• Register
  • Help

Topic: Opiions on Massive reinstall

Share/Bookmark

Cool Opinions on Massive reinstall

Hello again. Well to make a short story shorter, the new hard drive install ended up being reinstalling WinXP pro on one of the new hard drives. I have all my data from the other drives but will need to reinstall all programs (13 at last count) to make them workable again. I am wondering this, should I delete all the existing programs from the "old" hard drives just in case to avoid possible conflicts when installing, as in the program I would be installing at that time might see some of the program material on my third or fourth drives which are the old(original) drives. I hope somone is following me on this and might have an opinion. Thanks

PS...... (God I love that face)

Re: Opiions on Massive reinstall

Between you and me, I wouldn't delete anything until I had the new drive up and stable. There should be no conflicts. I said 'should', I ain't promising anything.

Lightbulb Re: Opiions on Massive reinstall

mrreno,
    A friend of mine does the following with success and it make sense to me. He only installs one drive (the new one) when doing the XP and application install. Once that is all done, he adds the second (old) drive to the machine and then moves data, etc across.

-Kevin
    We are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams …
    24" 2.4 Ghz iMac, OSX 10.4.10, MOTU 828 MKII, 2 Glyph 250 Gig external drives, Logic 9, Finale 2008 GPO, JABB, Strad, Gro, Reason 4, EWQL Storm Drum, Adrenaline, Symphonic Choirs, SO Gold,All Arturia Synths, Many NI Synths, Spectrasonics Synths, KH Strings, VEPro on a Windows 7 4x 2.8 Ghz 12 gig of RAM

Thumbs up Re: Opiions on Massive reinstall

Thanks LFO, seeing how it is all basically new again disconnecting the other drives while installing makes sense. All my saved songs are on a different drive anyway so this may be the way to go. Thanks again!

And one more time just because................

Re: Opinions on Massive reinstall

Quote Originally Posted by mrreno
    Hello again. Well to make a short story shorter, the new hard drive install ended up being reinstalling WinXP pro on one of the new hard drives. I have all my data from the other drives but will need to reinstall all programs (13 at last count) to make them workable again. I am wondering this, should I delete all the existing programs from the "old" hard drives just in case to avoid possible conflicts when installing, as in the program I would be installing at that time might see some of the program material on my third or fourth drives which are the old(original) drives. I hope somone is following me on this and might have an opinion. Thanks

PS...... (God I love that face)
    I wouldn't delete them unless files are saved in those programs. There won't be any conflicts in the old programs unless you try to open them. Most likely they won't open because they are not in the registry on the new drive.

Go Back to forum