• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: Getting "Warm" Mixes

Share/Bookmark

Getting "Warm" Mixes

Ok, so I was reading another topic that was similar to this but not quite. My compositions usually go through three steps (SONAR 2 - Giga - Adobe Audition). Once in audition I usually mess around with the sound quite a bit (Waves IR1 and the Diamond bundle are about all I use) but for some reason my recordings still sound very "cold", which is NOT what I want. Does anyone have any tips or tricks that I can use for getting a nice warm sound out of them? Should I get something else besides Audition (if so, that program would have to be Windows 98SE compatible because I am still a little edgy about switching to Giga 3)? Maybe I just need to mess with the EQ more? Any help would be AWESOME!

Thanks,
    James W.G. Smith

(By the way, I am getting a MASSIVE amount of hiss on my tracks after I pre-eq, reverb, and mix them together. Anyone else have this problem with Audition?)

Re: Getting "Warm" Mixes

I suspect some may use the PSP Vintage Warmer for that
    type of thing.

BUT< I really like the PSP Mix Saturator. It has this "Bass Warmth"
    control, wich you can dial in some really sweet warm low mids.

It also has a treble control that lets you dial out some harshness,
    but with out takeing away sparkle.

VIntage Warmer does these things, but i like the sound of
    the Mix Saturator better. ITs a preference thing.
    VW has more overall control. I'm thinking the PSP stuff
    runs in 98. I'm pretty sure it does.

Good luck, and may your mixes be warm but not too fuzzy.

TK

James,

Why not post a snippit of one of your mixes?
    I'm sure you'll get much more specific advice once the 'golden ears' hear what you mean by cold.

When you say your pieces go through three stages - do you mean you actually render/export audio from Sonar into Giga and then into Audition?

I doubt that Audition is the actual reason you're getting hiss.
    It's more likely being introduced earlier in the chain - maybe even before Sonar, and your eq is just 'enhancing' it.

Cheers
    Rick

The only real way to get real "warmth" is to record in analog or at least mixdown to tape or both. Software emulations are just not up to snuff.

"We recorded the shows on tape, but, for the repairs, we jumped over to Pro Tools, and then we went back to tape for the mixes. I think if you start off with tape and mix to tape, it adds a certain warmth that gets lost in digital".
    David Gilmour
    Interviewed by Darrin Fox, Guitar Player, January 2003.

"One way to help add real analog punch to your software electric piano, organ or even synthesizer is with an instrument preamp. Speakeasy Vintage Music (www.speakeasyvintagemusic.com) makes a line of tube preamps intended to provide some real warmth and fullness to any signal, but particularly for both real and virtual keyboards".

John McJunkin
    www.mixonline.com
    Mauricio Franco Martínez
    email: maufranco(at)gmail.com
    cel: 300 801 5987
    Cartagena, Colombia.

I can second the vote for the PSP Mix Saturator. They have a demo of it available on their site, too. Well worth trying.

If you want true warmth you're gonna have to go through some 'real' analogue gear.

But you could use other tools (listed).

I agree, post the mix in question, James.

But I think a certain amount of hiss adds to the realism, I add it where applicable.

KID-

Here's what gets my vote:
    iZotope's Ozone (mixing) and Trash (distortion, mic, and cabinet emulation)
    Just about any other Voxengo tool that has analog emulation

My opinion is that anyone that doesn't think anything sounds as good as the hardware/analog original is having a bit of hindsight bias. There's something to "not getting the same feel" from playing a Marshall stack as with playing an emulation - but that stems from not being able to feel your body resonate as your eardrums bleed while the lights dim in the room from hitting a power chord.

I'll take digital emulations of analog over the prospect of cleaning and over-biasing a tape deck any day...
    Houston Haynes - Titan Line Music

Quote Originally Posted by Houston Haynes
    Here's what gets my vote:
    iZotope's Ozone (mixing) and Trash (distortion, mic, and cabinet emulation)
    Just about any other Voxengo tool that has analog emulation

My opinion is that anyone that doesn't think anything sounds as good as the hardware/analog original is having a bit of hindsight bias. There's something to "not getting the same feel" from playing a Marshall stack as with playing an emulation - but that stems from not being able to feel your body resonate as your eardrums bleed while the lights dim in the room from hitting a power chord.

I'll take digital emulations of analog over the prospect of cleaning and over-biasing a tape deck any day...

Sorry but you are totally wrong and are definitely not a guitarist. There is no comparison between a real amp and a software emulation, and that is not chalked up to some silly vibration as you suggest. That same could be said for any analog/tape to digital comparisons. That is not to say digital doesn't sound good but only that they are different.

I think you should buy samples that have a warm sound on itself. A bit of digital processing shouldn't degrade the sound too much.
    I'm not gonna buy high end preamps and a/d converters because the folks who recorded the samples didn't do so.

Go Back to forum