• Register
  • Help

Topic: Are GPO/Kontakt written for dual processor Macs?

Share/Bookmark

Are GPO/Kontakt written for dual processor Macs?

Are GPO/Kontakt written for the dual processor Macs?

And if not, will they be in the future?

The underlying reason for my question is that I'm thinking of buying a new computer, and my understanding from the guys at Apple is that if a software isn't specifically written to take advantage of the dual processor architecture then a single will serve just as well(e.g. the new iMac G5's that are due out soon.)

Thanks

Re: Are GPO/Kontakt written for dual processor Macs?

Quote Originally Posted by pgurnee
    Are GPO/Kontakt written for the dual processor Macs?

Thanks
    The short answer is Yes.

Karl

The new iMacs are REALLY cool - I'd love one myself. But if you're gonna be any type of power user, go for the dual...I think you'll be really glad you did.

[QUOTE=Karl Garrett]The short answer is Yes.

Karl - Is that 'yes' to question #1 or #2?

It's not that I don't believe you guys, honestly. But to be clear: is the software in GPO written to take advantage of dual processor architecture? One reason I'm asking is that the guys at Apple also said that not many softwares have actually done this yet.

In other words all else being equal, will GPO run differently on single vs dual computers plugged in side-by-side?

It would also be interesting to know just what this means in terms of how the whole process works and what the advantage gained is in terms of latency etc.

Not that I'm overly enthused about learning the tech side of things, but I would like to have a basic understanding of what happens in the process - between softwares not written for dual processor and those that are.

Thanks again

PGurnee

[QUOTE=pgurnee]
    Quote Originally Posted by Karl Garrett
    The short answer is Yes.
    The slightly longer answer is that under OS X, dual-processor support is automatic...it happens at the system level and individual software does not need to be written any special way to support dual processors, in order to take advantage of them.

This was NOT the case under OS 9, which is probably the source of the confusion. Only certain applications had multiprocessor support in OS9.

This also gets confused sometimes with Altivec support, which is included in the Kontakt product family.

Thanks bmonroney -

I was at the Apple store asking about this again as I'm still trying to sort out the choice between single and dual processor machine - they showed me how when you exceed 100% of one processor's capacity the work automatically spills over onto the second processor.

They did say that softwares can be optimized so that specific functions are delegated to either processor, making things work more efficiently. This is the question I'm after, as it would affect my decision - if Kontakt is or were to be optimized in this way it would seem to be a definite advantage to have a dual.

As things are at present it seems like a single processor maxed out with ram is enough.

By the way, what is Altivec support?

Thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by pgurnee
    They did say that softwares can be optimized so that specific functions are delegated to either processor, making things work more efficiently. This is the question I'm after, as it would affect my decision - if Kontakt is or were to be optimized in this way it would seem to be a definite advantage to have a dual.

By the way, what is Altivec support?
    I may be wrong, but it is my understanding that Mac OS X handles the Symmetrical Multiprocessing in an OS layer so that ANY Carbon or Cocoa application can take advantage of it...only old applications running in Classic will miss out on dual CPU support. Indeed on my dual G4, if I open Activity Viewer I can see that both CPUs are active all the time, not just when one 'fills up'. Dual G5s are faster than singles at the same clock rate, period, regardless of application...it's just a matter of how much speed you need. With GPO/Kontakt, the fastest CPU and most RAM you can afford will pay off in more voices, more power left over to run audio plugins or other virtual instruments.

Altivec, or "Velocity Engine" is essentially a specialized DSP core built into the G4 and G5 processors....I think Altivec is Motorola's tradmark, so IBM's G5 refers to Velocity Engine... It is similar to SSE on Intel chips, a vector processor for speeding up certain kinds of calculations. Software must be written to take advantage of it, which Kontakt is...both SSE on Wintel and Altivec on the Mac.

Go check out www.barefeats.com for interesting speed comparisons of mac hardware.

bmonroney, Excellent explanation. It sure is great having you around.

Karl

Thanks, Karl...very kind of you.

Go Back to forum