• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: 5.4% Unemp. in '96 is GREAT, yet in '04 it's bad?!?!?

Share/Bookmark

Question 5.4% Unemp. in '96 is GREAT, yet in '04 it's bad?!?!?

sponsored links

***Advertisments***
    The year(s) 1995 through 1996 - the left GUSHED about the 5.4% unemployment rate.

Now it's 2004 and EXACTLY THE SAME 5.4% RATE!

** REPEAT 5.4% = 5.4% **

Somehow the current 5.4% is evil or bad yet IT'S THE SAME EXACT PERCENT of unemployed during the mid NARCISSISTIC NINETIES!

You make not like these facts but FOR SURE you can NOT change them.

5.4% will always equal 5.4%

Re: 5.4% Unemp. in '96 is GREAT, yet in '04 it's bad?!?!?

In the words of Homer Simpson...

"It's funny because it's true."

Regards,
    Brian W. Ralston

Check out my new FREE iPhone App! Click Here!

I recently saw an ad by the DNC (might have been the Media Fund...same thing) where a lady was complaining that her husband got his degree in computer programing but has not been able to find a job in three years. I'm sorry, but that's not a slam against Bush, that's a slam against your husband, lady. If he can't find a job in three years then something is wrong with him or he doesn't understand the entry-level reality of corporate America.

Here in the Portland area the tech sector is severely depressed. I know people who were laid off through no fault of their own and have been unemployed or underemployed for an extended period. Some of this is due to their personal choices - like staying in the area near family. It's also due to a dearth of tech jobs here.

In '96 I was able to find a great job out of many, many choices. I had decided to make a change, and within a couple of months my wish came true. If I got a pink slip today, I'm afraid that my savings might be wiped out before I found a comparable job - that is, If I could find one. I've never been as pessimistic about the job market as I am right now.

If one only looks at the 5.4% number, does that make the economy good? It might make the simple-minded feel better about Bush. But my personal economic prospects were at their peak in the late '90s. They are at their nadir today.

The bottom line: have things been heading in the right direction? Hell no.

-JF

Quote Originally Posted by JonFairhurst
    Here in the Portland area the tech sector is severely depressed. I know people who were laid off through no fault of their own and have been unemployed or underemployed for an extended period. Some of this is due to their personal choices - like staying in the area near family. It's also due to a dearth of tech jobs here.

In '96 I was able to find a great job out of many, many choices. I had decided to make a change, and within a couple of months my wish came true. If I got a pink slip today, I'm afraid that my savings might be wiped out before I found a comparable job - that is, If I could find one. I've never been as pessimistic about the job market as I am right now.

If one only looks at the 5.4% number, does that make the economy good? It might make the simple-minded feel better about Bush. But my personal economic prospects were at their peak in the late '90s. They are at their nadir today.

The bottom line: have things been heading in the right direction? Hell no.

-JF
    Jon,

The tech sector was bound for a bust irrespective of who won in 2000, In fact, the "dot-com bust" started in 1998. You also mentioned an interesting point of how some people do not want to leave their family, community, whatever. I can understand this, but if the job market is weak, one must consider relocating to a better market. Staying put in a bad market and blaming the President seems irrational to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Think_About_It
    The year(s) 1995 through 1996 - the left GUSHED about the 5.4% unemployment rate.

I agree.

The democrats can be just as misleading as the republicans.

Wink Re: 5.4% Unemp. in '96 is GREAT, yet in '04 it's bad?!?!?

Quote Originally Posted by Ernstinen
    Yea, but that's because a lot of people have just given up looking.

MAAAaaaaaannnn!!!!! I was hoping someone would say that. DNC talking points - much like "Tax cuts for the Rich".

Here's what I say to that: And they STOPPED looking in the nineties?!?!?!?

You're all so right. It's *great* that 5% of the country is unemployed and that the average pay rate has gone down $1500 per year for a family, that over 12% of the country is now below the poverty line, that 5.8 million more people are without health insurance than they were before Bush (total 45 million)...happy days are here again. Let's vote for Bush and spend more money on Haliburton.

Quote Originally Posted by Think_About_It

** REPEAT 5.4% = 5.4% **

Somehow the current 5.4% is evil or bad yet IT'S THE SAME EXACT PERCENT of unemployed during the mid NARCISSISTIC NINETIES!

You make not like these facts but FOR SURE you can NOT change them.

5.4% will always equal 5.4%
    It was an accurate figure in the nineties. Most people actually WERE working. The current statistics don't take into account the countless numbers of people who have run out of unemployment benefits after searching high and low for work and not finding it. They're off the books. Experts estimate the true number could be twice the official number.

Cool Re: 5.4% Unemp. in '96 is GREAT, yet in '04 it's bad?!?!?

Then why don't the experts list *that*?

Again 5.4% = 5.4% PERIOD.

Here's one:

Some "other experts" believe the unemployment rates of the nineties to be NINE times higher than listed.

Sheeeesh

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast