• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Overture reboots computer

Share/Bookmark

Overture reboots computer

Hi!

I'm using the bundled Overture SE (version 3.6.1) and it keeps rebooting my system at random intervals. What I get is a blue screen saying "DRIVER_LEFT_LOCKED_PAGES_IN_PROCESS" and that the driver/process that made the error was ntoskrnl.exe. I have also noticed that Overture doesn't close properly, because a process named OvertureSE.exe is still in task manager after closing the program. I can't kill the process, because "Access is denied". So when I have used Overture and closed it, my computer still crashes at some point. If I don't use it, my computer doesn't crash.

Does anybody have similar problems? This keeps bugging me, because I just got an inspiration to do music with notation software and the only software I have doesn't work

I'm running an AMD Athlon XP 1700+, 1,2Gb RAM, Windows 2000.

Re: Overture reboots computer

Started happening to me after I removed some virtual midi drivers. I don't know what caused it and I don't know why what fixed it, fixed it, but here's something to try.

TBRemove for Overture

Use the TBRemove and see if that helps. Like I said, it doesn't say on the page to use it for that purpose, but it worked on mine for some inexplicable reason. It won't hurt to give it a shot.

Nope, that didn't work. It still crashes and gives the same error.

But why doesn't Overture go away from task manager? If I open it another time, there's two OvertureSE.exe processes running. It just doesn't sound so healthy to me.

Could it be some kind of a compatibility problem with W2K? All the other audio software I have (Sonar 2, the bundled Cubasis) seems to work perfectly with GPO.

Btw. thanks for the fast reply. This community is the best I've ever seen.

Quote Originally Posted by Gambler
    Nope, that didn't work. It still crashes and gives the same error.

But why doesn't Overture go away from task manager? If I open it another time, there's two OvertureSE.exe processes running. It just doesn't sound so healthy to me.

Could it be some kind of a compatibility problem with W2K? All the other audio software I have (Sonar 2, the bundled Cubasis) seems to work perfectly with GPO.

Btw. thanks for the fast reply. This community is the best I've ever seen.
    Hi,

I had similar blue screen crashes too but in a different context.

I have a Dell laptop with XP home and I installed a PCMCIA sound card (Echo Indigo I/O) and right after it started crashing over and over again.

The problem stoped after I upgraded some drivers and did a windows update. Apparently there was a problem caused to the video display from the sound card and I had the same error message as you Process_has_locked_pages or something like.

Anyway, my point is you might need to update some of your drivers (?)

NDEE

I don't think this is a driver issue (or maybe it is, who knows?). I did a little background work and checked what was in physical memory when the crash occured. All the pointers in bugcheck pointed to ntoskrnl.exe. I don't know so much about these things, but according to MSDN (Microsoft Developer Network), bugcheck pointers tell which driver made the error. In my case it's ntoskrnl.exe.

After all, Sonar 2 and Cubasis VST seem to work (with both ASIO and WDM). If it is a driver problem, why doesn't these programs make my computer crash?

Thanks for the good suggestion, though. I must doublecheck that I have all the updates for W2K.

I've just Googled "ntoskrnl.exe" and a lot of stuff came up about crashes with it, you might want to check that out.

NDEE

Ok, I've copied all the possible updates for W2k and searched new updates for my device drivers. If these don't solve the problem, I don't know what to do.

Anyway, thanks for the help NDEE and Joseph. It's always easier to solve these problems when you have more than one head pondering the problem.

Arrow Re: Overture reboots computer

There are two clues to your problem. The first is the ntoskrnl.exe program being named. I don't remember details, but it was a Win2k problem with several drivers. I believe a service pack fixed the problem, but I can't exactly recall. A quick search should verify this.

The second clue is the message DRIVER_LEFT_LOCKED_PAGES_IN_PROCESS. Note the words Driver and locked pages. Some kind of a driver is not freeing up resources, thus you are seeing Overture.exe not being released and remaining in the task manager. Again, this is a driver issue.

The best way to solve this kind of problem (especially with Win2k) is to have all service packs installed and to use the latest drivers for all your hardware. It is not intuitive, however things like Word locking up because a printer driver does not work well with the video driver being used can happen. The tangled web of driver and kernal interaction can be mind boggling, especially for programs like Overture. (Printer, video highly integrated, audio drivers, MIDI drivers, etc.)

As a side note, XP handles these kinds of issues much better than Win2k, so if you ever decide to take the plunge you should find XP to be more stable.

-Kevin
    We are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams …
    24" 2.4 Ghz iMac, OSX 10.4.10, MOTU 828 MKII, 2 Glyph 250 Gig external drives, Logic 9, Finale 2008 GPO, JABB, Strad, Gro, Reason 4, EWQL Storm Drum, Adrenaline, Symphonic Choirs, SO Gold,All Arturia Synths, Many NI Synths, Spectrasonics Synths, KH Strings, VEPro on a Windows 7 4x 2.8 Ghz 12 gig of RAM

Thanks for the good tips Kevin. There is so much happening beneath the W2k's surface that you never know where the problem lies.

I hope these updates I've made help to solve this issue. I would really like to learn composing with Overture, but it's very frustrating when your own computer doesn't do what it's supposed to do.

But it's very good that one can get help from a forum like this. This is the first forum I've ever participated and despite the fact that my English isn't so good I have learned so much from this site.

It could be that Overture doesn't like W2K. I've had problems that I can't solve. But I think the problem lies in the installer.

Go Back to forum