• Register
  • Help

Topic: First of the first

Share/Bookmark

First of the first

Hi,

Well I have finally finished by song ( I think) I dont know how to do anything in cubase (crescendo, change tempo) etc etc so.. everything is just plain.. and the instrument taken are not changed a bit ;p I will have my midi keyboard soon, so will be easier then just write in Sebilius directly give me comments please. I never had music course or anything. I play some piano and thats it. so I dont know the 'rules' etc thx

http://www.rentgame.ca/song/toune1.mp3

Have to title for it yet . And this is for a future game me and my friend making.

Saldor

Thumbs up Re: First of the first

First off, let me say welcome to the Garritan forum!
    It amazes me what people such as yourself can do with very little or no formal training in music composition when writing. Just proves that the ear is an important part of composition as well as exposure to all genres of music. I am not a video music buff but I will say this was done quite nicely for not having a keyboard controller. Once you finally have one to work with you will undoubtedly have more control over expression and dynamics especially with the use of a modulation wheel.
    Overall, nice work!

Hey, if you are interested, here is a book I found most helpful when first learning part writing skills and other aspects of music theory.

Scales, Intervals, Keys, Triads, Rhythm, and Meter: A Programmed Course in Elementary Music Theory, With an Introduction to Partwriting
    By John Clough
    Styxx

Re: First of the first

Quote Originally Posted by Styxx
    First off, let me say welcome to the Garritan forum!
    It amazes me what people such as yourself can do with very little or no formal training in music composition when writing. Just proves that the ear is an important part of composition as well as exposure to all genres of music. I am not a video music buff but I will say this was done quite nicely for not having a keyboard controller. Once you finally have one to work with you will undoubtedly have more control over expression and dynamics especially with the use of a modulation wheel.
    Overall, nice work!

Hey, if you are interested, here is a book I found most helpful when first learning part writing skills and other aspects of music theory.

Scales, Intervals, Keys, Triads, Rhythm, and Meter: A Programmed Course in Elementary Music Theory, With an Introduction to Partwriting
    By John Clough
    Hi,

I was afraid of the comments after hearing all those good composition on this board! When you use a midi keyboard and record directly in Sebilius or a notation program, it record the speed and all? And, whats the modulation wheel? Hmm I will try to find that book in french, always easier for me since I am not perfercly bilingual. (The musical term I know 0 english of it ) or will learn..
    Thanks!

I definitely hear something wonderful in the workings here. The piece while not fully realized yet, has the potential to be a very excellent composition. I really feel the VGM inspiration in it. I would recommend adding some modulation data into Cubase to give the piece some dynamics as well as legato where appropriate. Very good. Just minor nitpicking with the dynamics of the piece since the composition is excellent. Take your time to learn the ins and outs of GPO and you'll do great.

Saldor,

Welcome to the forum!

You're off to a good start and you came to the right place to learn and develop your craft.
    Inputting with just a notation program can be difficult because the notes are quantized and level. You could try saving the file as a MIDI file and importing it into a sequencer and adjusting the controllers for more expression. There are also Sibelius plugins on our site that allow you to do some of this.

For little or no training in music and using notation you did well and show talent.

Thank you for posting your music.

Gary Garritan

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Burrell
    I definitely hear something wonderful in the workings here. The piece while not fully realized yet, has the potential to be a very excellent composition. I really feel the VGM inspiration in it. I would recommend adding some modulation data into Cubase to give the piece some dynamics as well as legato where appropriate. Very good. Just minor nitpicking with the dynamics of the piece since the composition is excellent. Take your time to learn the ins and outs of GPO and you'll do great.
    Hi,

Thx for the comments. I am not familiar with all those music term yet what is VGM ? And the modulation is the volume of each note in cubase?

thanks

Saldor

Go Back to forum