• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: How many minutes of music can you compose per day?

Share/Bookmark

How many minutes of music can you compose per day?

I am asking because I'm working on some score. I did about 7 minutes full orchestration in GPO today and feel a bit poofed after a full day's work. The full score requires about 10 minutes, plus title themes. (Now I'm taking a break and read all the forums a can find).

I have read in some places that profesional composers do about 3 minutes of music on a day when working on a movie score. Does that 3 minutes include full orchestration? Is extra time allowed if you have to have to program expression and different articulations?

How much do you do?

Re: How many minutes of music can you compose per day?

Zilch, nada, ZERO. That's terrible isn't it. Unless you count the examples that I make for the tutorials. That's gotta count for something right?

Those examples count double 'cause they make many others be more productive!

I do about 80-100 minutes a year -- that averages about 15 seconds a day, including orchestration, notation, preparation for publication, registering for copyrights, promotion, forum browsing, etc. Full time professional composer, not in the film biz however.

Quote Originally Posted by Sepheritoh
    I am asking because I'm working on some score. I did about 7 minutes full orchestration in GPO today and feel a bit poofed after a full day's work. The full score requires about 10 minutes, plus title themes. (Now I'm taking a break and read all the forums a can find).

I have read in some places that profesional composers do about 3 minutes of music on a day when working on a movie score. Does that 3 minutes include full orchestration? Is extra time allowed if you have to have to program expression and different articulations?

How much do you do?
    Depends on how much you want to tweak. I think 3 minutes a day is a good average - however I've spent as much as 3 days on a 1.5 minute cue if the stakes are high enough.

What happens in my case is that its better to walk away from the piece for a day and then come back to it because its easy to "stop hearing it" because the music in your head gets much louder as you work if you know what I mean. Coming back to it on the following day makes it easier to hear the missing pieces, the unedited expression on the strings, the clipping on track 3, the muddiness on track 6, and so on.

Gugliel, that's pretty good going!!

My best year (2003) ever has been about 30 songs of average 3 minutes each, i.e. about 90 minutes. Before that I would have been lucky to do more than 5 songs in a year. That does NOT include full orchestration etc. and I never bother with printed scores. That just takes too much time. I'll never be able to keep up this 7 minutes a day for any extended period.

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick
    Depends on how much you want to tweak. I think 3 minutes a day is a good average - however I've spent as much as 3 days on a 1.5 minute cue if the stakes are high enough.

What happens in my case is that its better to walk away from the piece for a day and then come back to it because its easy to "stop hearing it" because the music in your head gets much louder as you work if you know what I mean. Coming back to it on the following day makes it easier to hear the missing pieces, the unedited expression on the strings, the clipping on track 3, the muddiness on track 6, and so on.
    That is VERY good advice. One "miss" the little mishaps when the concentration goes. A fresh look at the music the next day is the best medicine.

I've got a friend that has made over 1,000 songs in 3 or 4 years. Now that's pretty freaking amazing if you ask me. Of course, he's just got it in him. I don't think its normal to compose like that. Every time he gets a new library here comes another 50 songs.

Quote Originally Posted by gugliel
    I do about 80-100 minutes a year -- that averages about 15 seconds a day
    I would be hapy with that average - my average is something like 5 seconds a day
    Best regards,
    Andreas

Wink Re: How many minutes of music can you compose per day?

I generally submit about 6 CDs to the U.S. Copyright office per year. That's about 115 minutes total (as they are generally filled to the almost 80-minute capacity and I think the restriction is 30 "songs" per submission). That generally equates to what I would term 18 - 20 "pieces" per CD.

Of course, what this isn't counting is the binders and binders of incomplete material which, for one reason or another, I've put aside "to come back to later". (In some cases, that happens, in most, not.) I also save copious copies of various Cubase "project" files so that if I do resurrect a piece which has been set aside, I have the option of starting from where I left off.

Under pressure of completion (for example, with a tight film score deadline) I think any composer works faster (and sometimes, if lucky, better).

imho ... KevinKauai
    Last edited by KevinKauai; 09-05-2004 at 05:25 PM. Reason: [hit Submit before I meant to!]

Go Back to forum