• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Unsuccessful start and 'Device in use' error Message

Share/Bookmark

Unhappy Unsuccessful start and 'Device in use' error Message

I tried searching the forums for this prob without any luck.

I've just received GPO and installed it. I want to run Studio with Finale which I've been using for many years (presently 2004). After a few hours and virtually no success I downloaded the Beethoven 5th sample and Finale page to try to find what I was doing wrong. The sample played with its orchestral sounds but also with a piano blasting away over everything. I deleted the sample.

Now I can do even less with the prog. I can't even play back through my midiman connected to my external synth! Whenever I try to play using Studio host with Finale I get the error message: 'The specified device is already in use. Wait until it is free then try again.' There is nothing else running! I uninstalled Studio Host and reinstalled .. still the same error message! I have checked the Midi settings in Finale and in Studio and they all match up fine.

I have a P4 3.0 gig processor with 1 gig of memory and a 120 Gig hard drive.

Would appreciate any help. Feeling disappointed and fed up so far though having heard the fantastic sounds in the site demos before buying, I'm eager to get going with this.

Thanks.
    Michael
    Patience is a virtue, sensitivity is a gift

Re: Unsuccessful start and 'Device in use' error Message

Goto Control Panel -> Multimedia and check whether on the Audio Tab you have Microsoft GS Wavetable SW Synth enabled. If Yes, change to your Midi Output device.
    Hope this helps - If not, come back here.
    fmfgs

Hello fmfgs,

Thanks for your response. I have checked 'Audio' (Multimedia) in Control Panel and everything is fine there.

I can resolve the problem by reinstalling 'Finale' then everything works ok for a few sessions then the problem returns. Seems like 'Finale' or GPO or Windows won't close the MIDI events. I can play through Finale's own softsynth.

I have sent an email to Finale Support to see if they can help. In the meantime, if you or anyone else has a suggestion to close the sticking MIDI I would be very grateful. It's not a viable option to uninstall then reinstall Finale each time

Thanks,
    Michael

Hi Michael
    Of course reinstalling finale is not a option...
    Since I dont have finale on my system i dont really know what to do. First I would like to check whether you can see in the windows task manager after closing finale some "leftovers". I would be surprised if it is GPO who is not unloading properly.
    Second question: Is it possible to disable finales own softsynth?
    Sorry to have more questions then answers - but only the right questions lead to a solution...

good luck
    fmfgs

Smile Re: Unsuccessful start and 'Device in use' error Message

Hello again,

Thanks again for trying to help out. It's much appreciated.

Can't see any 'left overs' in the 'Windows' Task Manager. Not sure about disabling 'Smartsynth' .. will look into that.

I'm going to try installing a sound card like the Audigy2 .. I presently have on-board AC97. Additionally the Audigy2 has AISO and it might solve the MIDI problem. I'm also going to uninstall Finale 2004 and install Finale 2005 to increase my chances!!!

I'll post back with the results. Will also post back when I've heard from Finale Tech Support.

Thanks again for your efforts
    Michael

Quote Originally Posted by Michael_uk
    Hello again,

Thanks again for trying to help out. It's much appreciated.

Can't see any 'left overs' in the 'Windows' Task Manager. Not sure about disabling 'Smartsynth' .. will look into that.

I'm going to try installing a sound card like the Audigy2 .. I presently have on-board AC97. Additionally the Audigy2 has AISO and it might solve the MIDI problem. I'm also going to uninstall Finale 2004 and install Finale 2005 to increase my chances!!!

I'll post back with the results. Will also post back when I've heard from Finale Tech Support.

Thanks again for your efforts

If you install an Audigy, be sure to download the latest drivers from Creative Labs, even it appears that the sound card is up to date!!!!!! I use Audigy 2 ZX. No problems since updating the drivers. It is probably a very good idea to replace the sound card which came with your computer. I am thinking it is probably built in to the mother board, so you can not actually remove it. The Audigy installation may automatically disable it. Otherwise, you must disable it. You will not regret replacing the built in sound card. I have never heard of one that performed well.

Richard Wayland

Hello Richard,

Thanks for your input.

Weeelll .. here goes. First I uninstalled Fianle 2004 and installed Finale 2005 and .. voila .. everything appeared to work. I could actually hear those marvellous sounds of the GPO libraries .. albeit with some delay!.

My Audigy2 ZS arrived (did you mean ZS or do you have a ZX?) and so I disabled on-board sound and installed the Audigy2. I got a warning that the ASIO drivers had changed. I went into 'preferences and settings to set everything up as per the manual and on-line help.

There were three ASIO drivers on offer .. I chose the first one .. the Creative ASIO duplex. Then disaster! I got the error message: Portaudio error (-9997) 6 - duplex. Invalid sample rate! I clicked OK and got the message: Unable to initiate audio device .. then I got an access violation screen and Studio shut down. I cannot open it at all to try different settings.

I uninstalled the Audigy2 then reinstalled the on-board sound and got it all working again. Then I reinstalled the Audigy2 and selected the second AISO option: ASIO SBAudigy2 ZS ASIO 24/96 .. exactly the same things happened as before. I did yet a third uninstall and reinstall and tried the third option: ASIO SBAudigy2 ZS (A .. duplex) (6000) (duplex) .. still the same thing happened.

I did download the latest driver. I doubt anyone has the solution .. other than to try another sound card.

Anyway, thanks to everyone for trying. Beginning to wonder if i'll ever get to use this thing now. Someone out there must be using it with no probs .. what sound cards are you all using and what settings

Thanks.
    Michael

You are really unlucky with your setup.
    Try this link for a alternative asio driver:

http://michael.tippach.bei.t-online.de/asio4all/

Good luck
    fmfgs

Hi Michael,

Sorry to hear about your rotten luck. Please don't give up. There are some real clever people visiting this forum so hopefully someone will help you in the right direction.

I had some frustrating weeks to get Studio, Sibelius and my echo indigo card working together properly. But I managed to get it right in the end. The strangest thing: I switched back to 'microsoft wavetable' as the midi output and everything worked fine.

Good luck,
    f.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael_uk
    Hello Richard,

Thanks for your input.

Weeelll .. here goes. First I uninstalled Fianle 2004 and installed Finale 2005 and .. voila .. everything appeared to work. I could actually hear those marvellous sounds of the GPO libraries .. albeit with some delay!.

My Audigy2 ZS arrived (did you mean ZS or do you have a ZX?) and so I disabled on-board sound and installed the Audigy2. I got a warning that the ASIO drivers had changed. I went into 'preferences and settings to set everything up as per the manual and on-line help.

There were three ASIO drivers on offer .. I chose the first one .. the Creative ASIO duplex. Then disaster! I got the error message: Portaudio error (-9997) 6 - duplex. Invalid sample rate! I clicked OK and got the message: Unable to initiate audio device .. then I got an access violation screen and Studio shut down. I cannot open it at all to try different settings.

I uninstalled the Audigy2 then reinstalled the on-board sound and got it all working again. Then I reinstalled the Audigy2 and selected the second AISO option: ASIO SBAudigy2 ZS ASIO 24/96 .. exactly the same things happened as before. I did yet a third uninstall and reinstall and tried the third option: ASIO SBAudigy2 ZS (A .. duplex) (6000) (duplex) .. still the same thing happened.

I did download the latest driver. I doubt anyone has the solution .. other than to try another sound card.

Anyway, thanks to everyone for trying. Beginning to wonder if i'll ever get to use this thing now. Someone out there must be using it with no probs .. what sound cards are you all using and what settings

Thanks.

Oops, yes, ZS. It appears to me that presuming you have obtained the very latest drivers, that your problem is in the options. I had some difficulty in determining which would work, but having found it, no further problems.

This works for me: using GPO Studio, driver, creative asio duplex; sample rate, 48000, latency, variable (for me, 2 - 50); buffers 512.

Nothing else seems to work right. These setting are good for Sibelius, Overture, Sonar, probably more, but that is all that I have tried. The sample rate is not the standard 44100 used for cd audio, but is easily converted with the Creative Audio Converter. You may have to diddle around a bit, but the settings I mentioned are a good starting point.

Go Back to forum