• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: how do you use the reverb and how do you mix?

Share/Bookmark

how do you use the reverb and how do you mix?

i wonder how you use the reverb with GPO.

i see two possible way of operating:

1) you assign every instrument to its separate ASIO ouput (ex. violin on ASIO 1, celli on ASIO 2, etc), and create a single audio track for every instrument. in this case case you can use the reverb on a aux channel and decide how much reverbered should be the single track.

2) you simply put a reverb on the main output of GPO and all the intruments of that instance are processed equally by that single reverb (with no control of the amount of reverberated signal on a particular instrument) - of course in this case i'm speaking about a single GPO instance. with two or more instances you should use aux send...

for now i have always used 1), but i see 2) is much more simpler. i wonder if it is a realistic and correct way of operating... (certaily it's easier!)

this two way of working also raises to me a question about mixing:

in the case 1) you have full and easy control of the volume of each separate track in your mixer.

in the case 2) you either mix "inside" GPO, by changing the track volume in the single GPO slot, or you use the expression (CC1) to get the "right" dynamic of a single instrument in a particular passage.

related to this topic, i wonder also if the volume of the single GPO instruments are setted in such a way the single instrument reflects the real dynamic and volume of that instrument in the real orchestra... in that case, you should just use CC1 for mixing....

Re: how do you use the reverb and how do you mix?

Quote Originally Posted by bosone
    i wonder how you use the reverb with GPO...
    Buon giorno, Sr Bosone:

I'm using SONAR and submix busses. I'm guessing other apps work the same, more or less.

I route each GPO instance to 1 or more stereo audio tracks, depending on the instruments in the instance. For example, I can route both Violin I and II to the same output, but like to send Celli on their own.

I apply eq as necessary to each of these audio tracks.

I route each of the audio output tracks to both:

1. A dry main mix.
    2. A reverb submix which is then routed to the main mix.

I can then control separately and independently the amount of send of each instrument audio track to both the reverb submix and the dry main mix. I can also control the overall amount of send from the reverb submix to the main.

I've also begun experimenting with adding a very small amount of reverb to each instrument audio track (as necessary) to get a more realistic small room ambience. Then, I use the reverb submix that I described above to create an overall large room effect. Not sure yet whether it's worth it.

...and, I usually don't mess with the volumes in the player, only on the audio output tracks in SONAR. I use CC01 and note velocity for all volume/expression dynamics.

...and I thoroughly enjoyed your "worst demo".
    Bill

I too use Sonar and put my effects on dedicated busses. If you're using GPO Studio, I don't think there's a way to do anything like this.

The simplist arrangement I might use for full orchestra might have four instances of GPO VST:
    1. WWs
    2. Brass
    3. Percussion
    4. Strings

For general mixing levels between groupings, I use volume and trim on the GPO plug-in tracks. For specific mixing within groupings, I use MIDI volume on the MIDI track.

I set up a reverb bus, pop in one of several different reverb plugins, and set it to 100% wet mix. I assign a bus send from each GPO instance to the reverb bus, and set the send levels carefully to taste.

I also always use a bus I call "Main" to be the only direct output to my soundcard. The GPO outputs and the reverb bus output are all set to the Main bus. The only exception is if I have an imported audio track from a video I'm working on, I'll just have that track direct to the soundcard, so I can adjust my overall mix vs. existing audio easily for a rough cut.

This is a very flexible setup, and allows me to easily set the balance at the instrument, group, or ensemble level. It also allows me a good amount of control over the reverb amount for different instrument types, while only using one reverb plug-in.
    - Jamie Kowalski

All Hands Music - Kowalski on the web
    The Ear Is Always Correct - Writings on composition

My scenarios are thus:

Cubase VST: I render each track separately after I am satisfied with the overall sound (I usually audition the sound using one reverb for all instances of GPO.) Each track is rendered dry, but panned. I then bring the audio files into Samplitude for mixing. I add the reverb and then any other effects as need in Samplitude on a track by track basis using auxiliary busses. Then I render the whole to one track.

GPO Studio: All audio is routed through the same reverb processing and the audio file captured is then mixed to the best of my ability in Samplitude.

Bidule scenario 1: Same as for Studio

Bidule scenario 2: Route each instrument or instrument group to a separate audio file capturing instance (using an audible marking in the audio to mark the track start for each). Bring the tracks into Samplitude and align using the audible marking in the audio file. Then I apply reverb, compression, eq’ing, to each track independently based on need. I then render all the individual tracks as a whole. I hope to see a trigger in Bidule some day that automates the recording process like the Capture to Wav feature in Gigastudio.

That’s how I do it anyway.

I do the same basic thing as Skysaw. Add more reverb to the woodwinds and brass than the strings as they sit back further on the stage. Add even more to the percussion.

I also use Sonar with basically the same method as bilp & skysaw.

This all raises one more question: I use the same reverb pre-sets e.g. conert hall 1 for all of the tracks most of the time. Only guitars will get a different reverb setting. Does everybody here do the same thing - or do you sometimes use different pre-sets (eg. small room on winds and hall on strings)?

Quote Originally Posted by Haydn
    Add more reverb to the woodwinds and brass than the strings as they sit back further on the stage. Add even more to the percussion.
    This is an excellent idea..thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Haydn
    I do the same basic thing as Skysaw...
    as I do also (above) except for one thing:

midi volume/pan and enabling the CC7/CC10:

I used to do this until, in an earlier thread, I was advised not to do so. The primary reason given was that the sections were stereo samples that should not be panned, while the solo instruments were mono and could be panned.

The volume levels are another issue. They are apparently set so that when playing the full orchestra, the overall level will not exceed 0dB, although I found I needed to adjust some of them anyway.

Since the player has one global setting for both CC7/CC10, enabling the volume also enables the pan.

So, do you all turn on CC7/CC10 and carefully avoid touching the midi pan on sections?...or...what?
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Sepheritoh
    I use the same reverb pre-sets e.g. conert hall 1 for all of the tracks most of the time. Only guitars will get a different reverb setting. Does everybody here do the same thing - or do you sometimes use different pre-sets (eg. small room on winds and hall on strings)?
    I vary it, based mostly on the size of the ensemble, and on the style of the music.
    - Jamie Kowalski

All Hands Music - Kowalski on the web
    The Ear Is Always Correct - Writings on composition

Quote Originally Posted by billp
    So, do you all turn on CC7/CC10 ?
    Yes, I do.
    Quote Originally Posted by billp
    and carefully avoid touching the midi pan on sections?...or...what?
    IMO, original GPO pan settings are too wide. It's like listener sits in a first row. To avoid that, I initialize all panning in Kontakt player, insert Wave's S1 Imager on all DXi tracks to narrow stereo image, then set panning by S1.
    sfiks

Thanks, sfiks. A friend and musical collaborator heard one of my GPO pieces and had exactly that comment: stereo to discrete.

initialize all panning in Kontakt player
    Does "initialize" = "center" or GPO default?
    Bill

Go Back to forum