• Register
  • Help

Topic: Ideal GPO/Mac set-up?

Share/Bookmark

Ideal GPO/Mac set-up?

This sounds like one of those self-answering questions - but I've just begun using GPO with Sibelius on a Mac G4(1GHz & 1Gb ram) and US122 for output, and am considering purchase of a desktop.

GPO has very impressive sounds and it's a huge jump in quality from anything I've ever used. But limitations of the laptop seem evident after doing alot of fixes - I'm only able to get 2-3 voices going before sonic meltdown starts.

The question for me is: are the current generation of Mac desktops powerful enough to get high quality playback of large orchestrations or should I wait?

Re: Ideal GPO/Mac set-up?

Quote Originally Posted by pgurnee

The question for me is: are the current generation of Mac desktops powerful enough to get high quality playback of large orchestrations or should I wait?
    Hi pqunee,

No need to wait. Get the fastest G5 with the most ram you can afford and you will be happier than a termite in a cello.

Best of luck to you.

Karl

Hi!
    I'm using a bi-867 with 896 Mb RAM and OS X.3.5.
    It's ok as you don't want to use a full orchestra "live". The most important point here is the amount of RAM : 1.25 Gb must be ok for orchestra.
    But if you really want to be fine with a full orchestra, my advice is a G5 bi-2Ghz with 1.5 Gb RAM.
    That's what I gonna buy in few weeks ;-)

Thanks Karl and Gil for the replies - very helpful info.

Have you seen the new G5 iMacs? They would not be as powerful as the dual-processor stand-alone G5, but IÕll bet unless you are going to do Wagner, loaded with 2g. ram, one of them might do the trick and for 200 dollars less than the current G4 iMac, such a deal! They are supposed to be available the middle of this month and boy are they beautiful to look at.

New iMac

Karl

Thanks Karl for the suggestion re the G5 iMac - I've been wondering if the dual processors are actually necessary or useful for music apps.

I'm also wondering about setting things up in the same configuration as would be done with GigaStudio, as a dedicated unit, running multiple instances of Kontakt with Garritan Strings etc. Today I'm looking into something I got wind of called Maestro which I'm told would be a component of such a system.

Unfortunately must factor in cost considerations for all of this, but have waited a long time for what I have now in GPO, which is pretty amazing for the $.

Thanks again

Hi,

Just to say that I have a bi pro G5 (2x2Ghz) and 2,5 Go of RAM, and I can load all the instruments I want, with effects (reverb.... and I can use in the same time mail, dp4, overture without any problem
    Be confident, it's a very good choice I think.
    Regards
    L

Just to say that I have a bi pro G5 (2x2Ghz) and 2,5 Go of RAM, and I can load all the instruments I want, with effects (reverb.... and I can use in the same time mail, dp4, overture without any problem
    Be confident, it's a very good choice I think.
    Regards
    L[/QUOTE]

Thanks btml -

I've posted the question 'are GPO/Kontakt written for dual processor Macs?' because the iMac G5's are due out soon at about half what the towers cost.

The configuration I currently have(G4 laptop/Sibelius/GPO) is almost totally functional as long as I don't try to play back full orchestrations, which is pretty amazing. If I keep to quartets & etc with a few solo instruments it works pretty well except for a bit of static, pops etc.

Thanks again

I've posted the question 'are GPO/Kontakt written for dual processor Macs?' because the iMac G5's are due out soon at about half what the towers cost.

It works without any problem with the dual processor, you just have to download a patch on the MOTU web site if you 're using dp 4.

I've seen the nice new Imac, and it seems to be a good product. But be carefull, it's a G5, and you'll have enough power, but the main important is the RAM if you want to load a full orchestra. Reed the I mac specifications.
    I think that 1,5 Go RAM will be enough.

Go Back to forum