• Register
  • Help

Topic: Losing Bass Drum Fundamental

Share/Bookmark

Losing Bass Drum Fundamental

Can anyone else replicate this? If it's not just me, maybe we can have Tom take a look.

Every time I set the bass drum fundamental and have the sequencer (Overture) play through a passage, I hear the fundamental setting as selected for the first pass, but then lose it on all successive playback. If I go back into GPO Studio, I can see that the setting has automatically reverted to its default. If I then click on the bass drum midi slot in GPO Studio, the setting then moves back to where I had set it.

Re: Losing Bass Drum Fundamental

Darwin,

I'll check to see if I can confirm this. In the meantime, are you entering cc20 data at the beginning of the track or are you just setting the player's knob and saving the song file? If you aren't actually placing data in the track I'd give that a try.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Hopkins
    Darwin,

I'll check to see if I can confirm this. In the meantime, are you entering cc20 data at the beginning of the track or are you just setting the player's knob and saving the song file? If you aren't actually placing data in the track I'd give that a try.

Tom
    Tom,

CC20 would probably work, but Overture is apparently not set up to tap it. Most of the other major controllers are present but not #20. I was lulled into thinking that I could set and forget the bd fundamental like the other controls (pitch, volume, and tuning), but I now see that the bd fundamental knob is a member of the "variable" subset of GPO Studio control knobs. For this same reason, I cannot tap into variable playback when present in a patch because it also would use cc20.

This isn't a show stopper, as the performance can always be captured with the desired fundamental setting, i.e., the first pass always works. I only lose the fundamental when working back and forth on a passage unless I go back into GPO studio and reset it every time.

DarwinKopp, I know that controller 20 is not listed in the dropdown, but just delete whatever is and type in '20' and it will work, trust me, I did it last night with portamento controller CC 22.

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Burrell
    DarwinKopp, I know that controller 20 is not listed in the dropdown, but just delete whatever is and type in '20' and it will work, trust me, I did it last night with portamento controller CC 22.
    Yikes, that works! Great hidden feature. Ooh, this is going to help the human playback in fast passages tons now that the var controller can be tapped.

Thanks, Joseph!

What does controller 20 do? Handy to know about 22 for portamento!

It controls the bass fundemental settings for the bass drum patch.

Quote Originally Posted by gardibolt
    What does controller 20 do? Handy to know about 22 for portamento!
    As far as I know, cc20 only sets the fundamental for the bass drum patch.

As far as cc22 goes, according to Tom:

VAR 1 controls the random generation of tuning variations using MIDI cc22. VAR 2 controls the random generation of timbre (EQ) variations using MIDI cc24

...but cc24 isn't implemented yet in the GPO Kontakt player. In another release it will work, but cc24 is being moved to cc23 instead.

I'm not sure how Joseph is getting portamento out of cc22, but maybe a huge tuning variation from note to note sounds exactly like portamento.

Sorry, I'm always getting these controllers confused.

CC 20 = Bass Drum fundemental
    CC 20 also equals PORTAMENTO on legato patches

CC22 = Variation control

Sorry for the confusion.

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Burrell
    Sorry, I'm always getting these controllers confused.

CC 20 = Bass Drum fundemental
    CC 20 also equals PORTAMENTO on legato patches

CC22 = Variation control

Sorry for the confusion.
    Yes, that helps. Thanks again!

Go Back to forum