• Register
  • Help

Topic: RARE Low Irish Whistle Question

Share/Bookmark

RARE Low Irish Whistle Question

Just got RARE today, which is terrific.

Now the but....

The "Low Irish Whistle" is mainly what I got it for, since I'm doing some cover work that involves a song by Charlotte Church called "Carrickfergus" that has this sound in it. Problem is, the melodic figure her song plays goes higher (by a few notes) than the one in RARE. Is there also an "Irish Whistle" as opposed to an Irish LOW Whistle that has this range, or was the range of this RARE whistle just not sampled as high as they can play?

Don't suppose any kind souls out there would offer a quick tutorial on how to extend the range in GIGA....???

Thanks for any info...

Tom

Re: RARE Low Irish Whistle Question

Quote Originally Posted by tomhartman
    Is there also an "Irish Whistle" as opposed to an Irish LOW Whistle that has this range, or was the range of this RARE whistle just not sampled as high as they can play?

Tom
    Perhaps "Irish Low Whistle" doesnt have that range.

You should be able to extend the range, through pitch stretching the notes, but play it too far and it it will sound wrong.

Ed
    Me - Out of Context:
    http://www.livejournal.com/users/_ed_/

Hey Tom,

Just load up the .gig file in the Giga Editor, and go to each sample you want to modify, and click & drag the right edge of the rightmost key on the visual keyboard to extend its range up however much you want. Keep in mind, of course, that going too high will result in a nasty "pitch bend" effect. But a few extra notes higher shouldn't affect realism too much.

Hey thanks, that's just what I did....all I needed was a couple of steps higher...didn't know it was that easy...

Thanks!

TH (who will evenutally get smart and buy the video tutorial re the Giga Editor)

I happen to have some Irish low whistles here at home. They come in different tunings, so the reason you couldn't get original notes at that pitch was that QL probably sampled a lower version than used in that song.

Go Back to forum