• Register
  • Help

Topic: GS3 is Crashing my PC :(

Share/Bookmark

Unhappy GS3 is Crashing my PC :(

Hey all, here's a good one for ya...

Ok, I just installed GS3 (first time ever using GS) and installation went without a hitch. Until I get a GSIF card (about 3 weeks -- gotta get paid) I am just planning on using GS3 as a ReWire application through Cubasis 5.1, which is listed as a viable master app. I try to run GS to get it open, and there's an error, of course -- no GSIF card, will have to run solely in ReWire. No problem with me, so I click OK. I get to the configuration window, double check everything, then hit OK. It tells me again that I don't have GSIF, I hit OK, and then BANG. My computer immediately reboots. OK, I tell myself, I will just have to try going straight to the rewire in Cubasis. Run cubasis - I watch it loading all of my modules, then it gets to the GS module, and BANG. My computer reboots again. I figure it probably has something to do with my card (E-MU 0404 PCI) but I thought using reWire would allow me to at least use some functionality of GS until my new card comes. Someone help me out, please!!!

Re: GS3 is Crashing my PC :(

I would guess that very little testing was done by anyone without a GSIF sound card.

Have you tried pulling the E-Mu card, just to see what happens?

Using the Windows Start Menu, navigate to the "GigaStudio 3" Start Menu folder. Launch the "GigaStudio Configuration Manager".

What is displayed in the Hardware Tab under Hardware Adapter?

I would suggest a call to Tascam Tech Support. I assume they will probably have you use the "Troubleshooting" Tab with its "logging" feature.

When I go to the Configuration screen, the Hardware tab shows me a window with everything in it disabled (unable to type anything anywhere, buttons are disabled, etc) and it says that it is in ReWire mode, that Hardware tab is only for standalone mode. I hope this helps. I will try calling the techies to see what they think.

I have been running GST3 without any audiocard and it works flawless (although limited to ReWire).
    The fact that GST3 causes a reboot suggests you have a serious hardware error. Could be memory but more likely the videocard, built-in audio chip, all kinds of USB/network devices or all of their related drivers.
    Definitly take the Emu card out and see if you can launch Giga without that card. You should try to boot without the Emu drivers (make a new hardware profile where the Emu drivers are removed in the hardwar config). If both card and drivers are removed and GST still crashes you can search for other causes...
    Best regards,
    Michiel Post

So I am insolent...

For future reference, on the orange sheet that comes with GS3 (at least my Ensemble version) one of the known issues is using Hyper-Threading technology, which Chris at TASCAM tells me is a serious issue, and their top priority right now. I was able to turn off my HT but some mobos don't allow it. So lucky me. If you hear of freezes/crashes, first question to ask them is what kind of processor. ReWire works fine through my E-MU card, though the latency is going to get to me pretty quickly .

Thanks all.

Quote Originally Posted by mobaar
    ...For future reference, on the orange sheet that comes with GS3 (at least my Ensemble version) one of the known issues is using Hyper-Threading technology, which Chris at TASCAM tells me is a serious issue, and their top priority right now...
    Yep...same problem...I thought it was a rewire issue and it turns out I didn't disable HT.

Turns out that's one of my problems too. Never even know i HAD hyperthreading -- but I sure have had crashes. Keep working, Tascam...

So for when I do get GS3, how does one go about disabling HT?

Thanks.
    What we record in life, echoes in eternity.

Mine was accessible through the power on setup, press DEL key during boot -- then it is in the hardware options, cpu options I think.

Go Back to forum