• Help
Page 1 of 10 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: Nice going, Red-ink Republicans

Share/Bookmark
    Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Nice going, Red-ink Republicans

sponsored links

***Advertisments***
    Turns out a comparison of government spending proposed by Bush and Kerry plays out interestingly (as in predictably) over ten years.

Kerry: Two Trillion
    Bush: THREE Trillion

I really don't want to hear the phrase "tax and spend" Democrat from you guys, until you explain how Red Ink Republicans are doing us any favors.

Re: Nice going, Red-ink Republicans

How 'bout "tax and spend Democrat" versus "spend and spend Republican"?

Like I said,

1. Death by hanging.
    2. Death by firing squad.
    - Layne

1. Box of poop
    2. Bag of poop

Quote Originally Posted by XanaX
    1. Box of poop
    2. Bag of poop
    LOL.

At least you can have some fun with bag of poop. You know the old trick where you put it on the front porch of someone you dislike and set it on fire and ring the door bell. Then the homeowner comes out and tries to stamp it out.

Actually, a less hazardous thing would be to put the candidates faces on the bag. Bush if the guy's a Democrat or Kerry if he's a Republican...

OK it's lame, but I haven't had my second cup of coffee yet.
    - Layne

Exactly what comparison is that?

Sure I could point to the deficits created by Reagan and Bush, Sr. I could point to the surplus at the end of the Clinton administration. I could point to the deficits created by Bush, Jr.

...And the Clinton-haters would try to explain it all away, saying that Clinton was lucky, and poor little Bush was unlucky and Clinton was bad and Bush is good. Presidents don't really control budget deficits, you know. Anything to justify the cartoon constructions duct taped together in the Bush-lovers heads.

So, I won't bring that up.

Now, let's look at the bottom line:

Bush is selling you a THREE TRILLION DOLLAR BAG OF POOP.
    Kerry's bag of poop is ONE TRILLION DOLLARS CHEAPER.

We will get stuck with one bag or the other. There is no third choice.

Pick one.

-JF

Latest deficit numbers oscillate around 450~500 billion, rate of *increase* is DOWN from 2003, when the deficit stood at $375 billion but was projected to grow higher than it is now.

Kerry's spending proposal number is actually a bit lower, closer to 1.7 trillion.

And government spending in the final year of the Clinton administration was $1.864 trillion.

We gotta go with is on the board NOW. *I*,*you*,Bush, Senator Clinton, could propose anything, doesn't mean it'll pass.

One point I do agree with; it's all waaaaaay too much. Here's aquestion: since you're concerned about the spending and all what's the first thing YOU would propose be cut?

And that's if you consider it a bag of poop, which is far from the truth.

For one-trillion dollars less, Kerry's programs pay off in better access to healthcare for uninsured (and therefore, less costs passed on to public hospitals and safety net programs). Kerry's programs also center on preventative care...something the private-sector medical industry will never take on for itself, since it runs retrograde to profitability.

The issue still remains...Kerry is an intellectually more capable person. When you throw in the added benefit that his programs are actually more ambitious AND cheaper, it becomes a deal that even the most confirmed capitalist must seriously consider.

If there's no other point to be taken from the ongoing clarifications of purpose beginning to emerge, it is that these two candidates ARE very different, and that Kerry is a higher quality choice.

I'll take a Balanced Budget Democrat over a Red Ink Republican.

Quote Originally Posted by Brady Wright
    How 'bout "tax and spend Democrat" versus "spend and spend Republican"?
    Hey, I'll actually take that bait.

I'll take the Democrat. I'd daresay if the Republicans would stop their damned spending and spending, I'd be more supportive of them. And perhaps Democrats would "tax" less if Republicans didn't consistently bankrupt the treasury then leave the mess for someone else to fix.

Ultimately, I don't think "progressive" is the sole property of one party or the other. I don't think "conservative" is a dirty word. I don't even think they're mutually exclusive terms. I would love to see a progressive conservative rise to political power. Unfortunately, that cannot happen in today's Republican Party. What I dislike profoundly is that the Republican Party speaks conservatism out of one side of its mouth, but in action, spends much more money than a Democratic leadership does, and on programs which are ultimately not progressive for our country.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 10 1234 ... LastLast