• Register
  • Help

Topic: Activating Keyswitches via Sequencer

Share/Bookmark

Activating Keyswitches via Sequencer

I'm being rather brave having now two posts regarding GS3 features and sequencers - but here goes nothing.

How might a simpleton (who uses Finale as sequencer) like me activate keyswitches via the sequencer? Must I enter a REALLY low note - depending on where the keyswitch is on the keyboard - in the stave to activate the desired keyswitch (on an invisible layer for the sequencer)?

If one must simply add an invisible note- must it be entered before the next notes, or can it be entered to play with the first note?

I do appreciate any help with this.

Re: Activating Keyswitches via Sequencer

Yes, you need to enter the really low note -- and it looks very strange on a treble clef! I put it just before the proper note, with duration 1 (minimum) and velocity 1 (minimum). In my sequencer, sonar, it's much more convenient to enter such things in an event window, not on the score itself. Could you use a Finale 'expression' to handle this? Also, of course, if it is an instrument you use a lot you could use the gigastudio editor to reprogram with a different switching method. Save your work as a new gig file, naturally!

Thanks for the help, again, gugliel.
    While there is no expession made specifically for keyswitches (that I know of), I suppose I could use the transpose expression on the invisible note so it is not so odd in treble clef.

To your other suggestion regarding the editing of the instrument- I'm curious to what other keyswitching options there are, unless you mean simply to move the switch notes to a more convenient location on the keyboard.

You say that you place the switch at least one beat before the desired change, however I wonder how this would work in a continuous passage of playing where, for instance, two adjacent notes need a different effect activated by the switch. How do you work around this problem?

Lately, I've been using keyswitches more and more - they are convenient, save midi channels -- allows you to keep parts on one track - but, can be a pain in the ~~~.

My main complaint now is for instance, bars 1-12 i use Keyswitch 1 -- bars 13-15 i use Keyswitch 3. So im working on bar 14 and want to go back to bar 7 and listen. It of course is playing the patch triggered for Keyswitch 3 -- so to hear that passage played right i would need to go back to measure 1 and re-trigger the correct keyswitch.

I wish there was a way around this -- midi chase in Logic doesnt seem to work :-/

Anyone else?

In Sibelius the best method is to send a "note off" midi message. In Sib you select the first note to be affected, type "Ctrl-E" and type "~O64,0" The tilde hides the following text the "O" is for note Off, the 64 is the note (middle C is 64) and the "0" is the velocity.

I'm not sure how MIDI messages are sent from Finale, but I know that it can be done.

I can't do two or more notes in a chord with different keyswitches. I'd use different staves / different channels.

I think MIDI searchback usually works for program/bank changes, but not for keyswitching. Usually one doesn't care that the C1 was played ten bars ago, but you do care about the current program. For composing in Sibelius I prefer to use program changes to keyswitches for that reason.

-JF

Quote Originally Posted by SWL

I wish there was a way around this -- midi chase in Logic doesnt seem to work :-/

Anyone else?
    It doesn't work in Logic? It does in Nuendo...

Daryl

Quote Originally Posted by SWL
    Lately, I've been using keyswitches more and more - they are convenient, save midi channels -- allows you to keep parts on one track - but, can be a pain in the ~~~.

My main complaint now is for instance, bars 1-12 i use Keyswitch 1 -- bars 13-15 i use Keyswitch 3. So im working on bar 14 and want to go back to bar 7 and listen. It of course is playing the patch triggered for Keyswitch 3 -- so to hear that passage played right i would need to go back to measure 1 and re-trigger the correct keyswitch.

Anyone else?
    LOL, I have always accepted this as standard operational procedure in midi-sequencing. I (very often) insert keyswitches even for single notes, for instance to avoid machine gun effects. Beside this, I also edit expression curves after playing in notes, to avoid "organ"-like sounds, where all notes tend to have the same, static loudness. Dirty job, but someone's gotta do it...

You can also edit the intrument, and change the dimension controler to something else than the keyboard (I use cc16). Then in Finle, you create non-printing staff articulations that insert the desired controller value.

Quote Originally Posted by Lickety-Split
    - I'm curious to what other keyswitching options there are, unless you mean simply to move the switch notes to a more convenient location on the keyboard.

You say that you place the switch at least one beat before the desired change, ?
    Bill answered the first question,you can open up the gigastudio editor and find the options; as the second, i meant BEFORE the note, but not a BEAT before. Just the smallest convenient fraction of a beat. For instance, I've gotten used to putting all musical notes about 10/960ths after the beat (my sequencer is set to divide a quarter note into 960 fractions). Then there are 10 ticks with room for keyswitches, controller settings, patch changes, and tuning. Just a working habit that suits my non-real-time step entry style.

When I put a Key Aftertouch in the Event list, midi-Ox trap the key and translate to the targeted keyswitch. This way all my keyswitches in the event list are easily identifiable.

SergeD

Go Back to forum