• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Why does A sound better than B ???

Share/Bookmark

Why does A sound better than B ???

I have seen over and over again in the comparison of SOnar, Cubase, Nuendo, Samplitude, Sawstudio, Protools, that it is all just 1s and 0s, so it is the soundcard, preamps etc. that really is the difference in quality of sound. This just isnt so, as pulling in the SAME wave files into the above, and running a rough mix, one sounds WAY WAY WAY better (you can free demo most of the above and run tests yourself). Why is that so?

Re: Why does A sound better than B ???

When you record to digital you have to keep in mind that besides using good preamps good (analog-to-digital) converters are important as well. If you have a few thousand bucks you can easily get Apogee converters, in the lower range RME converters are considered to be good value. If you're using sample libraries the recordings have been done for you, so you won't need to worry about that point. It then depends on the kind of digital processing you do. Bad plugins can really mess up the sound. The quality of sequencers also differs of course. You'll get a better sound out of pro tools then from a free sequencer probably.

It seems to be the way the software is coded. Each audio engine is obvious not coded the same way. I (and a few friends who use cubase) noticed a sonic diff. from SX1 (old audio engine) to SX2 (nuendos audio engine.)
    I ve also notice recording audio into Samptitude sound "cleaner and wider" than in SX2. Its all going through the same Hardware but the software is reacting differently. though u`d think it would be all the same...1`s and 0`...

Smile Re: Why does A sound better than B ???

It's simple, Software has a sound, and it's (Software) sounds is based upon mnay factors in coding.

There is the (Input gain stage) algorithms, Summ(output alogorithms, and other complex coding issues.

Let's me make one thing clear, $$ money is not the determinig factor on sound quality od a DAW appplication. It has been tested and proven that if you were to take a 2 track wave file as a test subject and load into and DAW with, faders set to unity gain, no plugins, the result are almost identical on all applications.

However, it's when you start, pushing the faders past unity gain, that things start getting interesting(some better, some worse).

Most of your stock Midi-audio sequencers, Logic, Performer,Cakewalk, audio engine suffers greatly againt DAW's that are audio/editing first Daw's..Like your Samplitude, Nuendo, Paris, SX, Pro-Tools & Sonar..

Now, things really take a drastic turne in audio qualilty from here. To my ear's and many, Samplitude is the best overall in the sound dept. It's clarity, dept, width, spacial imgaging, is tellar.. Then comes Nuendo 2x..Nice open sound.. Paris, big beef-analogish tape sound... Sonar..Much improved ..Then
    Pro-Tools..Nice Mid-Highs end shine..Motu's Perfomer/with it's harware converters can stand up to anthing on the market.. Confused??

Conclusion:
    Yes, software has a sound.. Money is not the issue. You can spem 20$k on
    Pto-Tools HD system and not get the sound perfomncer with someone who
    has a $500.00 RME Card with Samplitude or Nuendo). And, Since has been
    discontinued, a Full Blow Paris system can be had for around $700.00. If you never PAris in action, then you are in for a surprise. To me, there is nothing on the macket that can touch it's hard slammin 'warm" sound..Go figure..Ensoniq/ID got it right..

JJDPRO

All the sequencers I've tried sound the same. Exactly the same. Some have 32bit internal mixing, others 64. But it makes no difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Luke Skirenko
    All the sequencers I've tried sound the same. Exactly the same. Some have 32bit internal mixing, others 64. But it makes no difference.
    So, ummm, exactly which sequencers have you tried?

-Doug

http://www.softsampling.com

Quote Originally Posted by jjdpro
    Yes, software has a sound.. Money is not the issue. You can spem 20$k on Pto-Tools HD system and not get the sound perfomncer with someone who has a $500.00 RME Card with Samplitude or Nuendo).
    Hey watch it! Them's fighting words! Good thing this isn't rec.audio.pro...

Quote Originally Posted by jjdpro
    And, Since has been discontinued, a Full Blow Paris system can be had for around $700.00. If you never PAris in action, then you are in for a surprise. To me, there is nothing on the macket that can touch it's hard slammin 'warm" sound..Go figure..Ensoniq/ID got it right..
    Shhhh!!! Hey man, don't let everyone know that! I still want to add to my Paris rig and I don't want anyone else buying the stuff up before I get to it!

-Doug

http://www.parisnewsgroup.com

I totally agree with Samplitude sounding on top, Until I loaded a Demo of Sawstudio, and wow, when you push it, It just sounds GREAT. I know Paris is supposed to sound great too, I just cant AB that one. I was going to buy the SONy oxford plugin package for $899, but for $300, i got that sound out of Sawstudio, plus a great recording software. I think everyone owes it to themselves to download a Demo, pull in some files and fire it up!

PS You will be shocked how low your CPU load is, & NO DROPOUTS!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by DougWellington
    So, ummm, exactly which sequencers have you tried?

-Doug

In depth: Tracktion, Logic 5, SX1, Orion, N-Track Studio, and I've messed with all the others at some point, including Samplitude.

Tell me, does the Magix Music Studio/Maker whatever it's called with the cut-down version of Samplitude have the same audio engine? Can you tell?

Go Back to forum