• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Legato not working in GS3

Share/Bookmark

Legato not working in GS3

Is anyone else experiencing the following problem with GS3 legato gigs?

1. Load a legato instrument.
    2. Hold down a key.
    3. Press the next note, while still holding the initial key, which triggers the legato sample. This is fine so far.
    4. Release the first note while still holding the second.
    5. The result is that all notes stop sounding instead of just the key that was released.

Someone on the VSL forum has also seen this problem.

My system is a P4 2.8, 2GB Ram, Audiophile 24/96.
    Westgate Studios
    Sound Libraries for Gigastudio and Kontakt

Re: Legato not working in GS3

The demo clarinet and viola ensembles work perfectly for me. Press and hold the C and the C plays. Press the D and only the D plays. Lift the C and the D continues to play. Lift the D, silence.

I did hear some problems when I would play the second note poorly, like if my finger pressed the D for an instant, released it and pressed it again. Then I would get silence, even after the second press.

I would guess that any problems are related to the messages from the controller to GS3. Maybe you're getting a bounce (on-off-on) I'm using a Kurzweil PC88 into a USB MidiSport 1x1.

-JF

I first noticed the problem while trying to create a legato instrument. I thought that I had built the instrument incorrectly until I read of a couple other people having the same playback problem with the bundled VSL instruments.

I actually have VSL and everything works fine with the Performance Tool, so my controller and other hardware are proven.

There must be a slight difference in the way GS3 and the Performance Tool handle incoming midi, or how they alter it and send it forward, that is dependent on hardware, or possibly drivers.
    Westgate Studios

andyt

Timzydee,

I have EXACTLY the same problem. I have found no cure, but going into iMidi and editing the the legato slider controls (release and interval) improves behaviour somewhat. But it is still far from right. At best it becomes unpredictable. As it is, it is unuseable.

I too have a proper VSL library (solo strings) so I know how it should sound.

Andy

Perhaps everyone that has this problem can post their system specs so that the "powers that be" can get to the root of the problem.
    Westgate Studios

My impression is that it is not a system configuration problem, but rather an iMidi implementation issue. It's easy enough to get the second note (i.e., the first legato note) to play correctly, but the third note and on are practically impossible to perform legato style. I too have played with a number of settings in the iMidi setup. No luck getting it to work right, thus far.

BillC

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Report this to Tascam, attention Joe Bibbo.

Just wanted to add my name to the list of people having the exact same problem.

--Jay

It would be good to include your computer information, but especially the MIDI interface and the controller that you are using.

An interesting test would be to draw a performance into your sequencer with the mouse and play that. Does it have the same problems that playing from the controller has?

-JF

Quote Originally Posted by JonFairhurst
    It would be good to include your computer information, but especially the MIDI interface and the controller that you are using.

An interesting test would be to draw a performance into your sequencer with the mouse and play that. Does it have the same problems that playing from the controller has?

-JF
    FYI -- Others have noted the same problem when playing the VSL Imidi legato instruments with midi tracks from a sequencer.

I'm having the same problem as the others here playing the Imidi VSL legato samples on a Yamaha S80 keyboard through an M-audio Delta 1010. These samples sound so promising for one or two notes, but then subsequently choke and stutter so much that I haven't been able to use them or fully enjoy the VSL legato love.

David

Go Back to forum