• Register
  • Help

Topic: How do you use Ensemble Maker?

Share/Bookmark

How do you use Ensemble Maker?

Hey there!

This may be a VERY stupid question, but I use GPO, and I have yet to know what to do about Ensemble Maker. Is it a sepreate program that should come with GPO? If so, i dont have it. Someone please help me!

1. Where is it?
    2. How do you Use it?
    3. Is it easy to Use?

Thanks!
    ~FireGS

Re: How do you use Ensemble Maker?

FireGS,

Ensemble building is a concept not a program. Most solo instruments have corresponding ensemble instruments (Ens1, Ens2, Ens3) that can be used to build ensembles of various sizes as needed. Ensemble instruments are individual players derived from the solo instruments but constructed so as to avoid common samples with each other (and avoid attendant phasing problems). If you needed a violin section with 7 players you could combine that many ensemble instruments to create it. Or a clarinet section with 3 instruments. Or a trombone section with just 2. Whatever you need. Just remember the much-discussed rule of avoiding the combination of solo instruments with their derived ensemble instruments (they use the same samples. Read: phasing problems). This was discussed on the forum in the just the last week.

Tom

So say for instance:

i was a violin section with 7 members, id use;
    violin ens1
    violin ens1
    violin ens1
    violin ens1
    violin ens1
    violin ens1
    all assigned to one channel?
    or;
    violin ens1
    violin ens2
    violin ens3
    violin ens1
    violin ens2
    violin ens3
    violin ens1
    all assigned to one channel?

I think I know what you mean, but still a little unsure.

You end up with something like this:

Gagli Ens 1
    Gagli Ens 2
    Gagli Ens 3
    Guarn Ens 1
    Guarn Ens 2
    Guarn Ens 3
    Strad Ens 1

All assigned to different channels for optimum control over each patch, you'd end up with one midi track to control each instrument. That way you could edit each one individually for better control. You can assign them all to the same midi channel, but you lose control over each patch, however when just plopping notes down, I usually do this. And when it's time to optimize the score, I then assign them to different midi channels and make individual midi tracks for each instrument.

FireGS,

Joseph has got it right. Do not combine like instruments where they are going to be playing in unison on the same MIDI channel (or even playing in unison on different MIDI channels, for that matter). Never combine Ens1 with the same Ens1, or Ens2 with the same Ens2, etc. They obviously share the same samples. Always try to avoid combining instruments that share the same samples.

As long as you avoid combining solo and ensemble instruments that use the same sample pool there should be no significant phasing problems. This is a consequence of the construction of the instruments. As an example:

Strad Ens1, Ens2, and Ens3 are derived from the Strad solo. Ens1, Ens2, and Ens3 do not share any samples with one another but ALL share samples with the Strad solo. So you would want to avoid combining any or all of Strad Ens1, Ens2, Ens3 with the Strad solo.

Here’s another possible combination of instruments for your example:

Violin 1 Gagli solo
    Violin 2 Strad Ens1
    Violin 2 Strad Ens2
    Violin 2 Strad Ens3
    Violin 3 Guarn Ens1
    Violin 3 Guarn Ens2
    Violin 3 Guarn Ens3

Notice that I added a solo instrument but didn’t use any of its derived ensemble instruments with it. None of the above instruments share common samples.

A second section of violins could use these same instruments only if there are no unison parts between sections. If there are going to be unison passages then it is best to build the two sections with different instruments.

Breaking these rules and combining instruments with common samples doesn't guarantee that audible problems will result it just increases the chances significantly. Better to play it safe.

Tom

ok, well, if i got it right, then lemme know.

Click Here

Feedback?

~FireGS

Sounds wonderful. Go with it. I can't wait to hear this completed. You rawk!

Rawk=word of the week

YAY!

*very happy*

*aparently rawks*

w00t!

~FireGS

Go Back to forum