• Register
  • Help

Topic: My local news paper article says we should

Share/Bookmark

Question My local news paper article says we should

Download Service Pack II. Didn't we have a discussion of this before?
    Styxx

Lightbulb Re: My local news paper article says we should

My instinct says `If it ain't broke, don't fix it'.

I have heard conflicting reports from both non audio users and audio users and audio companies. I cannot think of a single reason to add SP2 at this point, maybe down the road once the service pack gets some fix packs...

-Kevin
    We are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams …
    24" 2.4 Ghz iMac, OSX 10.4.10, MOTU 828 MKII, 2 Glyph 250 Gig external drives, Logic 9, Finale 2008 GPO, JABB, Strad, Gro, Reason 4, EWQL Storm Drum, Adrenaline, Symphonic Choirs, SO Gold,All Arturia Synths, Many NI Synths, Spectrasonics Synths, KH Strings, VEPro on a Windows 7 4x 2.8 Ghz 12 gig of RAM

Re: My local news paper article says we should

I installed SP2 when it was first released and it basically crashed my computer. Luckily, I had made a restore point before I installed it.

When I tried to open my sequencer, I kept getting error messages saying that the VST and DXI plugins were not valid and to reinstall them.

I then reverted back to my saved setting and everything was hunky-dory!! I don't know what the problem was.

Just my two sense.

Jonny
    For more information, check out www.jonathoncox.com/intro.html

"The trouble with music appreciation in general is that people are taught to have too much respect for music they should be taught to love it instead." - Igor Stravinsky

Quote Originally Posted by LFO
    My instinct says `If it ain't broke, don't fix it'.
    or
    if it ain't broke, fix it till it is

Hmmm. I've had the service pack installed for more than a week without issue. It amazes me that PC's can be so different, thus you can have so many different outcomes with various models/configurations. I guess that is the advantage to Mac's where the design architecture is uniform.

Wink Re: My local news paper article says we should

...and mainframes! The variety is exactly why I have the `If it ain't broke' mentality.

Of course, my wife would correct me and say that I am just mental.

-Kevin
    We are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams …
    24" 2.4 Ghz iMac, OSX 10.4.10, MOTU 828 MKII, 2 Glyph 250 Gig external drives, Logic 9, Finale 2008 GPO, JABB, Strad, Gro, Reason 4, EWQL Storm Drum, Adrenaline, Symphonic Choirs, SO Gold,All Arturia Synths, Many NI Synths, Spectrasonics Synths, KH Strings, VEPro on a Windows 7 4x 2.8 Ghz 12 gig of RAM

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Burrell
    Hmmm. I've had the service pack installed for more than a week without issue. It amazes me that PC's can be so different, thus you can have so many different outcomes with various models/configurations. I guess that is the advantage to Mac's where the design architecture is uniform.

Well, I have had the SP installed for over a week, no problems yet. But before installing, I obtained the CD from Microsoft (arrived in 4 days). I also did some updates specific to my computer brand (HP). I had very recently updated sound card drivers and graphics drivers. SP 2 installed easily. The final clincher for me was an email from Carnegie Mellon Instiute, which strongly recommended it as a security measure.

I'm gonna have to install SP2 this weekend....along with Windows XP and all of my programs. That'll teach me for accidently making my system drive the E drive.... It's not a huge deal actually, just a minor annoyance, but since my computer is starting to freeze up for no reason what so ever, I figure it's a good time to just clear everything off of the main drive. I'll let you guys know how well SP2 works with my audio and non-audio programs after I check it out.
    Tim

Go Back to forum