in the middle of the song, I thought: Aha! Thats the small dips in volume he was talking about (made with his expression pedal). Nevertheless, when I heard the same strings performed with the orchestra, it sounded completely identical! It is not possible! It could be, as you said Theodor, a big marketing lie, but for what purpose???

Wink Re: Some useful midi-orchestration and composition links!

Quote Originally Posted by Theodor
    Can you guys listen to the mp3's on the second link ? ( James Newton ). There are two mp3's . One is called Midi Mock-up and the other is called Live orchestration .
    I downloaded the files , i heard them and said "that's not possible man" .
    After wave checking both , they are almost -exactly- the same, even the phaze is the same throughout the songs .
    Is this real or just a big marketing lie ?
    I listened to those MP3's you're talking about 8 or 9 months ago - and then tried to forget it.

I can't see it myself.

I remember that a discussion along these lines took place here some time ago and it turns out that both of those files are of the 'real' performance. Depending on your perspectve you'll be either relieved or saddened to hear that the midi version is quite obviously a mockup. In fact, I recall that I was at least slightly dissapointed when hearing the actual midi version after all the expectations that the article raised. I don't know if the MP3 is still available and unfortunately, I don't have it bookmarked anywhere.

S.

Spectro... do you mean that "The Egg Travels" (MIDI Mock-up) - MP3".... is actually NOT a midi-mockup at all ????? ..... Gary

In my "RealPlayer" library.... I had this marked as "The Egg Travels" MIDI.... but it no longer works for me.
    I think that this was the link:
    http://www.xs4all.nl/~jclmavg/eggtravels_midi.mp3

Gary

I did this small frequency analysis with winamp's spectrograph . The waves are identical

Oh well

EDIT :

"Winamp frq anaysis" hehehehe oops

I've got a copy of the actual soundtrack CD and I just want to settle this once and for all. The tracks on the James Newton Howard page are both the mockup. They sound great, obviously, but the real orchestral recording is the real deal. Not to take anything away from the mockup, but put them side by side and you couldn't possibly mistake one for the other.

Well that is false advertising and it hurts other composers who might be competing with james howard newton .. just in case google scans this forum, lets give them a catch phrase: Fraud: James Newton Howard master of midi orchestration has been found to be a fraud of midi orchestration in the masters board of the northern sounds forum. His website web site web sight of midi orchestration midi arrangement arranging for midi has misleading recordings and James Newton Howard Master of Midi orchestration, composers have the bragging rights, big-time Hollywood film music Pretty Woman, The Fugitive, and more and he should correct his public advertising on behalf of us all.

Go Back to forum