• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: New Era for New DAW...

Share/Bookmark

Thumbs up New Era for New DAW...

Hi to all:

First off I want to congrat to all for the real entrance of GS3 in our scene. It is a real good new for going on producing music!
    I just come from the "chambermusic" thread: Purchased new system... comments please

I feel this moment to be, at least for me, the proper to have this thread starting on POSITIVE comments and opinions about HOW to build a new DAW exclusively for using with GS3. I would prefer staying on the only GS3 DAW purpose unlike a multi-purpose DAW, OK?

(now a little trick to have this thread not converting to a circus and degradating itself on personal matters: PLEASE! DON´T AKNOWLEDGE TO ANYTHING NEGATIVE, ONLY TO CONTRUCTIVE IDEAS AND OPINIONS). Now everybody is free to do what he want as it is only a trick, but it works and make possible reaching quickly our target.

For sure the beat-testing group for GS3 and people of Tascam like Synthetic are the first welcome because they have more reality of the new GigaStudio.

The inside topics would contains:
    MOBO, chipset, CPU, OS, Memory, HDs (SATA, RAID 0, etc), LAN (10/100/1000), FireWire, USb, DVD Rom, DVD record, Monitors, case, GSIF2 (sound cards, GigaTeleport, etc).

Maybe it will be useful to have someone on board organising this thread because of the parameter range to see, I mean someone who speak well in English.

So, good times are coming!

... excuse me for my bad English.

Re: New Era for New DAW...

It would be incredibly helpful to someone such as myself, who is building a brand new system!

The big question is if GS3 works reliably on Athlon64 processors in 32-bit mode. If not, it's a Pentium game.

I'm not real thrilled with AMD right now. I have a killer Athlon XP motherboard, but those processors reached a dead end. Had I gone with a P4 board, I would still be on the fast track.

Then consider the way that the Athlon64s were introduced. How many sockets do they need to get it right anyway?

It's possible that the P4s will hit the end of the road soon, and that the Athlon64 motherboards will have longer lives. If that's the case, then the Athlon64 path may be best.

But not if they don't do justice to GS3.

Now... Back to my Athlon XP situation. I have a 2200+ processor. The question for me is do I spend $100 on a 2700+ Thouroughbread, which runs at 2.14 GHz, has a 256k cache and a 333 MHz FSB, or do I spend $200 on a 3200+ Barton that runs at 2.2 GHz, has a 512k cache and a 400 MHz FSB? If clock speed is what propels GigaPulse, I might as well get the 2700+. If memory speed is the bottleneck, the 3200+ is the ticket.

If anybody has the chance to make a comparison (or even an educated guess) let me know. I'm not ready to dump my motherboard quite yet.

-JF

I don´t know much about Athlon processors and MoBo but in case to go with P4 it seems that most of the pro musicians are recomending/using the ASUS P4C800-E Deluxe. Don´t know if a succesor of this MoBo is to appear or is already available?
    Another great Mobo seems to be from Gigabyte (8IK1100 if I remember well)

If you want we could first focus on the Mobo question paying attention to severals aspects like perfomance (CPU), FSB, Memory type, PCI sharing, conectivity, etc...

Thanks in advance for any input

Quote Originally Posted by Danimal
    It would be incredibly helpful to someone such as myself, who is building a brand new system!
    Yes and you are not alone.

Don't have my G3 yet, though it has been ordered -- but the ASUS P4C800-Deluxe motherboard has been working just fine for my GS2.5 -- and the gigabit lan interface was valuable in my case for transferring big files back and forth in a dedicated connection, and the fast disk interface is good (though not fast enough!). When I got it, it looked just a bit expensive compared to others -- but in the tens of dollars, not hundreds, so it turned out to be good for me.

The processor (2.8GHz is mine) has not seemed to be a bottleneck -- in capacity, I hit the limit of my 1 Gigabyte of memory very fast, and then the disk speed (or maybe pci bus limits) are the next limitation: in loading programs, not in performance, for which I never have problems.

So for an upgrade which I'm debating about, I was looking at simply getting more memory first, since there don't seem to be big improvements in motherboards since getting my PC4800 almost a year ago.

Quote Originally Posted by JonFairhurst
    Now... Back to my Athlon XP situation. I have a 2200+ processor. The question for me is do I spend $100 on a 2700+ Thouroughbread, which runs at 2.14 GHz, has a 256k cache and a 333 MHz FSB, or do I spend $200 on a 3200+ Barton that runs at 2.2 GHz, has a 512k cache and a 400 MHz FSB? If clock speed is what propels GigaPulse, I might as well get the 2700+. If memory speed is the bottleneck, the 3200+ is the ticket.

If anybody has the chance to make a comparison (or even an educated guess) let me know. I'm not ready to dump my motherboard quite yet.

-JF
    go for the barton its really fast espacially on 400mhz dual channel nforce chipsets.

Quote Originally Posted by JonFairhurst
    The big question is if GS3 works reliably on Athlon64 processors in 32-bit mode. If not, it's a Pentium game.

Then consider the way that the Athlon64s were introduced. How many sockets do they need to get it right anyway?
    -JF
    i did intesive tests on athlon 64 3500+ 939 pin gigabyte board with nvidia chipset and sata raid 0 using wd raptor drives.

this combinations gives much more tracks then the asus p4c800 with the same drives and raid 0 and p4 3200mhz.

BUT till now i only tested kontakt with the ewqlso-platinum library.

Quote Originally Posted by Disko300
    i did intesive tests on athlon 64 3500+ 939 pin gigabyte board with nvidia chipset and sata raid 0 using wd raptor drives.

this combinations gives much more tracks then the asus p4c800 with the same drives and raid 0 and p4 3200mhz.

BUT till now i only tested kontakt with the ewqlso-platinum library.
    One reason for this could be that Kontakt is more processor-intense than GS. I got a P4 1.3 GHz running GS 2.5 quite efficient, while Kontakt is not at all as efficient.

I think it's quite impossible to define THE SYSTEM that is best in every situation for every user.

I just ordered a P4 3.2 GHZ machine with 2 GB RAM, 2 SATA in RAID0 and an IDE system disk, with the PC800E-deluxe Mobo. I chose these components because it contains only well-proven, stable items, which will serve me well. I don't want to be a tester on new technology just to MAYBE get that extra 2% of performance boost - IF it works. The next machine I'll purchase a couple of years from now will be true 64bit, WITH 64BIT APPLICATIONS, so I don't intend to upgrade the PC800E machine at all, except for an additional HD perhaps.

Any machine you buy today will anyway be obsolete in 3 years time. So I'd rather wait to buy 64bit until we have 64 bit applications and OS. I will get an increadibly better machine at that time...

Just my 0.02..

Cheers

Chris
    New music at
    www.calegy.com

Hey Allmoge,

What power supply and case are you going to have? Danimal

Go Back to forum