• Register
  • Help

Topic: TASCAM Get REAL!

Share/Bookmark

TASCAM Get REAL!

Tascam,

this upgrade procedure you have forced on the up-graders is asinine, inconsiderate, and just freak-en waste of time for the end user.

I am writing this because i am sitting here waiting on tascam to call me back, cause only one person can supply this CD-key number that should have been given to us by numerous methods of communication that we have today.

Let alone my lic oddly ended in nine days, i thought i had 10 days....
    i knew this would happen @ the wrong time....tick-tock.

cmon guys there had to be a better way to accomplish this, without it being a thorn in our sides.

thanks to all the ones that posted about this before, had i not known that we needed to call, this would have really caught me off guard and even pissed me off more.

why could this process not looked @ our previous cd key from GS 2.5 and then generate a new # and send it to tascam via the same online autho when installing. i just dont understand when companies make the end user waste time and money by having to contact the company. let alone all the people that this happened to on the east coast long before tascam was even awake..... arrgh ok i'm done now..

there has to be a better way!

douglas

PS by the WAY GS3 is extremely cool!

Re: TASCAM Get REAL!

They also promised that GS3 would work with windows 2000, not for me. It looks like I have to buy XP, and I am not happy about that...

It was on their own forum that stated: "We will not remove that ability (win2k)" Of couse, I can't prove this anymore since the post is long gone.

When I try to run the program, my system freezes, and yet the editor will open just fine...go figure...

Huh, your grace period lasted 9 days. Mine lasted about 2 HOURS! It crashed after a couple of hours of playing and now it says I have 0 days left. I guess I'll try calling.

> CD-key number that should have been given

How did you order? I got the key in the confirmation email. Not that it was labled as the CD key.

I found the whole proccess to be trouble free.

Quote Originally Posted by esperlad
    They also promised that GS3 would work with windows 2000, not for me. It looks like I have to buy XP, and I am not happy about that...
    Product Specifications can ALWAYS change before a product is released.

The website states "Windows XP SP1", as does the outside of the GS3 box, and the GS3 manual.
    http://www.tascamgiga.com/GigaStudio3FAQs.php

Also, in the manual there are these statements (page 13):

• GigaStudio 3.0 Orchestra, Ensemble, or Solo is NOT recommend for installation on systems running Windows 2000, Server 2000, 98, ME, NT, 95, or 3.1.

• While GigaStudio 3.0 may run on Windows 2000, only Windows XP with SP1 has been fully tested and approved by Tascam.
    Regarding getting it to run on Win 2000, can you launch the "GigaStudio Configuration Manager"? This has some debugging flags you can set. Also, make sure GIGA is not crashing on your VSTs. In the Rewire/Plugins tab, I had to force GIGA to crash about 25 times before it got through all of my VSTs (I am running on Win XP Pro).

Quote Originally Posted by Bill
    > CD-key number that should have been given

How did you order? I got the key in the confirmation email. Not that it was labled as the CD key.

I found the whole proccess to be trouble free.
    Bill,

we upgraded from GS160- to GS3Orch. via telephone.
    that is odd if they sent you a email with the cd-key, when they have all of our stats avail, nothing has changes since we purchsed gigasampler from that little grass-roots company called Nemesys.

douglas

I got the key from Tom (the same guy who took my upgrade order) over the phone without fuss. It also arrived stuck to the invoice a few days after the software came.

The probem I have is that I too, got screwed over the ten days. If you clean the system during testing (as they ask you to do) you lose the 10 day upgrade period.

Further, their registration server is the biggest piece of drek I've ever encountered. It has poor error checking on fields and other annoyances that essentially leaves it thumbing it's nose at you nine times out of ten. Further...if you end up changing the configuration (again at TASCAM supports request) it changes what ever they seed the registration key with...then the blasted
    server stops issuing you authorizations and I've been waiting for days for it to be reset.

Hey TASCAM if you're going to keep me on hold for freaking hours, get an 800 number.

Cool Re: TASCAM Get REAL!

"I got the key from Tom (the same guy who took my upgrade order) over the phone without fuss."

Hey, I know Tom. He seems like a very nice guy, but I'm not too sure he's been given a reliable system to work with. I placed my order with him on Sept 9. He said it would go out that day or maybe the next. On Sept 15 I called back (and got Thomas again) to say that my card had not been charged, and to ask if everything was OK. Yes, everything's OK, it's going out today. Hmm. Now it's the 16th and my card still hasn't been charged. Call back and be a pest, or wait another day or two (through the weekend)? Double hmm.

All this is not to mention the problems I had trying to upgrade on-line. The system was convinced that I had bought GS160 overseas (I bought it in the US, I just lived overseas when I bought it and registered from my European address). I exchanged a couple of e-mail messages, and the TASCAM people said that their records were now updated, please try again. So I did, and got the message that I couldn't upgrade because my copy was bought overseas!

I don't criticize the individuals involved. I'm sure they're great. I'm in business myself, and I know that 85% of problems arise from bad management systems. But TASCAM needs to fix these problems. I've ordered direct from vendors many times (Cakewalk, Sonic Foundry) without anything like this amount of trouble.

I got windows XP pro, and got it installed. GS 3.0 installed without reporting any errors. I tried to start the main part of the program and it still froze. I can start the other parts. Anyone know what I can do to fix this?

Go Back to forum