• Register
  • Help

Topic: Sibelius Scorch and GPO

Share/Bookmark

Exclamation Sibelius Scorch and GPO

I was thinking . (Scary, but read on). To my knowledge, at this point in time, Sibelius Scorch only allows you to select 1 midi output device. Now, GPO Studio has multiple inputs, so, unless the score we wish to play only uses enough instruments to fill one instance of GPO, we are SOL. So, one of two things has to happen:

1) Scorch must be updated to allow multiple outputs (as well as midi channel distribution)

Or:

2) GPO studio has to be changed to allow one input to drive all instances as well as midi channel distribution (This would be a little nuts and difficult to implement).

SO

Until someone does #1, there might be a temporary solution. Most users seem to use Sonar and I can fix that up. Others can implement this with Cubase etc. All one has to do is have a virtual midi router and select this as the output in Scorch. Then select the corresponding virtual midi input in Sonar (or whatever). If a template is made in our sequencers that corresponds to Sibelius.com’s instrument assignments, we can play back at least 16 midi channels worth of instruments (for now, instead of GPO Studio). It’s not a big improvement really, as it only doubles the amount of stuff we can play back, so it might not be worth it. Unless I am forgetting something, Option 1 should be explored by asking Sibelius to update Scorch to allow these changes (and agree on a standard instrument patch assignement). Any interest? ideas? Criticisms, corrections? (It's late and my brain is cooked)

"So what if some parts of life are a crap shoot? Get out there and shoot the crap." -- Neil Peart
    Hint:1.6180339887498948482 Φ

Re: Sibelius Scorch and GPO

Or you can use something like Maple Midi and Bidule and get your 16 instruments. 2 instances of GPO Player for each virtual midi cable.

Do they allow 32 channels per route? We have only one output we can select in Scorch, and unless the router allows more than 16 channels, then that is the limmit. No?
    "So what if some parts of life are a crap shoot? Get out there and shoot the crap." -- Neil Peart

Lost me. You end up with 16 midi channels per virtual cable, thus 2 instances of GPO.

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Burrell
    Lost me. You end up with 16 midi channels per virtual cable, thus 2 instances of GPO.
    Right. but you can only run one cable.

Yeah, from Scorch you'd only get 16 instruments.

And, in fact, 16 channels must be the limit of Scorch since you can only select one output. At least this would give you the current limit.

Go Back to forum