• Register
  • Help

Topic: EWQLSO Platinum Demo

Share/Bookmark

Post EWQLSO Platinum Demo

Hi everyone,

I'd like to post a couple of tracks I composed for a short film using mostly EWQLSO Platinum, but I currently don't know where to upload them. Can anyone help? I'd appreciate it much... I'd really like to share this music to get some feedback from you!

By the way, the other libraries used are VOTA, Dan Dean Solo Woodwinds, Bosendorfer 290, London Orchestral Percussions, Twisted Textures & Rare Instruments.

Thanks in advance,

Update: the file is available for download... http://scoringhouse.com/Luca/Restless.mp3. See notes below.

Luca Antonini

Re: EWQLSO Platinum Demo

Luca, I would be glad to host it for you.

You can send the file to bschum@centurytel.net and I will pop it up on my site and give you the link.
    "So what if some parts of life are a crap shoot? Get out there and shoot the crap." -- Neil Peart
    Hint:1.6180339887498948482 Φ

Quote Originally Posted by Brian2112
    Luca, I would be glad to host it for you.
    Thanks Brian! I'm sending it right now... :-)

Some "notes" about the music: this file contains two cues of a short film soundtrack I'm working on. The film is called "Restless" and it's a thriller/noir about a father who hires a killer to find revenge against his 12 years old daughter's murderers. The killer begins to track the three men but when he decides to strike, he finds them already dead, one after the other. In the end it comes out that the little girl's spirit (or ghost) has come back to find revenge by herself. I know it sounds like a terrible script but it's pretty good on screen, very nice acting and photography, and some high-quality visual effects...

The music begins over the opening titles and continues through the first scene, when the father talks to the killer and sets the story. The dialogue lasts from 0:30 to 2:40 approximately, then the music fades out at the end of the scene.

At 2:55 I have pasted the second cue (in the film it's about six minutes later). This scene has no dialog at all. One of the murderers is watching TV at home and suddenly some strange-looking fast-moving shadows appear in the dark behind him. At 3:30 the scene changes and the camera moves outside, in the street. It's night. A porsche arrives and stops at the murderer's house. The killer gets out of the car and enters the building, goes upstairs, finds the apartment's door open and goes in. He finds the man dead. Apparently no explanation. Fade out.

There's a piano theme heard twice in this second cue (at 3:02 and 4:06). It's a childish and sweet melody, deeply in contrast with the visuals on the screen. At the second measure the theme "dies" to a diminished chord, remaining somewhat suspended... My idea is to introduce this short phrase everytime the girl's spirit comes into the action (even before the audience knows there's a spirit around). In the final scene, when the ghost reveals herself and the three murderers are dead, the theme finally finds a resolution, a full orchestral development in C major that goes on through the end titles (that part is still in my mind but I have to finish it before Sep 15th... ouch!).

That's it. I wanted to tell you something about the story so it's easier to understand what sort of feeling I was looking for.

Any review, comment or suggestion about the cue is very welcome! And thanks in advance to anyone who takes the time to listen! ;-)

Luca

Here is Luca's Demo:

Restless

This is an excellent cue (imho). What gives me the willies is that before reading the above post, I received the file and listened to it. I am in a dark studio all alone, and I kept having to look behind me to make sure that a little girl wasn’t about to thrust a knife into my back. The music told me what you just stated above = mission accomplished!

The subtle use of the other libraries should put to rest any doubts that one can use other instruments with EWQLSO effectively without being in “the hall”. Exceptionally well done! And it is my honor to host it.

…2112
    "So what if some parts of life are a crap shoot? Get out there and shoot the crap." -- Neil Peart
    Hint:1.6180339887498948482 Φ

Quote Originally Posted by Brian2112
    This is an excellent cue (imho). What gives me the willies is that before reading the above post, I received the file and listened to it. I am in a dark studio all alone, and I kept having to look behind me to make sure that a little girl wasn’t about to thrust a knife into my back. The music told me what you just stated above = mission accomplished!

The subtle use of the other libraries should put to rest any doubts that one can use other instruments with EWQLSO effectively without being in “the hall”. Exceptionally well done! And it is my honor to host it.
    Thank you again Brian, I'm glad you like it. This is my first serious attempt at composing "thriller/suspense" music in sync with video and I'm getting a little bit nervous here (time to finish the work is running out!).

In my experience EWQLSO can be successfully used with any other high-quality library. By the way, for this track I added a touch of final reverb on everything (except non orchestral special effects), using the Lexicon Pantheon of Sonar 3.

Luca

Luca,
    Really nice , quite enjoyed it. Another perfectly dreary morning in Vancouver helped out with the mood. :-) Good work man.

christianb

Nice cue. Reminds me a bit of Gladiator theme at the begining Good work

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Kiel
    Reminds me a bit of Gladiator theme at the begining
    Definitely... I'm aware of it. But when I realized I unconsciously ripped off the first six notes of the Gladiator soundtrack, the cue was finished and it was already too late to change it. Hope it's not too bad... :-(

Luca

Go Back to forum