• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: Tascam GigaStudio 3.00 Known Issues

Share/Bookmark

Tascam GigaStudio 3.00 Known Issues

The GS3 box includes a single piece of paper with "Tascam GigaStudio 3.00 Known Issues".

Tascam US will be posting this to their website soon, but it appears they are all helping out the packaging and shipping group get orders out the door.

When I talked to the Tech Support person, he mentioned this is a laundry list of EVERY ISSUE that ANY tester ever had.

Here are a most of the issues:

GS3 Application Issues (issues of functionality inside the application)
    - GS2 and GS3 can't be installed on the same machine (i.e. uninstall GS2 before installing GS3)
    - there are number of minor ones that I don't want to type in

Hardware Compatibility
    - Hyperthreading is not supported at this time and should be disabled in your computer's BIOS
    - Dual processor machines are not supported at this time
    - 64-bit processors are not supported at this time
    - Testing has revealed an incompatibility between GS3 and the SanDisk USB Smart Media Drive. This drive should not be connected
    - Testing has revealed POSSIBLE incompatibilities between GS3 and TC PowerCore. This device should not be connected to your GS3 computer.

Third-Party Software Compatibility
    - Known incompatible VST plugins:
    - Steinberg Tools One
    - Yamaha Vocal Rack
    - NI Absynth -- make sure it is not in the GS3 VST search path
    - GS3 does not support VST Instruments [GS3 supports VST Plugins but not VST Instruments]

- Steinberg's Clean 5 cannot be installed on the same computer
    - Do not RUN Microsoft Outlook on the same computer as GigaStudio 3

My additional comments about the MS Outlook problem:
    I talked to the Tech Support rep about this one, since it affects me. He said that MS Outlook and GS3 CAN BE INSTALLED on the same computer, but you shouldn't run them at the same time. He can not recreate this problem, but at least one beta tester had a problem running both. He suggested "restarting" the computer if I want to switch between GS3 and Microsoft Outlook. --A minor inconvience in my opinion.

Re: Tascam GigaStudio 3.00 Known Issues

Anyone know if it will eventually be compatible with hyperthreading?

Ben

Question Re: Tascam GigaStudio 3.00 Known Issues

- GS3 does not support VST Instruments
    Well.... is this the same thing as "VST plug-in hosting"..... kinda wondering, because the GigaStudio website says that the new 3.0 version will have VST plug-in hosting.

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gary M. Thomas
    Well.... is this the same thing as "VST plug-in hosting"..... kinda wondering, because the GigaStudio website says that the new 3.0 version will have VST plug-in hosting.
    VST=yes
    VSTi=not currently

Quote Originally Posted by Gary M. Thomas
    There is a difference between VST Plug-ins (really VST effect plug-ins) and VSTi (VST Instruments like Steinberg Virtual Guitarist, etc.).

I would assume the VST functionality is intended to help use VST Plug-in effects to be able to modify the sound within GS itself (i.e. you load a GS instrument, then add effects to it).

I see Bruce mentions that VSTi will eventually be suppported

Regarding the known issue of incompatible plugins:

Unless it's a product that says "don't run on same machine," you don't really have to move the product to a different directory. If you let Giga scan for it, see it, then crash on it (which will happen next time you load up), then Giga is going to automatically tag it as a problem plugin, and it will not subsequently attempt to load it.

So if you have the patience to let it tank once, you don't have to do anything except let Giga take care of the problem.

Bruce, can you comment now on memory usage in GS3?

> "- 64-bit processors are not supported at this time"

That one surprised me. People who bought Athlon64s to be used with GS3 will be bummed.

I wonder if "not supported" means that they didn't test with Athlon64s, so you're on your own? Or does it mean that your computer will definitely tank if you try to run GS3 on an Athlon64?

I'm glad that I sat tight with my little old standard Athlon CPU.

-JF

As in what, specifically? I don't really have any comparison data, because I have not run GS 2.x for months now (and certainly ain't going back).

I guess the only thing I can do is load up something and tell you what percentage of the memory it consumes...you can compare that to GS2.

I have 1.5 GB of RAM in this machine, and loading the Nemesys_1GB_Grand.gig file (whole thing) consumes 4% memory. The meter is sitting at 2% before I load anything, on a fresh startup after a fresh system boot.

Hope that helps. I don't know what else I could provide.

Quote Originally Posted by JonFairhurst
    > "- 64-bit processors are not supported at this time"

That one surprised me. People who bought Athlon64s to be used with GS3 will be bummed.

I wonder if "not supported" means that they didn't test with Athlon64s, so you're on your own? Or does it mean that your computer will definitely tank if you try to run GS3 on an Athlon64?

I'm glad that I sat tight with my little old standard Athlon CPU.

-JF
    To my knowledge "not supported" means exactly that. Much like Win2K. They say it may run. They're just not going to test for it.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast