• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: FXTeleport, VStack, Forte etc ... bugs, features, performance ... ??

Share/Bookmark

FXTeleport, VStack, Forte etc ... bugs, features, performance ... ??

Hiho together,

i own FX Teleport and it's working out very well so far except some little problem which happen to all of use here and there.

I never cared much about VStack, Forte and maybe other products i still don't know maybe.

So i would like to ask you guys if you could just give some statements about how you or with which tool you guys work.

Like i said i know and own FXT, but sometimes i have dropouts (i guess it's my 100MBit LAN), then you have to load the complete setup everytime you open a song etc etc.

So maybe you made some other experiences with other products? Just curious about that if you have bugs or difficulties too, using these tools

Re: FXTeleport, VStack, Forte etc ... bugs, features, performance ... ??

Good questions! I need to know this myself also...

Waywyn, sinice you use FXT. Can you tell us how does latency on playback and bouncing work? Are they all compensated for example Computer 1 and Computer 2 are in sync with playback and when you bounce? Or do you need to manually adjust them in an audio editor? How does this process work? I may be getting a second computer and i don't know how latency will play into all this.

my working experiences are these:

i have three pcs and my soundcard is set to a buffer size to 1024 at the moment because i am using a lot of instruments like ewqlso gold (8Instances), stormdrum (nearly full loadded with the big hits, taikos, thunderensemble etc)

there is just a little latency when you record the stuff in realtime/manually but when you do playback there is no latency at all because cubase got automatic latency correction (like other sequencers too)

everything works cool, except:
    (there also might be errors which are my fault but i am not sure):

- one pc is connected to internet and firewall. sometimes there is just a loud crackle and i loose the vstis on the internet pc, dunno how the firewall or the internet disturbes fxt - this should not happen.

- sometimes i have a lot of dropouts during the bounce process

- the bounce button on FXT doesnt work at all (at least it seems like)

- the whole setup has to be loaded with everytime you open or close a project.

so my main question would be if VStack (or forte) works the same because i really don't find an explanation or a review on the net and if it also works over LAN. I checked some stuff on the forte homepage and also downloaded the demo-version but it seems like you have to use it over MIDI and not LAN. correct me if i am wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Waywyn
    there is just a little latency when you record the stuff in realtime/manually but when you do playback there is no latency at all because cubase got automatic latency correction (like other sequencers too)
    Thanks for your answers. My question then is how do you manage this issue? When you export won't drums on one computer sound off with say the orchestra on another pc?

Also I hope other people give input on this too. The whole networking stuff still confuses me. I will try the FXT demo when I get the other pc, but I am curious on if VStack and Forte is better and why.

- sometimes i have a lot of dropouts during the bounce process

- the bounce button on FXT doesnt work at all (at least it seems like)

- the whole setup has to be loaded with everytime you open or close a project.
    Dropouts on Audio Export : I wonder if this is unrelated to FXTeleport. This could be a problem with the latest Kompakt players (1.0.3.0010) included with EWQLSO and Stormdrum, and also the latest build of Kontakt when used with Cubase SX. See this thread.........

http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...ad.php?t=24293

As a workaround, maybe try using 'Realtime Export' in SX2/3. It seems to work for me whenever I have a problem.

Bounce button in FXTeleport : Never used it so can't say. I always export through SX.

Loading the Full Setup each time : True. It's a bit of a pain with a large template for sure.

Max has said on the FXTeleport forum that he believes that an installed firewall can interfere with FXTeleport performance even if it is disabled. I know he's not been visible on the FXTeleport forum much lately, but he responds to direct e-mails pretty quickly. Might be worth dropping him a line at max@fxteleport.com to confirm that.

Steve

@ steve:

""Dropouts on Audio Export : I wonder if this is unrelated to FXTeleport. This could be a problem with the latest Kompakt players (1.0.3.0010) included with EWQLSO and Stormdrum, and also the latest build of Kontakt when used with Cubase SX. See this thread.........""

--> yes i know about all that update and patch problems, but, no, i just have these problems on the fxt vsti's, not on the internal gold vstis

""As a workaround, maybe try using 'Realtime Export' in SX2/3. It seems to work for me whenever I have a problem.""

--> i also tried that, but realtime export just stops in the middle telling me i that it is not able to continue (dunno the exact message)

""Bounce button in FXTeleport : Never used it so can't say. I always export through SX.""

--> yes, but the bounce button also exports through sx, but the button is described as a help during the bounce to prevent dropouts or other stuff.

"""Max has said on the FXTeleport forum that he believes that an installed firewall can interfere with FXTeleport performance even if it is disabled. I know he's not been visible on the FXTeleport forum much lately, but he responds to direct e-mails pretty quickly. Might be worth dropping him a line at max@fxteleport.com to confirm that."""

--> okay, thanks for that, i might try that again, tho i know he replies pretty fast. but all i wanted to know are some advantages of vstack or forte. i never cared about them, but it is better to know everything than just one program

@panzer:
    better get the demo and read the manual
    basically you install fxt 3 times if you have 3 pcs, then you transport the vsti into your sequencer on the main machine, but you use the cpu power of your slaves, while you use the soundcard and the sequencer on your main machine. all this is happening through lan-network.

Hiho together,

i own FX Teleport and it's working out very well so far except some little problem which happen to all of use here and there.

I never cared much about VStack, Forte and maybe other products i still don't know maybe.

So i would like to ask you guys if you could just give some statements about how you or with which tool you guys work.

Like i said i know and own FXT, but sometimes i have dropouts (i guess it's my 100MBit LAN), then you have to load the complete setup everytime you open a song etc etc.

So maybe you made some other experiences with other products? Just curious about that if you have bugs or difficulties too, using these tools

Funny, I was just getting ready to look into Forte after seeing a fellow composer rave about it. He seems to just treat it almost like a hardware unit (e.g., 5080) with each of the 16 ports housing a VSTi (which operates like a bank of sounds). It stores presets and was supposedly designed for live use (i.e., stable). Any one here using this product?

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Forte is nice. A friend of mine, Mike Garrett, is one of the authors.

Thumbs up Re: FXTeleport, VStack, Forte etc ... bugs, features, performance ... ??

Hello!

I use Forte exclusively on one of my PC's and I think it's really solid!!
    I use it so the PC can behave like a hardware sound module. I do need an audio card with midi. I'm using RME's HDSP9632 and it's been working flawlessly so far. The timing is as good as hardware midi-wise. I don't feel it's sluggish whatsoever. I have set the buffer of the RME at 128 samples and there's no dropouts in audio. I have only good things to say about it!

Yves

Forte has been rock soild and very cool with all 'real' VSTs I've thrown at it. It's the best VST host for live gigs that I've found after examining a fair number of them. But I haven't used FXTeleport or networking with Forte, just direct MIDI in. I do have a problem with Forte and the Giga/VST adapter, which you can read about here:

http://www.brainspawn.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=851

In summary, it sometimes kinda works but it's nowhere near reliable enough for live performances.

- Steve

Go Back to forum