• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: RME DIGI96/8 series: no GSIF 2 support

Share/Bookmark

RME DIGI96/8 series: no GSIF 2 support

Just wanted to give a word of warning to anyone planning to buy one of the RME DIGI 96/8 series cards for GS3 based on the Tascam compatibility information posted on their website.

I bought the DIGI96/8 PAD last week to use in a new GS3 system. After installing the newest drivers and noticing they show up as GSIF 1.70 in Gigastudio, I contacted RME.

Currently the drivers for the DIGI96/8 series are not GSIF 2 compatible. The response I received said "this support will likely be added".

I hope so, otherwise I just wasted several hundred bucks on a card I can't use. I will email Tascam and complain about the compatibility list not being correct.

Re: RME DIGI96/8 series: no GSIF 2 support

GSIF has three parts: MIDI In, Audio In and Audio Out.

MIDI In: GSIF is not required. Standard Windows MIDI works fine. There is no GSIF-1 for MIDI. GSIF-2 is kernel MIDI and provides lower latency than Windows MIDI.

Audio In: GSIF-1 has no Audio In function. GSIF-2 is required to bring audio into GS3.

Audio Out: GSIF-1 is required to output audio from GS3 to a sound card. GSIF-2 didn't change the Audio Out specs.

ReWire can now be used to output audio to the sequencer and to input MIDI from the sequencer. No GSIF hardware required.

Maybe the RME board is usable - just not optimal. Check the GigaStudio threads related to RME that are about a week old. There is an installation bug and a workaround available.

-JF

Unfortunately, bringing audio from another system into GS3 is something I was expecting to be able to do.

This is weird, I recently checked the RME site to see if my 3 Giga PC's can handle GST 3. One of them has a Digi 96/8 and I thought there was a GSIF 2 driver available for it.

However: there should be no problem using the card for regular playback of samples, like with Gigastudio 2.54.

GSIF 2 support is only required if you want to process incoming audio.

Regards,

In the meantime you can bring in your audio as a wav file, quickly add it to a distributed wave gig and play the audio as a really long sample. You can then GigaPulse it with everything else. It won't work for live stuff, and may not be the workflow you're looking for, but it can get the job done until the new drivers are solid with GS3.

-JF

The only GSIF-2 MIDI that RME does is for the Fireface. The others all only do GSIF-2 for the AUDIO. There is an annoying RME-TASCAM interaction that you need to workaround to get the MIDI on the RME to work at all if you have GS3 installed but it's a trivial tweak to the registry.

->Audio In: GSIF-1 has no Audio In function. GSIF-2 is required to bring audio into GS3.

->Audio Out: GSIF-1 is required to output audio from GS3 to a sound card. GSIF-2 didn't change the Audio Out specs.

I have been trying to figure out with the old threads if my RME 96/52 is going to be doing what I need, and I am a bit confused, so could you help me there ?

- I use a Unitor, not the card's midi ports.
    - My Sequencer is on another Machine and I don't input any audio on the PC ( shuttle P4- 2.4 ) Adat in, is used only for wordclock.

Thanks in advance

Sophia

Many of us are using cards where the manufacturers haven't come out with GSIF 2 drivers yet.

I have a HDSP 9652 so I can answer your questions.

If you don't care anything about the HDSP midi ports, then you need do NOTHING out of the box except DO NOT UPDATE/REINSTALL the current version of the driver after you have installed GS3.

If you do want to use the HDSP MIDI ports, then there is a registry tweak you
    must do after the HDSP driver is installed and before GS3 is installed.

Thanks

Go Back to forum